Menu

kindergarten social studies

momma2three

I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a decent spine for a kindergarten social studies. By social studies I mean geography, world cultures/religions (we are secular personally), and a little bit of history.

I've been finding lots of age appropriate books about teaching science to 4-5 year olds, but very little about these subjects. The main spine I'm using is Science is Simple, and I'm supplementing that with a few other experiment books (such as Mudpies to Magnets).

I can find nice picture books about historical figures and different cultures and holidays, but I would like something that provides a bit more structure, and offers ideas for activities.

http://www.worldbook.com/typical-course-of-study-kindergarten-curriculum-guide.html

* Meanings of holidays, traditions, and customs

* Understanding and appreciating other cultures

* Individual's role in family, home, school, and community

* Relationship of the individual to the group

* Work and jobs

* Safety rules and symbols

* Basic human needs

* Self-respect and self-awareness

* Awareness of others

* Location of home and school

* Diagram of home and school

I am using this as a guide with no actual curriculum, so far.

I have the Usborne Peoples of the World. I was just looking at it again tonight, actually, and trying to decide if we'll use it right away or hold off a bit. There is also a DK book, Children Just Like Me. I don't own it, but have looked through it, and it might be a nice way to introduce the subject. I also have a book of holidays celebrated around the world. It has the story of each holiday and an accompanying activity. We will add read alouds as we touch on the different cultures.

Thanks everyone! These look like great ideas.

I did find one older book called "Kids Around the World" that has an activity every day about a different culture or place. Starting now, though, it's all about going to school and asking questions comparing your classroom to other classrooms around the world, so I don't know how much that's going to resonate with her.

These ideas all seem like a great place to start.

What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know is a good source. They don't have a lot of activities, but it might make a good spine and I think there are a few threads that list the Core Knowledge sequence with a schedule.

We did this, I went to the library and pulled books from the beginning reader section for him to read to me. We managed to fill nearly 3 months with the geography. We did an introduction to maps and globes over a couple of weeks, a week on each continent, and a week on the oceans, and then a week of review and a mini-quiz. I was able to find two or three books to go with each section of the book.

• 4 months later...

I just discovered this book that I'm really excited about. (I've been searching for something decent and age-appropriate for awhile.) I'm not really into the first half of it, but I think the second half will be perfect for my DD. We're going to start as soon as I can get some of the recommended books rounded up.

0439567211.jpg Nonfiction Literacy-Building Booklets & Activities

Grades K–1 $21.99

You can view the entire contents at the link above. The TOC is descriptive enough that you don't have to scroll through the entire book to get a good idea of what's included.

A "human geography" approach could include Peter Spier's People (so lovely!), DK-Unicef's Children Just Like Me, Peter Menzel's Material World: A Global Family Portrait and Hungry Planet: What the World Eats, and James Mollison's Where Children Sleep.

There's an out-of-print (but inexpensive!) Little Golden Book called First Golden Geography by Jane Werner Watson that I quite like.

What about Audio Memory's Geography Songs?

And for the low, low price of at least $140, you can order Tim Seldin's out-of-print Geography and History for the Young Child for further guidance. :lol:

And I'll bet that National Geographic has some ideas somewhere? Maybe browse their site and/or online store?

Oooh, and check out Koa Koala Goes Around the World, which I think is just delightful.

Edited by kubiac