Menu

Please suggest a science spine that covers earth's biomes/ecosystems.

ereks mom

These look wonderful, but I'm actually looking for a book my student can take home to read. (I'm teaching a friend's child in addition to my own.)

I made lesson plans linked here that included lots of library book, online resources, lesson, and activity options for the various biomes. I made the plans with 2nd grade kids in mind! But some of the the book lists (Nat. Science Teacher Association lists) I used for ideas spanned all ages and I know some of the books I previewed from the library were too old for my boys.

In those plans I am using the Planet Earth DVD's. They are very interesting, well done, and appropriate for that age range as well if you're open to media options. They cover from Pole to Pole, Mountains, Fresh Water, Caves, Deserts, Ice Worlds, Great Plains, Jungles, Shallow Seas, Seasonal Forests, and Oceans. Those DVD's with a great library book for each or a good spine would be really great I think.

One (not spine) idea might be the One Small Square books that go with the various biomes. I thought they were too much for young kids but maybe they'd be just right for that age perhaps. They are very good books imo.

Edited by sbgrace

I made lesson plans linked here that included lots of library book, online resources, lesson, and activity options for the various biomes. I made the plans with 2nd grade kids in mind! But some of the the book lists (Nat. Science Teacher Association lists) I used for ideas spanned all ages and I know some of the books I previewed from the library were too old for my boys.

In those plans I am using the Planet Earth DVD's. They are very interesting, well done, and appropriate for that age range as well if you're open to media options. They cover from Pole to Pole, Mountains, Fresh Water, Caves, Deserts, Ice Worlds, Great Plains, Jungles, Shallow Seas, Seasonal Forests, and Oceans. Those DVD's with a great library book for each or a good spine would be really great I think.

One (not spine) idea might be the One Small Square books that go with the various biomes. I thought they were too much for young kids but maybe they'd be just right for that age perhaps. They are very good books imo.

How about Janice VanCleave's Science Around the World: Activities on Biomes from Pole to Pole?

Yeah! Thanks for posting these! This is helping me plan for next year's science. :party:

OOPS! I READ YOUR GRADE 4/5/6 AS AGE 4/5/6. BUT I'LL KEEP THE POST UP IN CASE SOMEONE ELSE CAN USE IT.

We like the VanCleave book too.

When my kids were younger, I was looking for biome materials -- I did not find a "spine" at that point, but got habitat/biome books in series. A publishing company I really like is Crabtree Publishing. You can download their library catalogue (more books than the classroom one) and then order on Amazon.

http://www.crabtreebooks.com/catalog.php

I also use book suggestions from Core Knowledge, as habitats are done in 1st grade. There are good suggestions in Books to Build On and in the curriculum plan on the CK website -- you probably wouldn't want to use any of the (school-type) plans in their entirety, but the reading lists are excellent. My dc responded best to books that personalized the habitats -- for example, Cactus Hotel, does a great job describing deserts. Salamander Room is a fantastic picture book about how all parts of the habitat work together. The Great Kapok Tree, Welcome to the Green House..... sorry, I don't have a list ready to go. But I found that our best learning came from a few well chosen books in each habitat/biome, rather than a more textbooky approach.

And my kids also like the Safari toobs for different habitats.

ETA anything by Gail Gibbons

Edited by Alessandra

I

In those plans I am using the Planet Earth DVD's. They are very interesting, well done, and appropriate for that age range as well if you're open to media options. They cover from Pole to Pole, Mountains, Fresh Water, Caves, Deserts, Ice Worlds, Great Plains, Jungles, Shallow Seas, Seasonal Forests, and Oceans.

Does anyone know if these are available on Netflix?

I'm using the same program and am following suggestions that I found on the MFW Books Forum for ECC. A lady on there put together a way of summarizing and using the Properties of Ecosystems in a way that will make it more understandable and less boring for younger kids. I'm using it the way she suggests and it's making it much more easy to use and the kids are now enjoying it. I think the key is not to feel like you have to read every word and do every activity. Do what you can and summarize the rest so the kids enjoy it. I tried to upload the file, but it was too big to attach here. If you want it, let me know and I can e-mail it to you or direct you to it online. Just another thought if you aren't able to find something you like to replace it. The Planet DVD's look good too!

I'm using the same program and am following suggestions that I found on the MFW Books Forum for ECC. A lady on there put together a way of summarizing and using the Properties of Ecosystems in a way that will make it more understandable and less boring for younger kids. I'm using it the way she suggests and it's making it much more easy to use and the kids are now enjoying it. I think the key is not to feel like you have to read every word and do every activity. Do what you can and summarize the rest so the kids enjoy it. I tried to upload the file, but it was too big to attach here. If you want it, let me know and I can e-mail it to you or direct you to it online. Just another thought if you aren't able to find something you like to replace it. The Planet DVD's look good too!

:iagree: