Menu

Never say never when it applies to curriculum

We tried Apologia science for High School for my first and second son...both hated it. I hated it. I have mentioned on this and other forums how much I hate the Upper Apologia books. I even mentioned I would NEVER use them again. 3rd son is now using the Apologia Physical Science book because the BJU Physical Science was not working. After looking at everything I could think of to use for this course and not finding anything that would make my son perk up I decided to just peek at Apologia to reconfirm my hatred and how it will not work. Son looked too and said, "Why didn't you give me that book, I understand it?" So here we are doing exactly what I said I would never do and son is thriving. He even reads ahead, keeps his notebook neat and complete, and talks about the subject without me getting a pry bar.

Note:BJU was not lacking and is an exceptional science curriculum, just not for my 3rd son.

When one says "never" about curriculum, it can be a bit like saying, "My kid would never do that." It sometimes comes back to bite you.:D

Right now, I could say that I would never use Apologia Physical Science with my youngest son, but with my oldest son, both Apologia General and Physical Sciences were perfect.

I am glad it has all worked out for both of you. Have a great year in science.

It's taken me about 50 years or so to figure out the wisdom of never say never... My son wanted to use Apologia after looking at a friend's physical science text. My original plan was to use traditional textbooks and group labs for high school science. We did neither, but what we did do has (so far) served him well.

My favorite curriculum never say never story...One year I volunteered to check badges at the curriculum hall during a hs convention. One of the exhibitors who sells an everything in a box textbook based curriculum was located next to where I was sitting--I had a full view of everything going on at their tables. One of my dearest hs friends, and fellow Charlotte Mason fan, walked up and started chatting with me, but the conversation seemed a bit odd. She finally asked when I went off duty, and seemed disappointed to find out that I'd just started and would be there for awhile. She hemmed and hawed and finally told me that her dd had asked for textbooks for a couple of subjects because she needed the relief of some basic, no frills, no rabbit trails work. My friend was embarrassed to be seen buying textbooks by a fellow CM'er, but was on a short break and needed to do her shopping quickly. I thought about it for a second or two and pulled out my receipt for the textbooks I'd already ordered for the same reasons. :D [Our dc were just beginning high school at the time and were feeling a bit overwhelmed with the workload.]

Oh, yeah. My signature is full of "never" products this year. After doing BJU DVDs for science last year, DS asked to do all his classes that way this year. So, here we are! After 4 weeks of classes, he loves it. He now tells me that math is his favorite subject!! I'm in shock. Thrilled, but in shock. Part of me is still saying "nooooooo", but if it works for him, it's the right choice.

Edited by Rhonda in TX
typo

My favorite curriculum never say never story...One year I volunteered to check badges at the curriculum hall during a hs convention. One of the exhibitors who sells an everything in a box textbook based curriculum was located next to where I was sitting--I had a full view of everything going on at their tables. One of my dearest hs friends, and fellow Charlotte Mason fan, walked up and started chatting with me, but the conversation seemed a bit odd. She finally asked when I went off duty, and seemed disappointed to find out that I'd just started and would be there for awhile. She hemmed and hawed and finally told me that her dd had asked for textbooks for a couple of subjects because she needed the relief of some basic, no frills, no rabbit trails work. My friend was embarrassed to be seen buying textbooks by a fellow CM'er, but was on a short break and needed to do her shopping quickly. I thought about it for a second or two and pulled out my receipt for the textbooks I'd already ordered for the same reasons. :D [Our dc were just beginning high school at the time and were feeling a bit overwhelmed with the workload.]

:001_smile:

My favorite great aunt told me never to say never because God has a strange sense of humor. She said when you say "I would never do that" God looks down and says "Never?" :tongue_smilie:

This was the same great aunt who once told me "Common sense ain't."

And on that note...:leaving:

Sara

My favorite great aunt told me never to say never because God has a strange sense of humor. She said when you say "I would never do that" God looks down and says "Never?" :tongue_smilie:

This was the same great aunt who once told me "Common sense ain't."

And on that note...:leaving:

Sara

:lol::lol::lol:

I once said that I would NEVER live in the town I am currently living in.

That I would NEVER own a Beagle (love her to pieces)

That, after discovering whole books, I would NEVER use textbooks again.(Ha! Youngest ds loves textbooks)

Oh my, the list goes on and on and on...:D

I even (shudder) ALMOST purchased my ds Saxon Alg 1 this year even though I swore I would NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER again subject another student to that horrid math curriculum. :lol:

(Yeah, I know, the year has just begun....never say never! :lol:)

When I hear someone say that they would never use such and such curriculum I still kind of envy their confidence. After 13 years of homeschooling I have yet to say this, as I've never been 100% sure of our curriculum choices.

Oh, I am always 100% sure of my curriculum choices and begin each school year with the knowledge that this is the year I got it all right only to find out a few weeks later that I have no idea what I am doing and the sad thing is I have been doing this for 18+years.