Menu

Nancy Drew - what age?

Mommy22alyns

My eldest starting reading Nancy Drew Notebooks, the younger series, when she was 5. Totally tame, just fine. She's grown tired of the series now at 6, but every once in a while she'll help herself to one of the regular books from my study (I have almost the whole collection from when I was a child).

My dd went through a Nancy Drew craze this past semester (at age 7). I skimmed the first one she read and found the vocabulary fantastic. She's stumbled across a couple that were a bit too old for her. One was set in Austria and had German words, place names, etc. that made it challenging for a young child. I've steered her away from several that I thought were a little too "ghost-centered." That's a personal decision for us though. Aside from the heavy use of ghost language in some, I would rather my dd read these than many of the modern books for children. The vocabulary is very rich and stories exciting for young girls. I do believe 7/8 is on the young end for the original series.

Oh my goodness, an illusion has been shattered! While looking into the Clue Crew series, I discovered that Carolyn Keene is a pseudonym! I had no idea! This is probably common knowledge, and I'm just the last to wake up to reality. I thought it was strange that the author of books released in the 1930s was still publishing today. Duh! I don't know why it matters to me that each book could have been slapped together by somebody different, it just feels cheaper now...

I started reading the original hard cover series when I was 8-9 in third grade. I loved those books and read all 70 some originals over the next few years. There was nothing objectionable to me in the books at the time.

I do remember Nancy being "captured" by the villain and having to break loose of her bonds and such. When my daughter is old enough to read them I will explain that in real life such dangerous situations do not usually have happy endings and some of the tactics Nancy uses will be useless.

In the early 90's a new paperback series of Nancy Drew books were published. I remember them saying the 90's version was to be a more a PG version. I did not care for the more modern Nancy and did not read them.

Nancy was a strong female heroine. A similar series would be the Trixie Belden books. I would also recommend the Cherry Ames Nurse series. Not sure if Bobbsey twins (?spelling) is also of this genre.

Just be aware that the reprinted versions are different than the original. Currently I think there are 3 versions. The originals (from the 30s-50s) use some outdated words (for things like flashlights) and some racial insensitivity. There was a update in the 60s-70s (tho some say they replaced one set of problems with another, mainly social/gender type) and the last I think in the 80s-90s. New modern books are being written now.

Each group has their plusses and minuses, but you might want to research that a bit when picking them up for your child. Point is Nancy Drew isn't constant. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Drew