Menu

Math U See...are there really no tears?

sthompson

I have a seven y/o ds and a five(almost six) y/o dd both using MM. Ds has struggled with it in the past but not to the point of switching curr. Dd is having difficulty adding in the book but there is a disconnect of some kind. I can ask her the same 2+3=5 using people or kittens and she knows it. I will be looking at MUS this week but would like to know if this really is a change for the better. I also have a four y/o ds whom I think will need the hands on approach of MUS. So my question is, are there really no more tears with this program?

Thanks so much,

Stephanie

In addition to this being an individual-kid question, there's also the developmental question. Many younger kids do better with manipulative-based curricula. Also keep in mind that MM 1 is first grade, not K (though DO read about recommendations for math games and manipulatives in the MM 1 notes to the teacher). You could either add manipulatives and games to MM 1, or use something more manipulative-based this year and then move back to MM later (I love MM and have had great success with it, but I haven't used it in the younger years). Besides MUS, there are other manipulative-based curricula you might consider (Right Start, Miquon).

Your 5 year old may not be ready for MM1. It is a 1st grade program, so you're using it a year early. It may still not be the best fit for her later on, but right now, I would guess this is an issue with placement. You might want to try an advanced K program or a slower 1st grade program. I've heard that Horizons K is a good choice for kids that have done a K program but aren't ready for a 1st grade program.

I'm not sure how you can tell what kind of learner your 4 year old will be? Most 4 year olds need more manipulatives. That's developmentally appropriate. It doesn't mean that 2 years from now when he does a 1st grade program that it will have to be all hands on. I would leave his learning style out of the equation at this point. Select a program appropriate for the DD that is currently struggling.

We've used MUS for almost three years now, and I'd say that tears are avoidable if you are flexible with the program. My oldest son is accelerated in math, so his computational skills are way ahead of his writing/perceptual skills ... if we hit something that makes him teary, we adjust our strategy. Sometimes I'll deliver lessons orally for a while; we usually do either the even or odd problems on a given day; we have used chalk on the driveway, super-sized paper, and graph paper to do some of the lessons -- we use 1/2" ruled graph paper for his regrouping problems especially. I found he needed more review of old concepts (like addition and subtraction, we're on multiplication now) so I added some Kumon sheets, math Wrap-Ups, and now the excellent Xtra Math program. We take breaks and have short races or do "obstacle courses" over the couch, etc.

He reports that he loves math. :)

This has been a terrific program for us, with the uncluttered pages, cumulative approach, and adaptability. And though I've been very flexible with the implementation I don't spend much time on my adaptations -- it's pretty much open-and-go.

also, if math is generally unpopular, you might try activities from Family Math once a week.

OK wait, I did think of other times with MUS that brought on crying for one dd. She was coming home from several years in PS and she had learned how to do multiplication/division/fractions a certain way. Introducing a new way was not greeted with enthusiasm with that particular child Learning a new way drove her to tears. But she did that with EVERY math book.

My other kids have done fine with it.

Agreed....the number of problems sometimes gets my twins down. However, I take one sheet a week and make stickers of the answers. Like these http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Removable-Color-Coding-Labels/dp/B00005QXZF/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1315332845&sr=8-8

I write the answers in random order and they just have to stick the sticker on. For some reason they love it!

That's so funny, I feel MUS has less problems, or just the right amount. ;) But that's for my 3rd, now 4th, grader. We used to do RS until that brought tears and frustration in 2nd grade. We tried SM for 3rd (after trying MM first) and by about Feb or so we had to drop it. It was very frustrating, the presentation was confusing and moved too quickly without letting him learn what they taught. (We did not use IP, etc...these may have helped, but really, it was already too much work for him to get through.)

I finally bought MUS, and he LOVED it. No more fighting and tears (most days, sometimes he still whines lol.) It's been great. I just tried to get him back to MM today, but he just hates the presentation, and at this point, I think the new way of learning things it uses (for him, not having done this program) is roadblock for him. Looks like we are staying with MUS, and that's just fine!!! He tested just fine last year with it, and math that gets done is better than math that doesn't! It really changed math for us. We were literally screaming at each other everyday...what kind of learning was that?!?!

Math U See had been a perfect fit for us. My daughter never struggles with math. Another approach would probably confuse her, but Math U See makes it so easy, it's almost boring. :D She just ALWAYS understands, ALWAYS knows the answer, ALWAYS sees the picture perfectly in her head... even word problems are EASY!!!

It will really depend on the child! I used MUS with my oldest and switched, given the choice she doesn't want to go back to it. She's a hands on learner and loved the blocks. But the way the pages are laid out and having a page that is pretty much all one topic did not work well for her.

We switched to MEP, it's also hands on and she loves it.

I still think MUS is a great program and I will use parts of it with my other children. I think the decimal street is a great way to introduce place value! The blocks are wonderful to.

I'll be a different voice here:

I don't think you need a different program for the 5yo; I'd strongly suggest backing off formal / written math entirely for a little while and perhaps reading Ruth Beechick, who will assure you that it will all turn out okay! :-)

Count forwards and backwards, skip count if she enjoys it, count up and down stairs, share page numbers, chapter numbers, prices and every other kind of number. Cook together with fractions, let her measure and scoop and pour and use blocks or rods or whatever manipulative you want, and give it 2-3 months before trying ANY other program.

Sorry if this sounds harsh... sometimes, math problems are due to the wrong program, but even a perfectly good program won't work if you introduce it too soon. Sounds like your dd is not ready to leave the concrete / manipulative stage and there is no intellectual reason she ought to (again, I think Ruth Beechick talks about this).

(eta: this way could save you some money, too!)

HTH!

Guest Cathmamax7

My 7 year old didn't care a lot for Math U See. Too much repetiveness for her.

Melanie

married to my love for 18 years, mama to Zach, Rebekah, Mary, Rachel, Theresa, Laura and #7 due in Nov!

Both my oldest cried every MUS lesson. One cried because she was bored to tears doing the same type of problem all year. A whole page of +8 was the final straw for her. She switched to CLE math (spiral program) and has been happy ever since. The other one cried because MUS didn't make sense to her and she was frustrated by the same problems all year. She uses MM now and her mathematical understanding has blossomed beautifully. I actually took her back to level 1 and moved through the levels as quickly as ability allowed. We had holes to fill coming from MUS.

So, I can't recommend MUS based on our experience with it. My oldest used it for 2.5 levels. My second used it for 1.5. It might be a good fit for other kids, but it was a mistake for us. My one positive takeaway is Decimal Street (place value).

For my oldest, MUS was the only program that she willingly did. No tears and no whining. I can't say she liked it... but then again she hates all math. Last spring, we used a little MM to reinforce specific skills, and she hated it. She asked to go back to MUS. And although she hates math, she can do it and understand it. I can't ask for anything else in a program. :001_smile:

parias1126, do you use two levels at once or are you doing two back to back in a year? Sorry to ask, but curiousity got the better of me. :tongue_smilie:

Mu DD had a lot of trouble with memorizing her facts so the end of last Winter we did Alpha all over again. We finished it the last 6 weeks of school. It's amazing how much more she understood doing it at 8 years old than she did at 6 years old. We just started our new school year today and completed the first 3 chapters of Beta. This will be her 2nd time through Beta as well so we are probably going to fly through it. My DS7 is keeping at her pace, but he is very mathy. I'm hoping to have started Gamma in the next 8 weeks and have completed it by the end of the school year.

Mu DD had a lot of trouble with memorizing her facts so the end of last Winter we did Alpha all over again. We finished it the last 6 weeks of school. It's amazing how much more she understood doing it at 8 years old than she did at 6 years old. We just started our new school year today and completed the first 3 chapters of Beta. This will be her 2nd time through Beta as well so we are probably going to fly through it. My DS7 is keeping at her pace, but he is very mathy. I'm hoping to have started Gamma in the next 8 weeks and have completed it by the end of the school year.

This is what I'm doing with my 8yr old twins...and they are getting it SOOO Much faster this time.