Menu

No Homeschoolers Allowed

My DH just sent me his email - I don't know where he found it, but I checked the links....

NO HOMESCHOOLERS

By now I'm sure you have heard about Subway's essay contest "Every Sandwich Tells a Story." Log on to the web page and read all about the contest. Contestants get to complete a story from four different starter scenarios like "The mysterious meatball."

But scroll down a bit more. Read the rules at the bottom of the page. If you don't want to take the time to do that I'll just repeat the rules for you here:

"Contest is open only to legal US residents, over the age of 18 with children in either elementary, private or parochial schools that serve grades PreK-6. No home schools will be accepted."

Well now, that's a bit odd, isn't it? If you are schooled at home by your parents you aren't allowed to participate in this contest! What could possibly be the reason for this? Do we have some promotions people at Subway who are somehow dead-set against home schooling? Did some group (teacher's unions?) bring pressure to bear here?

Here's a "customer service form" from the Subway website. Perhaps you have something you would like to say. Suddenly I'm not all that fond of Subway sandwiches. Funny how that happens.

BMC <><

This has been posted several times on this board already. I mention that, because there were also follow-ups from Subway/Scholastic defining why home schoolers were not included in this particular contest. The prize is a prize for schools...

I do think they could have handled it better (perhaps assigning the prize to the local public school or a school of one's choice), but I don't think they did it because of some prejudice against home schoolers.

Why is it so inportant for home schooled kids to receive $5,000 in play/athletic equipment for their back yard?

Sometimes we are not included because WE DO NOT NEED the prize.

Why begrudge the poor "out schooled" kids a little play time on something nice?

Not being included in something is not discrimination in a bad way.....IT JUST DOESN'T APPLY TO US!

I wish everyone would get over it already!

If you want your kids to enter the contest - put them in public school (where they are lucky to get any free play time) and maybe they can win a play yard for that school.

My DH just sent me his email - I don't know where he found it, but I checked the links....

NO HOMESCHOOLERS

By now I'm sure you have heard about Subway's essay contest "Every Sandwich Tells a Story." Log on to the web page and read all about the contest. Contestants get to complete a story from four different starter scenarios like "The mysterious meatball."

But scroll down a bit more. Read the rules at the bottom of the page. If you don't want to take the time to do that I'll just repeat the rules for you here:

"Contest is open only to legal US residents, over the age of 18 with children in either elementary, private or parochial schools that serve grades PreK-6. No home schools will be accepted."

Well now, that's a bit odd, isn't it? If you are schooled at home by your parents you aren't allowed to participate in this contest! What could possibly be the reason for this? Do we have some promotions people at Subway who are somehow dead-set against home schooling? Did some group (teacher's unions?) bring pressure to bear here?

Here's a "customer service form" from the Subway website. Perhaps you have something you would like to say. Suddenly I'm not all that fond of Subway sandwiches. Funny how that happens.

BMC <><

homeschools are private schools (legally in my state this is the definition) so what does it matter. Give your school a name and don't elaborate on the location. :001_smile:

If they want to make an issue of it call HSLDA.

Why is it so inportant for home schooled kids to receive $5,000 in play/athletic equipment for their back yard?

Not being included in something is not discrimination in a bad way.....IT JUST DOESN'T APPLY TO US!

If you want your kids to enter the contest - put them in public school (where they are lucky to get any free play time) and maybe they can win a play yard for that school.

But Subway could have given it to a local park, church or school of the winning home schooler's choice.

I know we have a nice size homeschool association and if the equipment went to a local park or church, possibly even a private school, they would allow the homeschool association members to use it whenever they wanted. So it didn't have to go in someone's back yard. I know our local parks and recreation would have loved to have the equipment donated for all to use.

Also, part of the winning prize is a basket of goodies from Scholastic for your home, Subway gift cards, and of course runner's up they could recieve these. It wasn't just $5,000 in equipment.

You know, I know it starts to sound like people are really worked up when a topic resurfaces this many times, but I think OP *just* discovered this problem.

As far as the $5000, I don't think anyone begrudges the ps students this $. The comments I've read regarding the contest have mostly suggested donating that amt.

I imagine people who are upset had something like this happen: Take kids to eat at Subway. Oh, look, a writing contest. Hey, kids, this might be fun. The strange meatball...hmm...how would you end that story? A pleasant conversation ensues over lunch. Proud hs'ing mama rushes kids home to actually write down & flesh out the stories they've just narrated.

Only *then* does she see the comment about no hs'ers. Partly, she's afraid dc will be disappointed now; partly she's disappointed. There seem to be so many occasions when her dc get singled out for being hs'ers. Not as many as the previous generation faced, but enough to make her sometimes wonder if she's doing the right thing. Is she being fair to her dc?

She hasn't noticed the $5000 sports equipment prize yet, so that hasn't occurred to her. By the time it does, she's already focused on the "rights of hs'ers." Kwim? And the rights of hs'ers are not to be taken for granted. There is the flitting concern that even though this is only Subway, this contest could set a precedent, tip the scales a smidge.

I think if she'd read the info about the $5000 sports equipment first, she'd be less upset. But still... I guess I always think it's a little strange when an *individual* contest results in a school-wide prize. I mean, what happens when the winning child's father gets transferred soon after? Or thugs vandalize the equipment? I tend to think group prizes are better given for group efforts, but that's a separate thread. And I don't mean to complain, just muse.

homeschools are private schools (legally in my state this is the definition) so what does it matter. Give your school a name and don't elaborate on the location. :001_smile:

If they want to make an issue of it call HSLDA.

Soooo......even though it says no homeschooled kids it's OK to lie? Or is absence of the truth not a lie in your book? It may be considered "private school" in your state - but it still takes place AT HOME.

Does any mom here (or dad) REALLY feel they need 5g for their backyard more than a huge group of kids who are forced to sit at a desk for most of the day?

I suppose I would lie for food if I were starving........but this is silly.

You know, I know it starts to sound like people are really worked up when a topic resurfaces this many times, but I think OP *just* discovered this problem.

... I guess I always think it's a little strange when an *individual* contest results in a school-wide prize. I mean, what happens when the winning child's father gets transferred soon after? Or thugs vandalize the equipment? I tend to think group prizes are better given for group efforts, but that's a separate thread. And I don't mean to complain, just muse.

:iagree:

;)

Soooo......even though it says no homeschooled kids it's OK to lie? Or is absence of the truth not a lie in your book? It may be considered "private school" in your state - but it still takes place AT HOME.

Does any mom here (or dad) REALLY feel they need 5g for their backyard more than a huge group of kids who are forced to sit at a desk for most of the day?

I suppose I would lie for food if I were starving........but this is silly.

No lying. The information is all on their form. I think that entering our kids in the competition--with all their required information--is the way to go.

Their form doesn't have a box to check if you're homeschooled or not. If they question it or kick it back, "Our school is legally a private school." And if they push back then ask them if it's OK to have HSLDA give them a call.

Be honest. And the truth will win them over.

It is more a matter of persuading Subway that they've made a bad decision. Personally I've sent them an email about it.

As far as the $5000, I don't think anyone begrudges the ps students this $. The comments I've read regarding the contest have mostly suggested donating that amt.

I imagine people who are upset had something like this happen: Take kids to eat at Subway. Oh, look, a writing contest. Hey, kids, this might be fun. The strange meatball...hmm...how would you end that story? A pleasant conversation ensues over lunch. Proud hs'ing mama rushes kids home to actually write down & flesh out the stories they've just narrated.

Only *then* does she see the comment about no hs'ers. Partly, she's afraid dc will be disappointed now; partly she's disappointed. There seem to be so many occasions when her dc get singled out for being hs'ers. Not as many as the previous generation faced, but enough to make her sometimes wonder if she's doing the right thing. Is she being fair to her dc?

She hasn't noticed the $5000 sports equipment prize yet, so that hasn't occurred to her. By the time it does, she's already focused on the "rights of hs'ers." Kwim? And the rights of hs'ers are not to be taken for granted. There is the flitting concern that even though this is only Subway, this contest could set a precedent, tip the scales a smidge.

I think if she'd read the info about the $5000 sports equipment first, she'd be less upset. But still... I guess I always think it's a little strange when an *individual* contest results in a school-wide prize. I mean, what happens when the winning child's father gets transferred soon after? Or thugs vandalize the equipment? I tend to think group prizes are better given for group efforts, but that's a separate thread. And I don't mean to complain, just muse.

I get what you're saying. However, the world is not "fair".

Is it fair that I have to walk everywhere when my car breaks down and yet some disabled person gets a car donated to him and gets to park up close to the store? Is it fair that my legs work and his do not?

It's a silly argument - that of walking and fairness. I'd rather have to walk everywhere and have working legs than drive in a new "disabled friendly" car. I certainly don't think there is much "fairness" going on in public or private mainstream schools - that's why I homeschool.

Perhaps the homeschool moms who are sooooo pissed off should think about the contest starter's point of view. Maybe he drove past a dilapitated school yard one too many times and thought it would be nice to give some play yard a boost. Perhaps he looked inside and saw the kids chained to their desks. Perhaps he was trying to be nice?

If everyone wants to be pissed off - well - make it "fair." Put your kids in a crappy school and they too can compete for the prize.

No lying. The information is all on their form. I think that entering our kids in the competition--with all their required information--is the way to go.

Their form doesn't have a box to check if you're homeschooled or not. If they question it or kick it back, "Our school is legally a private school." And if they push back then ask them if it's OK to have HSLDA give them a call.

Be honest. And the truth will win them over.

It is more a matter of persuading Subway that they've made a bad decision. Personally I've sent them an email about it.

Yes - they have made a bad decision. Why on earth would anyone want mainstream schooled children to have more fun than they already do practically chained to a desk all day? God knows my poor dd who can pee whenever she needs to, or snack whenever her body tells her she needs calories, and who gets plenty of fresh air and sunshine is quite disadvantaged because we do not even own a swingset! Poor us that the world is our playground and we can't enter the contest.

Actually, that response is from Scholastic. As far as I know, there hasn't been a response from Subway yet.

I think that Scholastic is pretty aware how much of its business comes from homeschoolers. We register as such to get into their sales, lots of homeschool groups use their flyers. In the past they have been very friendly toward homeschoolers, and I think that will continue. But Subway has NO idea how many homeschoolers there are. It's not like we register as such before we buy our sandwiches there.

My guess is that the promotion department at Subway wrote the copy. I can't imagine that the "powers that be" at Subway had any input whatsoever--why would corporate honchos even look at the rules for a kids' contest? At best they would know the contest was occurring. Perhaps they did exclude homeschoolers based on the prizes (although most of the prizes are individual, there is only one "group" prize), but Scholastic has handled this type of prizing out for years, and they do give awards to homeschoolers. I received another email confirming this. Group prizes simply are designated to the homeschool group or school or local library, etc, of the winner's choice. It is also possible that the individual who wrote the copy thinks that homeschools are "unofficial" and didn't want to support them.

Regardless, I think it is indeed important to respond. While some of you may live in states where homeschooling is well regarded, common and easy, others of us do not. Even here in California the recent court case threw a lot of people into a panic--could it happen to us? Probably not... but just reading how many folks here have less-than-supportive family members is a reminder that the public perception of homeschooling is far from positive across the board. I can tell you that if my Mom ever read a sign that said "no home schools" she'd be in a tizzy that I'm ruining their opportunities for life since clearly they aren't accepted as well as other schools. She's managed to keep her complaining to a minimum, but I know she thinks we're living some sort of bizarre alternative lifestyle.

Many people have also posted (in the other related threads) that there are so many other opportunities for homeschoolers, so why worry about it? But that also isn't true everywhere. Local co-ops, homeschooling stores, and support groups are not a reality everywhere. Here in CA, and in many states, we do not have access to local school resources at all, though I know there are people here whose kids can be part of band or drama or whatever. It all depends on where you live. Even our local paper--the LA Times--asks that kids submit their school and classroom if they want their writing to appear on the "kids pages". Would the publish it without that info? Maybe--but I've never seen a submission from a homeschooler published.

We're at a critical time in the development of homeschooling. It's becoming mainstream. In many places it already is. But many of us still face opposition from local authorities, or family, or the public. (Just Monday I was asked by a stranger, "Are you or your husband a certified teacher? Then how can you educate your children?") There is still a need for advocacy if all homeschoolers are going to find the support and acceptance that they deserve. Maybe a homeschooled child wouldn't win the contest. But everyone who enters will see those words just above the submit button: "No home schools".

Yes - they have made a bad decision. Why on earth would anyone want mainstream schooled children to have more fun than they already do practically chained to a desk all day? God knows my poor dd who can pee whenever she needs to, or snack whenever her body tells her she needs calories, and who gets plenty of fresh air and sunshine is quite disadvantaged because we do not even own a swingset! Poor us that the world is our playground and we can't enter the contest.

So you're saying that only disadvantaged schools should enter this contest?

Exactly, and this is just what happened here.

The system won't let me rep you yet - man, how much spreading around do you have to do? Anyway you said this fabulously Aubrey. :)

Subway apologizes to home schoolers

May 28, 2008

Your efforts made a difference!

Today, Subway apologized for excluding home schoolers from its "Every Sandwich Tells a Story Contest." AFA has verified a newly released apology from Subway by its partnering Scholastic public relations department.

The apology reads:

Regarding your concerns about the Subway contest that excludes home schools from contest eligibility, Scholastic and Subway apologize to all individuals who have taken offense at this. Our intention was never to make independent schooled children feel discriminated against or excluded from this specific promotion.

Throughout the course of the year Scholastic runs a number of contests and sweepstakes that are open to all teachers and students. The eligibility of this contest in particular was solely put in place to award a large group of children with the grand prize of $5,000 worth of athletic equipment. We do however understand how home- schooled children could benefit from this type of prizing and will make sure eligibility is open to everyone in future promotions.

We appreciate your feedback and will make sure a similar situation does not happen in the future.

I want to thank you for taking time to contact Subway. AFA has thanked them on your behalf.

Thank you for caring enough to get involved. If you feel our efforts are worthy of support, would you consider making a small tax-deductible contribution?

Sincerely,

Donald E. Wildmon,

Founder and Chairman

American Family Association

Donate with confidence to AFA

(gifts are tax-deductible)

There are elementary school nights at both McDonalds and Subway restaurants here. From 4-7pm, go in and eat, and the restaurants will donate x% (5%? I don't know) to the school.

I have never once seen them do it for a homeschool group, even one as big and organized as our county group is here.

Grocery stores here give a percentage of their sales to a school if the school signs up with them for a code, and the code is declared by shoppers as their purchases are rung up. Our countywide homeschool group doesn't have a code, so we can't get the discount.

These things just don't bother me. I don't need it to be fair. I don't need equal treatment. I've chosen the narrower path. If I want to raise money for our church or homeschool group, I suppose I can start working on that. Or I can complain that these independent businesses aren't "fair" instead. If I had a business, I would resent not being able to give money to certain charities or causes without all the other charities and causes crying foul.

For this matter, why don't Scout groups get the money from these contests? Shouldn't Scout parents be up in arms, that the money doesn't go to Scouts, either? Isn't it the same thing as a homeschooler wanting the $5K? Wouldn't a scout put the money to good use for the community also? I know our scouts are preparing to build a scout hut, and that money sure would come in handy....

What really killed me in one of the original stories about Subway not handling homeschools was about a homeschooling father who was going to enter the contest on behalf of his 3 year old kid. Doh, it was a kids' contest! And he was griping about how mean Subway was!

What really killed me in one of the original stories about Subway not handling homeschools was about a homeschooling father who was going to enter the contest on behalf of his 3 year old kid. Doh, it was a kids' contest! And he was griping about how mean Subway was!

I've hesitated to bring it up, but I *do* see the potential for issues of accountability for homeschools in a contest like this, and I think a submission on behalf of a 3 year old would certain be a problem. I suppose the kid dictated the story? :leaving:

I get what you're saying. However, the world is not "fair".

Is it fair that I have to walk everywhere when my car breaks down and yet some disabled person gets a car donated to him and gets to park up close to the store? Is it fair that my legs work and his do not?

It's a silly argument - that of walking and fairness. I'd rather have to walk everywhere and have working legs than drive in a new "disabled friendly" car. I certainly don't think there is much "fairness" going on in public or private mainstream schools - that's why I homeschool.

Perhaps the homeschool moms who are sooooo pissed off should think about the contest starter's point of view. Maybe he drove past a dilapitated school yard one too many times and thought it would be nice to give some play yard a boost. Perhaps he looked inside and saw the kids chained to their desks. Perhaps he was trying to be nice?

If everyone wants to be pissed off - well - make it "fair." Put your kids in a crappy school and they too can compete for the prize.

Karen,

First, I want to say, I don't see this contest as a hill to die on. I think that's part of your point, & I agree w/ that.

As far as life not being fair, that's true, too. I guess the question is, do we embrace unfairness or stand up against it & fight it?

There are absolutely times when it's appropriate to just shrug & look the other way. There are also times when it's important to say something, on some level.

I imagine there were people who told Rosa Parks that "It's just a seat on a bus," rolled their eyes & told her she was lucky to get a ride at all. I imagine there were people who felt like it was overkill to fight over taxation w/ England or states' rights or women's lib.

This is just a Subway writing contest. Personally? I didn't write a letter. I don't care that much. But I see why some people do. I see why some people might want to write a letter at least, & ultimately, I think we all benefit from people like this, who remind the rest of the world--whether it's public schools or the British or whoever--that we're here, that we've got dollars to spend at their businesses, that we won't "give up" whatever it is they're asking us to silently relinquish.

Mostly, my point is that it's not about some of us begrudging some of them some playground equipment. It's not about the playground equipment at all. It's about them begrudging our children their status as students of legitimate schools.

I have no dog in this fight. That is to say, I think the exclusion was unwise, but for Pete's sake, those Story Starters are lame-o. ;)

That said, I did just receive this in an email from the Free Market Foundation which states that Subway has changed the contest:

Subway Rights Their Wrong

Subway sandwich shop put a bitter taste in many mouths when it decided to hold a student essay contest-but told homeschoolers they could not participate. The chain restaurant's Every Sandwich Tells a Story offers students prizes and the opportunity to have their essay published on the Subway Website and in Scholastic's Parent & Child Magazine. Originally, the contest advertisement extended the contest to "children who attend elementary, private or parochial schools that serve graders preK-6. No home schools will be accepted." In a display of public strength, homeschoolers and parental rights proponents rallied their voices in criticism of Subway's discrimination, and just this morning the sandwich chain changed its competition to include homeschoolers. Good for them. It's foolish for any company not to reach out to a huge population of families who exercise their parental rights and undertake such a great responsibility.

So, yay them...I guess? :tongue_smilie:

ETA: I did not go out to the Interwebs for confirmation that 'tis true, btw. Batteries not included. ;)