Menu

Looking for a great room scent that isn't a candle

I knew someone who burned her entire condo down because her candle met her Sunday morning paper. I just can't get that picture out of my mind.

But I LOVE bringing beautiful scents into my home.

One time I smelled something great at a spa and spent a fortune to bring home that scent. It was oil with the little stick things poking out.

When we moved, I left it in the house to keep the house smelling good for potential buyers.

Ever since I can't seem to find anything at Target that really works. Yankee Candle oil/stick things are just . . . okay.

The air fresheners that you plug into the wall, frankly, smell kind of cheap.

Is the only route to spend the big bucks to get a good scent??

TIA!

Alley

If you can get your hands on a bunch of sweet annie, it smells wonderful and lasts forever. I get mine every year at an historical reenactment, so I'm not sure where you could find it as far as stores go. Eucalyptus smells wonderful too. And, of course, dried lavender. In winter, a pot simmering with some combination of citrus, cinnamon, and cloves smells amazing.

In winter, a pot simmering with some combination of citrus, cinnamon, and cloves smells amazing.

:iagree: In fact, I just buy ground cloves and put it in sachets around the house. I love the aroma of cloves! It's subtle, not overwhelming.

We also burn incense every morning, but that's a bit more obvious an aroma. No real risk of burning anything down. We insert sticks upright into vases or small decorative pots filled with sand, and the ashes fall right in - no mess. We also have an incense holder but it requires maintenance (cleaning up ash). We buy incense inexpensively at asian markets, but you can find it anywhere in any scent.

My girlfriend sells Scentsy stuff and loves it. I think it looks neat, I'm just too cheap for all of that. Her home smells great, but again - it's a noticeable smell rather than a subtle hint of something. I suppose your preference would dictate whether this is a good thing ... or not :)

We have the Febreze flameless luminary with the Willow Blossom shade. It smells really nice and looks pretty (and amazingly like a real luminary), but it can be overwhelming. I can't run it for very long or it gives me a headache. It might be better in a larger room or if I had one of the more subtle scents (the green tea is nice and I wish I'd gotten that). I still prefer natural oils though. We used to have a lamp ring like the one linked in the above post and was really nice until it got broken. :glare: I may have to get another one as I like a nice smelling house. I have to switch up the scents though as I get used to them and can't smell them after a month or so. If I switch them up though, I can smell them each time I do.

You can use candle warmers as an alternative to lit candles. I discovered these when we had young children and I didn't want open flames about. They plug in and gently melt your jarred candles or tarts and some will heat potpourri as well. You can get the idea at candlewarmers.com, but you can find them at Bed Bath and Beyond, Yankee Candle, most anywhere that sells scented products.