Menu

Ivanhoe or Man In the Iron Mask -World Lit. DD Grade 10

My daughter does not exactly love literature. This year she did enjoy To Kill a Mockingbird, one of the only books I have heard her say she liked.

We will be reading much of it together so which do you think is both good in plot and would be enjoyable to listen to?

Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott -VS- The Man In the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas both Signet Classics

Thank you in advance for any opinions!

:bigear: Lisa

• 1 year later...

Lol, I haven't read the Man with the Iron Mask so I cant compare, but Ivanhoe was a surprising hit with my two last year. It is not something I would personally have got through more than a couple of chapters of- it really is archaic and wordy- but I read it aloud to them and they were enthralled- and I enjoyed it because they did! Thank goodness I didnt read anything about it beforehand or I mightnt have even tried it.

I haven't read either, but my oldest two have read both. They loved Ivanhoe, but more the "story" of it, not the story-telling. My son says the story line is rambling and winding, even though he loved it. Iron Mask was more straightforward and easier to follow (and was also great!). :001_smile:

There was a BBC (?) miniseries of Ivanhoe that we watched. The kids really liked that. They couldn't get into the book, although may still do that. At least, though, they got the story of it. They enjoyed The Once and Future King more (which is vaguely about that time period).

I'd go with Dumas, but I'm biased because he one of my favorite authors. Ivanhoe is a great story, but it is a bit difficult to get through. And if you daughter isn't especially into literature, you'd probably do better with Dumas because he is more readable, IMO.