Menu

I love, love, love AAS!!!

kristinannie

I admit it...I have been having that grass is greener syndrome popping up in spelling. I hadn't don't much AAS and it seemed like kind of a pain to get out the whiteboard and sit down with the script. We just seemed to not get it in most days. Well, I have made it a priority. We finished Step 6 today and it was our first dictation. I had planned on doing everything orally and with the tiles, but I decided to try it with dictation. DS5 got all the words right and then wanted to do extra so we did some more from the practice list. He was so proud of himself for spelling all of those words. It was such a wonderful moment! I love how organized it is and how much it focuses on the phonics rules. It is also so easy for the teacher...no prep work! So, I have officially decided that the grass is greener on my side of the fence. I love AAS!!!!

Me too. For quite a while (during my research of what curriculum to use for each subject) I thought AAS looked too fussy for me. Too many working pieces, too much $, and too much one on one time.

My kids love it and it is working. We all enjoy it b/c it isn't humdrum workbook work :D And like you said - it is "pick up and go".

Love that feeling of success!

Is your board in a handy place? I'm sure you're trying to keep it out of reach of your little one! I finally re-oriented mine to a vertical format because it was easier to find space to hang it then, maybe that would work for you?

The other supplies I keep all organized in a box--here's a picture & description from a couple of years ago (I have the laminated dividers & new boxes now...I should take new pics, LOL!)

Merry :-)

Love that feeling of success!

Is your board in a handy place? I'm sure you're trying to keep it out of reach of your little one! I finally re-oriented mine to a vertical format because it was easier to find space to hang it then, maybe that would work for you?

The other supplies I keep all organized in a box--here's a picture & description from a couple of years ago (I have the laminated dividers & new boxes now...I should take new pics, LOL!)

Merry :-)

It is tucked behind a bookshelf. It isn't hard to get out and everything is organized great (I bought their box). It is just a lot of stuff to get out and we have to do it in the kitchen because it is a HUGE whiteboard so we leave the schoolroom. I have actually started doing it right before our unit studies because we do those in the kitchen. Everything else we do in the schoolroom at a little table at the kids' height.

I think I was a little intimidated by all of the notes in the margins and all of the pieces since I am new to homeschooling. But the proof is in the pudding. My five year old can spell real words and he is so proud!!!!! :D

Sometimes I find it's hard to get to as well, especially if we've had a break, but it does work SO well, and it isn't hard to do! I just 'mental block' sometimes. So I know what you mean!

We love AASher too.... I used to find it hard to get to too, but i've stopped being such a perfectionist about it and have decided that a little bit done every day just using the book, a piece of paper and a pencil, is betteer than not at all. I use the book to remind me which rules we need to review (the book shows the image of the rule cards in it, and by flipping quickly through the book it's easy to find them.... Easier than even taking the time to find where on earth I left our cards LOL.

When we do use the whiteboard, I keep it slid under the couch. It fits perfectly. :001_smile: