Menu

Just mentioned to dh that the tire air pressure alert light is on in my new car.

Don't know what your weather is like in AL but in TX, almost everyone I know had their low pressure tire warnings come on the day after the record-breaking heat ended. We went from having highs well over 100 to highs of 85-87 and lows in the high 50s/low 60s. It will be back up to high 90s by the end of the week. My lights lights have already gone out again, as a matter of fact.

Anyway, I can't help you with your actual question (sorry! :D), but do be wary of filling tires during a cold snap if your air is going to heat up again. We had an epidemic of blow-outs this summer from high temps and full tires.

Did it just get cold for the first time?

My Kia has a hypersensitive sensor so that when it gets cold and the air contracts, just slightly, it is enough to trigger it-and once it's triggered, it has to be reset or it will stay on-even if the pressure is actually fine later in the day.

Regardless, take it to whoever does your regular maintenance-they can check the pressure and add more air (of whatever type it is) if it really needs it. It's probably nothing.

Unless you're flying around in your own fighter jet - skip the trendy way to empty your pockets faster and just go use the free air* at the gas station. Use your own gauge though - most of the gas station gauges work about as well as a popsicle stick.

*(which is something like 80% nitrogen already)

Unless you're flying around in your own fighter jet - skip the trendy way to empty your pockets faster and just go use the free air* at the gas station. Use your own gauge though - most of the gas station gauges work about as well as a popsicle stick.

:lol: Free stuff is nice.

I will say that when my three were tiny, my air lights came on and I was too tired and frazzled to do it myself. I drove it into the Wal-Mart bay and asked them to do it. They did, for no charge. OP, you could give that a whirl, and keep your money to save up for your fighter jet. :tongue_smilie: They would probably even know how much pressure to put in depending on your current weather and forecast. They have sense like that...usually.

Yes, after Tropical Storm Lee, the heat dropped dramatically. It will surely be back soon. :glare:

Don't know what your weather is like in AL but in TX, almost everyone I know had their low pressure tire warnings come on the day after the record-breaking heat ended. We went from having highs well over 100 to highs of 85-87 and lows in the high 50s/low 60s. It will be back up to high 90s by the end of the week. My lights lights have already gone out again, as a matter of fact.

Anyway, I can't help you with your actual question (sorry! :D), but do be wary of filling tires during a cold snap if your air is going to heat up again. We had an epidemic of blow-outs this summer from high temps and full tires.

Did it just get cold for the first time?

My Kia has a hypersensitive sensor so that when it gets cold and the air contracts, just slightly, it is enough to trigger it-and once it's triggered, it has to be reset or it will stay on-even if the pressure is actually fine later in the day.

Regardless, take it to whoever does your regular maintenance-they can check the pressure and add more air (of whatever type it is) if it really needs it. It's probably nothing.

Mine's a Kia, too. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the advice. I hate it when "they" make things more complicated than they need to be. And more expensive, of course. :glare:

Free?! I thought everyone paid! :glare:

I mean, who in the world charges for AIR??! Cheapo gas stations!

I haven't seen "free" air at a gas station in ages... one of the reasons I keep quarters in my car.

I haven't seen "free" air at a gas station in ages... one of the reasons I keep quarters in my car.

…and I've never seen air that you pay for! :laugh:

hmmm. i don't like ending a sentence with "for"…but how else can that be worded? "i've never seen air for which you must pay"? :tongue_smilie:

…and I've never seen air that you pay for! :laugh:

hmmm. i don't like ending a sentence with "for"…but how else can that be worded? "i've never seen air for which you must pay"? :tongue_smilie:

I wonder if it's a regional thing. Haven't seen it free in GA or TN in ages. And I know what you mean about ending a sentence with "for"...