Menu

My son got a wood chip in his eye. I was at ER with him last night.

Last night when I took him in the nurse flushed his eye. We had just missed the dr (we live in a very small town). On the telephone advice of the dr. she froze his eye with drops and put in antibiotic drops (which we have to continue every four hours). I'm bringing him in this morning for follow up. They think he scratched his cornea.

And boy is he grumpy. It is painful for sure but honestly I'm not sure I'll make it through his LOUD whining and complaining. Anyone have any experience with a scratched cornea. How long until its healed enough for the pain to subside?

This is going to be a long day . . .(after a short night :)).

Last night when I took him in the nurse flushed his eye. We had just missed the dr (we live in a very small town). On the telephone advice of the dr. she froze his eye with drops and put in antibiotic drops (which we have to continue every four hours). I'm bringing him in this morning for follow up. They think he scratched his cornea.

And boy is he grumpy. It is painful for sure but honestly I'm not sure I'll make it through his LOUD whining and complaining. Anyone have any experience with a scratched cornea. How long until its healed enough for the pain to subside?

This is going to be a long day . . .(after a short night :)).

It is very painful.

I had a severe cornea scratch that could be seen with the naked eye. The eye doc told me that it was rare to be able to see the damage that easily but he could b/c mine was so bad.

My DD had the same thing -- scratch so severe they could see it easily.

It is truly awful.

Give him tylenol and cuddle & comfort. He needs it.

When my eldest was a new 6 he somehow got a super small bit of rust stuck on his eye. I couldn't see it, but could see that his eye was bothering him. We had to take him to the hospital - which then send us somewhere else. They had him sit very very still while they used what looked like a little sander on his eyeball.

No freezing, nothing.

He handled it all fine. I was the one who would have been freaking out.

It is very painful.

I had a severe cornea scratch that could be seen with the naked eye. The eye doc told me that it was rare to be able to see the damage that easily but he could b/c mine was so bad.

My DD had the same thing -- scratch so severe they could see it easily.

It is truly awful.

Give him tylenol and cuddle & comfort. He needs it.

Thank you for this insight. I tend to be on the "suck it up" side . . . I'll try and be softer with him. (Actually I do feel bad but its frustrating because there is nothing I can do to help.) And on top of that, both of us are extremely tired. Not a good combo.

How long until the pain subsides?

When my eldest was a new 6 he somehow got a super small bit of rust stuck on his eye. I couldn't see it, but could see that his eye was bothering him. We had to take him to the hospital - which then send us somewhere else. They had him sit very very still while they used what looked like a little sander on his eyeball.

No freezing, nothing.

He handled it all fine. I was the one who would have been freaking out.

Yikes, I definitely would have been the one fainting in the ER if we had encountered that :).

Thank you for this insight. I tend to be on the "suck it up" side . . . I'll try and be softer with him. (Actually I do feel bad but its frustrating because there is nothing I can do to help.) And on top of that, both of us are extremely tired. Not a good combo.

How long until the pain subsides?

It was several days for me b/c mine was really deep.

ANother thing that helps is to patch the hurt eye and have him rest. No TV, no reading, etc.

When the eyelid brushes over the cornea, it is exacerbates the pain. So that is why he should rest. Even if his hurt eye is covered, the eyeball will move if he is trying to use his other eye.

Good luck! :grouphug:

PS: I understand the suck it up thing. I didn't go to the doctor after I injured mine for a day and a half. I hate going to doctors.

They didn't patch it last night but I'm heading back to the hospital in about an hour for follow up and for the dr to actually look at it.

They hurt like the devil. Luckily, they usually heal quickly, within a day or two.

In the past corneal abrasions were always patched, but studies didn't show any benefit and some studies showed it actually slowed healing. I don't think patching is routine anymore.

Wild can't believe they didn't patch.

I have scratched my eye twice, it was one of the most painful things i have ever done.

and it is so freaking irritated.

He should be laying still. and not using his eyes at all either one. They work in tandem so the hurt one will also move.

Not sure the differences in the scratches. I had mine patched both times.

I also had a dr say that the scratch does heal qucik but it is easy to disturb the healing. So he said like every time I blinked it was like opening it back up like windsheild wipers taking off the new cells.

OUCH

They hurt like the devil. Luckily, they usually heal quickly, within a day or two.

In the past corneal abrasions were always patched, but studies didn't show any benefit and some studies showed it actually slowed healing. I don't think patching is routine anymore.

Cochrane review (Evidence Based Medicine source)

This is a Cochrane review abstract and plain language summary, prepared and maintained by The Cochrane Collaboration, currently published in The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2011 Issue 8, Copyright © 2011 The Cochrane Collaboration. Published by John Wiley and Sons, Ltd.. The full text of the review is available in The Cochrane Library (ISSN 1464-780X).

This record should be cited as: Turner A, Rabiu M. Patching for corneal abrasion. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2006, Issue 2. Art. No.: CD004764. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD004764.pub2

Editorial Group: Eyes and Vision Group

This version first published online: April 19. 2006

Last assessed as up-to-date: December 3. 2007

Abstract

Background

Recent audits show that corneal abrasion is a common presenting eye complaint. Eye patches are often recommended for treating corneal abrasions despite the lack of evidence for their use. This systematic review was conducted to determine the effects of the eye patch when used to treat corneal abrasions.

Objectives

The objective of this review was to test the hypothesis that patching an eye following a corneal abrasion improves healing or provides pain relief.

Search strategy

We searched the Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL) (which contains the Cochrane Eyes and Vision Group Trials Register) in The Cochrane Library (2007, Issue 4), MEDLINE (1966 to December 2007), EMBASE (1980 to December 2007), LILACS (3 December 2007), NRR (2007, Issue 4) and SIGLE (December 2004). There were no language or date restrictions in the searches. We also searched the reference lists of included studies, unpublished 'grey' literature and conference proceedings and contacted pharmaceutical companies for details of unpublished trials.

Selection criteria

We included randomised and quasi-randomised controlled trials that compared patching the eye with no patching to treat simple corneal abrasions.

Data collection and analysis

Two authors independently assessed trial quality and extracted data. We contacted investigators for further information regarding quality of trials. The primary outcome was healing of the corneal epithelium and secondary outcomes were related to pain.

Main results

Eleven trials, which randomised a total of 1014 participants, were included in the review. Meta-analysis of seven studies with dichotomous healing outcomes favoured no patching on the first day of healing (risk ratio (RR) 0.89, 95% Confidence Interval (CI) 0.79 to 0.99). For days two and three there was no significant difference between the two groups. Of the nine trials that measured pain scores two favoured no patching and none favoured patching. Complication rates were low and no differences were noted in these between the two groups. No-patch groups generally received more adjuvant treatment with antibiotics and/or cycloplegics than the patch group which is an important confounding factor.

Authors' conclusions

Treating simple corneal abrasions with a patch does not improve healing rates on the first day post-injury and does not reduce pain. In addition, use of patches results in a loss of binocular vision. Therefore it is recommended that patches should not be used for simple corneal abrasions. Further research should focus on large (greater than 10 mm2) abrasions.

Well the dr pulled out two splinters this morning. The dr thinks the cornea is okay but because of the festering overnight his eye is very inflamed so steroid drops/antibiotic drops and they did patch for today and maybe tomorrow.

The boy is obviously feeling better . . he's bugging his brother right now :).

Well the dr pulled out two splinters this morning. The dr thinks the cornea is okay but because of the festering overnight his eye is very inflamed so steroid drops/antibiotic drops and they did patch for today and maybe tomorrow.

The boy is obviously feeling better . . he's bugging his brother right now :).

:eek:

Thank goodness you went back!

I am so glad he is feeling better. Here's to a speedy recovery. :cheers2: