Menu

What do you do for art k/1st?

Runningmom80

I picked up Drawing with Children by Mona Brooks and had grandiose visions of my girls and I doing art together. However, I had a hard time implementing it and devoting the time and energy into it that it needed. So it sat on the bookshelf.

Then my dh found himself working from home a lot more than anticipated so I recruited him to help out with the girls' education. He now teaches art on Fridays. Since its the only subject he teaches he can focus more time and energy onto it than I had. So far its been working out. :)

We love Drawing With Children and its way of teaching art. I recommend it if you can spend some time on it.

My kids and I are enjoying Evan Moor's How to Teach Art to Children. I find it fairly easy to get done (as much as I put off art, when I actually do it, I'm like "Why did I procrastinate on this? It was easy!"). I'm not artsy, and neither is my son, though he enjoys "art". He doesn't like to sit and color, but he enjoys doing basic stuff, especially if there isn't a "right" way to do it (he's a perfectionist). Some of the stuff in here is making a design with just lines or just curves, things like that. It teaches the very basics of art - lines, shapes, colors, etc. Then at the end, it goes through some different artists' pieces, from paintings to sculptures.

We went to museums, did occasional museum programs, had an art a day book for looking at great works of art, and kept around books on drawing projects and methods as well as good materials for inspiration. No program necessary, I think. Not that it hurts, just that I can't imagine buying one unless my kids were gaga for it or something.

I'm using the one called Make it Pop!, on pop art, with kids aged 5-12 in my co-op class. Each book features a different school of art: impressionism, expressionism, abstract, surrealism, and pop. There is a very brief explanation of the school, then the art of 6 different artists from that school is explored. Again, a very brief discussion of the artist, then 2-3 activities based on the artist's work are offered. The activities are very doable, and they have just enough instruction so it's not frustrating, but still leave a lot of room for creativity on behalf of the kids. There are also pictures of actual kids' work, too, although most of those are from 9- and 10- year olds.

They are written for the above age range, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them with a K and 1st grader, as the amount of information is just right (could be beefed up with other resources for use with only older kids), and there are enough activities to choose from that you can probably find at least one per artist that will fit your kids' abilities.

Here's a link to the pop art book. If you scroll down to the "customers who bought this item also bought," you can see the other books.

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Pop-Activities-Adventures-Explorers/dp/0823025071/ref=pd_sim_b_4

I am artistically and musically challenged so we ended up with Atelier for art. Even buying the Level 1 supply list at Michael's was a bit challenging for me (I had no idea there would be 100s of kinds of paintbrushes to browse as I was trying to find the ones on the list!) so I know I am doing the right thing by not attempting to teach art myself. :)

My kids and I are enjoying Evan Moor's How to Teach Art to Children.

We are enjoying this program, too, with a K & 2nd grader. We also do art appreciation, sort of Charlotte Mason style, one artist at a time. I try to tie in the aspects we are learning in the above book with any picture studies we are doing.

For K, art was incorporated in FIAR. I loved their living books approach so much that when we finished FIAR for K, I looked for something similar and came up with Art Through Children's Literature. It uses the Caldecott books as a basis for teaching art technique. The lessons are very simple to teach.

oh, this sounds great too!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I needed a starting point, my kid is not a coloring and artsy kind of kid. He hates it, so I'm just trying to get him warmed up to the idea some way.