Menu

(CC) If you were asked to teach a class at a Christian girls conference...

What would YOU speak/teach on? :confused: This is a conference for jr high/high school girls...about a thousand of them! :eek: My class would probably be for jr. high (6th through 8th grades) since that is the age I work with. I'm thinking of declining the opportunity, because I have never done anything like this before in my life, but part of me wants to take on the challenge. Arg. :tongue_smilie:

Want to brainstorm topic ideas with me? (By the way, this conference has nothing whatsoever to do with homeschool, though I am sure some girls attending will be homeschoolers)

Edited by Melissa in CA

Job skills? I know that 6th-8th grade seems young, but at that age many girls start taking babysitting jobs, and many are looking ahead to getting a part time after school job when they're in high school. You can talk about presenting yourself in a professional matter, what to do if you have a problem on the job with either coworkers or a boss/manager, how to make a resume/fill out an application, how to ask for a raise.

Many of these things are the same for volunteer positions, which so many high school kids take on now, too. Some volunteer positions are fairly competitive and will require a real interview and some sort of resume (if only so they have something on file about you).

As I said, I know that it seems young, but these are life skills that everyone should have and you have NO IDEA how many young women I've personally seen who have no idea how to dress appropriately for a job interview, and some of the stories I've heard from friends who actually work in HR. A basic understanding of how to navigate through jobs is something that will most likely serve them now or in the very near future.

ETA: You should also talk about the internet: they should never put anything online that they wouldn't want a boss to see in future years. People have lost jobs over old photos from high school or college that they put up on Facebook. It's DEFINITELY not too early to start talking about that: middle school and high school is where kids start using all the social networking sites like crazy, and something that they think is funny or cool now may not turn out to be if an employer googles them. Also, if they're applying for a babysitting job and their email is hawtgurlluvs2partee@yahoo.com, they should probably use a different email account to contact the parents.

Edited by momma2three

Job skills? I know that 6th-8th grade seems young, but at that age many girls start taking babysitting jobs, and many are looking ahead to getting a part time after school job when they're in high school. You can talk about presenting yourself in a professional matter, what to do if you have a problem on the job with either coworkers or a boss/manager, how to make a resume/fill out an application, how to ask for a raise.

Many of these things are the same for volunteer positions, which so many high school kids take on now, too. Some volunteer positions are fairly competitive and will require a real interview and some sort of resume (if only so they have something on file about you).

As I said, I know that it seems young, but these are life skills that everyone should have and you have NO IDEA how many young women I've personally seen who have no idea how to dress appropriately for a job interview, and some of the stories I've heard from friends who actually work in HR. A basic understanding of how to navigate through jobs is something that will most likely serve them now or in the very near future.

ETA: You should also talk about the internet: they should never put anything online that they wouldn't want a boss to see in future years. People have lost jobs over old photos from high school or college that they put up on Facebook. It's DEFINITELY not too early to start talking about that: middle school and high school is where kids start using all the social networking sites like crazy, and something that they think is funny or cool now may not turn out to be if an employer googles them. Also, if they're applying for a babysitting job and their email is hawtgurlluvs2partee@yahoo.com, they should probably use a different email account to contact the parents.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

I teach high school and this is definitely lacking in many of my students

I would talk to them about knowing your worth and let it lead into a primer on the red flags seen in abusive relationships. (this is not just about ROMANTIC relationships, can be a friendship, bullying situation, etc.)

IMO, too few kids these days recognize warning signs. They need to know!

ETA: I would focus more on What is Good/Right instead of 'how to notice the bad', kwim? Knowing that you are worth healthy relationships, not "watch our for bad ones" so much. Make sense? But, I WOULD ensure that they knew things like trying to isolate you from friends/family, belittling you, etc. are warning signs and you do NOT have to put up with that!

Some possibilities:

*using their speech to honor Christ (gossip, slander, course joking, encouragement/discouragement for starters but lots more here)

*the body of Christ (Romans 12) -- what the body of Christ is, is to look like, how we are to act toward one another (bless and do not curse; as far as it depends on you, live in peace, and lots more here). Lots of real life issues for most jr. high girls here -- how to welcome a newcomer or *friend* that is treating them badly; why not to form or encourage cliques; how to understand others that are different.

*the promises of God -- boy this could cover so much! Look for promises that address areas of need for jr. highers: security, love, a hope and future, gifted, equipped for every good work, and so much more!

That's off the top of my head. What a great group! These girls are at such a transitional stage and need so much poured into them. Bless you for ministering to them. I think most of all, they want to know they are beautiful, loved and accepted.

Lisa

crushes, peer pressure, feelings about your looks, regular devotions...

I would also inquire if the organization has any suggestions, and what did the girls hear about last year? and, whether the girls are "young", sheltered kids, or are up on all the latest trends, etc. Then you can gear your talk to their level.

Have fun!

When you are talking to this age sometimes you get a lot of blank stares, "I'm too cool for you" looks, but don't be put off. When you ask for questions, wait, because it will take them a few minutes to get brave enough to ask. Then the floodgates may open.

When you ask for questions, wait, because it will take them a few minutes to get brave enough to ask. Then the floodgates may open.

One thing our church has done, both for youth and even during sermons is to have folks text questions/comments in. This way they can sort of be (at least to the crowd of people gathered there) anonymous. We have found much more willingness to participate in "discussion" if, initially, questions are texted!

HTH

I second modesty. It's one class? For an hour? That would be hard to cover in that time frame. I did a summer class and used these books:

http://www.amazon.com/Hotness-Pocket-Bible-Study-Journal/dp/0800734149/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_4

http://www.amazon.com/Sexy-Girls-How-Hot-Too/dp/B001GVJBN4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315677251&sr=8-1

The class went over well. But all the girls in are modest already. One good thing is these books "tell it like it is" for guys looking at girls but then once the facts are out there, they leave it to the girl to decide what to wear.

Wow! Thanks everyone! These are all great suggestions.

When I was asked if I'd want to teach a class, I immediately laughed it off and said I'd have to pray and think about it. This was last night! Haha. When I got in bed my mind starting working overtime and so many things came to mind. So many topics could be discussed! I do know that whatever I decide to base my class on has to be...'me'...know what I mean? So having been a stay at home mom for the last 22 years kind of eliminates me from teaching about resumes, how to get a job, and whatnot because I honestly have no idea about that stuff. Great idea though! :D

I like the purity, self-image, modesty, honoring speech ideas. Ugh. I think I only get 30 minutes with them though, so whatever I do has to be pretty condensed. I also need to come up with some type of decor for my class....snazz it up to go with my theme. :001_huh: I'm supposed to throw in some sort of short activity into that 30 minutes as well. Nothing fancy, just a simple interactive something. An initial thought was to have them (anonymously) jot down on a piece of paper one thing they could change about themselves if they could. Then I could collect them and discuss some of them and take it back to how they were each fearfully and wonderfully created by God. That each girl is totally unique and totally special and that God made them the way they are for a reason.

I was also thinking I could teach from Philippians 4:8 and talk about how we, as girls, tend to react from feelings instead of truth. That we just assume someone doesn't like us, or assume they think this or that about us, when in fact we don't know that to be TRUE at all. That instead of doing that we should focus on what we know to be true and drop the rest (the gossip, etc,) meditating instead on whatever is true, honorable, right, etc. Ack. I don't know. These are just initial off-the cuff thoughts!

I actually have several months to come up with something so if you have more ideas or ways to flesh them out, please keep um coming!! You ladies are wonderful! Oh, and if you have any verse recommendations, perhaps a central verse to work from..?;)

I may be late to this party, but wanted to give a couple suggestions.

A friend and used to organize a two day conference for middle and high school girls. We had several break out sessions available, and here are the most popular, standing room only topics:

Dress to Look Your Best: Some teaching about modesty, but without lecturing or imposing rules. Dealt with body types and the current clothing styles that look best on each body type (long waist, short waist, long legs, short legs, tall, not so tall, etc. Not thin or over weight) as well as colors and how to put together outfits. There was mention of what teen guys think when they see how girls dress. Many of the girls were surprised at how teen guys immediately respond to some clothing styles that girls wear and got rid of some of their clothes. There were some girls pre-selected to model the different body types and some clothing so that it was a visual to point out positives and negatives of styles on body types and why some styles look better than others.

Make up: Very popular. Using a couple girls as models, this class taught how to apply make up for daytime and for dressy evenings. It taught about facial cleansing and moisturizing, touched on pimples and acne, and the underlying message was that make up should accentuate the girls' features, and not make people think, "Wow. She's wearing make up." Focus on making people view the girl's face as a whole, not just notice her make up. Taught make up types, colors, different looks and how to achieve them. Many girls really thought that the racoon-eye look was the goal, and were happy to learn how to properly apply make up in order to look their best. Too many girls were self-taught on applying makeup, or copied other girls who didn't know how to apply it.

Handling Difficult Situations: A how-to discussion on situations a teen may find herself in and options on how to handle them. Some topics were boyfriends and physical contact (or avoiding situations that are uncomfortable for the girl), abusive relationships, parent-child relationships, "mean girls" and how to respond. This did include scriptural guidance as well as practical things to say or do. Also dealt with parties and dangers that can arise, school situations like cheating, plagiarism, etc. Also talked about being a good employee, honesty, etc.

Nutrition: Taught about good nutrition and balanced diets, some dangers of popular diets, eating disorders and why they are harmful, some healthy, tasty recipes and lunch ideas that are easy to make for snacks or school lunches.No dieting ideas were presented as this topic was more for general good nutrition and why it is important, as well as how to evaluate whether or not a food is healthy or not based on nutritional information.