Menu

Dishwasher Detergent "Emergency"

We ran out of dishwasher detergent the other day. I went to the store specifically to buy some today, spent $100, and realized when I was almost home that I forgot the detergent. :glare: Do you have a homemade detergent recipe? We have 2 days worth of dishes piled up and I have to work all day tomorrow. :tongue_smilie:

I know this sounds horribly old-fashioned, but could you simply wash dishes in the sink using Palmolive or Dawn? I'm guessing that you have that at home (what are the chances that you are out of both?) Turn on some funky music and scrub away. Have the kids help. Put a clean towel over the kitchen table/counter because you'll need that extra space for drip drying (remember, drip drying is more hygenic than drying with a towel).

Then, until you get the detergent, use paper plates! We always have paper plates on hand for whatever reason.

I'm trying to figure out what the Kool-aid is for. :001_huh: I'm thinking some kind of abrasive? I keep picturing my plastics coming out pink from the cherry kool-aid. :tongue_smilie:

Citric acid to help cut down on residue.

I use a tbsp of Borax, 1 tbsp of washing soda, a tsp of lemonade mix and then vinegar in the rinse dispenser.

I know this sounds horribly old-fashioned, but could you simply wash dishes in the sink using Palmolive or Dawn? I'm guessing that you have that at home (what are the chances that you are out of both?) Turn on some funky music and scrub away. Have the kids help. Put a clean towel over the kitchen table/counter because you'll need that extra space for drip drying (remember, drip drying is more hygenic than drying with a towel).

Then, until you get the detergent, use paper plates! We always have paper plates on hand for whatever reason.

I use the dishwasher as a huge drying rack. Since they don't have to get clean in there (if you washed them already) you can pile them more haphazardly than if you are putting them in there to be cleaned by the dishwasher. :)

:lol: I am not opposed to the old fashioned way! I between home schooling, shampooing the carpets, and working yesterday (got home at nearly 9 pm), there just wasn't a whole lot of time.

Here is what I do all the time:

I use 1 cup of Cascade

3 cups Borax

3 cups washing soda

about 1/4 cup of Dawn

I mix the Borax, Dawn, and Soda together and then mix in the Cascade. It stretches the regular stuff FOREVER. I tried just the homemade for awhile and the dishes needed that little boost from the Cascade to get clean.