Menu

Progressive auto insurance: Yea or Nay?

We just moved to a new state and have to get new auto insurance. We've always used State Farm, but the Progressive online quote is significantly cheaper for what appears to be comparable coverage. Would anyone like to contribute their positive or negative experiences with Progressive?

Thanks in advance!

We've been with Progressive for 10+ years. We've had 3 accidents - one my fault, one where the other driver was at fault (just 6 weeks after the first), and one hit-and-run that was not my fault (but we had to file on ours since the other driver ran). They were absolutely superb in all 3 accidents. They didn't hesitate to replace our Britax car seats for any of the accidents. The work was done quickly and as painlessly as such things can be. We have rental coverage with them too and they coordinated the whole rental issue for us too, calling the rental agency to meet us where and when we wanted to get our rental and then drop it back off. And, they didn't raise our rates after the accident that was my fault, which really surprised me since my old insurance company would raise rates if there was a cloud in the sky. LOL!

Anyway, all that to say I'd recommend them. :)

I would recommend them as well. We have been with them for 7 years. Our rates have always been the best with them and this is with shopping around each year. We had one accident not our fault and I was impressed with how they handled the medical for us.

We have had them for awhile. We've had some minor claims and they have been fine. We do have home and auto insurance with them and they were cheaper than other options we looked at. They also have a low mileage program which works for us. You report your mileage twice a year and if it's lower than average you get a discount.

We have homeowner's in our previous state because we still own our home there and are comparing renter's insurance rates in our new state as well as auto. With State Farm the renter's insurance was fairly cheap, but Progressive's renter's insurance (same coverage limits) was 4 times as much! SF's auto is 50% more expensive than Progressive for us. So, I'm going to call SF back tomorrow and get a renter's only quote. It's definitely an odd thing, but maybe having the policies from two different companies is the way for us to go.

Thanks for contributing your positive experiences so far. That gives me much greater confidence in this possibility. All I've ever known about Progressive is from their commercials!

We've had Progressive for 7 years, and I really want to switch, but don't want to go through the hassle of finding the "right" company.

Our experience was very good until the night we hit a deer. They refused to cover anything, and we had max coverage because of a lien on another vehicle. I don't remember what the loophole was that got them out of having to pay anything for deer damage, but it was there all right.

That was two years ago, and I keep meaning to search out different insurance, but I have to admit that staying with the same company is just so easy! They automatically renew every six months, our payments are automatic, and we truly don't have to do a thing. Our premium has gone up just a touch over the years, when I've heard other insurance has gone up quite a bit in this economy.

But I'm still bitter about the deer damage that we're not fixing on my van because it is quite costly.

We just moved to a new state and have to get new auto insurance. We've always used State Farm, but the Progressive online quote is significantly cheaper for what appears to be comparable coverage.
Please be careful with Progressive's online quotes! They show you a dollar amount in large letters that represents your first six-month payment. BUT THIS AMOUNT HAS BEEN DISCOUNTED BY $50.00 FOR THE FIRST SIX MONTHS ONLY. In other words, if you double this number and compare it to other annual rates, you will be using an annual rate that is $100.00 too low for Progressive.

In any case this is what my son saw when he took a look at their website when he was comparing insurance. He ended up sticking with the same company we have: Erie. They were cheaper than Progressive and we have had great service over the years with them.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Our experience was very good until the night we hit a deer. They refused to cover anything, and we had max coverage because of a lien on another vehicle. I don't remember what the loophole was that got them out of having to pay anything for deer damage, but it was there all right.
Did you have comprehensive insurance, or just collision? We hit a deer and I found it weird that this was not covered under collision, but requires comprehensive (which we had). I told the insurance adjuster that "it sure FELT like a collision" but that didn't seem to be the criteria.

In any case, if the lack of comprehensive insurance was the loophole involved, I'm afraid to say you will run into that anywhere.

We've had Progressive for about 8 years and we're very happy. The second year my dh hit a big part of a tire on the highway and Progressive was awesome. Tow truck and rental were taken care of and our rates at the next cycle actually went down instead of up. In 8 years our rates have only went up a minimal amount.

We had Allstate prior for about 8 years and switched because they had raised our rates significantly. Our Progressive rates 8 years later are still nowhere near what Allstate tried to get.

We did not experience the $50 hike a previous poster mentioned either.

We did not experience the $50 hike a previous poster mentioned either.
Did you get your quote from Progressive online eight years ago? In any case, this was last year. Very likely they have changed some things in eight years.

Anyway, I guess you could call it a "hike", but it IS spelled out on the quote page you get on the web. It's just that you need to be very careful to read what is there because the quote given in BIG numbers is $50 lower than every other six-month premium that you will later pay.

Did you get your quote from Progressive online eight years ago? In any case, this was last year. Very likely they have changed some things in eight years.

Anyway, I guess you could call it a "hike", but it IS spelled out on the quote page you get on the web. It's just that you need to be very careful to read what is there because the quote given in BIG numbers is $50 lower than every other six-month premium that you will later pay.

Yes, it was 8 years ago so maybe there have been some changes. In 8 years our rates have only gone up $30/month so we're pretty happy. I wouldn't be happy if there was a $50 hike after six months.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I did notice the first night that there was a $50 discount for signing up that day. The next day the discount had gone down and I'm sure by the time we actually DO sign up it will be gone. :001_smile: C'est la vie.

Has anyone ever used their Snapshot discount? It seems like a good thing, if you're not an aggressive driver. Has anyone actually every gotten the discount from using it?

Guest rustyemerson

I can’t tell you anything about them; I’ve been insured with The Hartford for over a decade now. I compare quotes every now and then just to make sure I’m not getting ripped off and so far the best car insurance rates I’ve found are the ones I’m currently getting. You should probably check them out too while you’re looking.

In the previous state where I lived, I used Progressive for about seven years, and I never had any problems (and the rates stayed very reasonable)--although I never had any accidents or tickets, either. Now DH and I get better rates combining home and auto insurance, so I no longer have Progressive.