Menu

Getting ready to shred my B&N Educator's Card ~ this makes no sense!!

Amazon didn't do any damage to B&N that they didn't do to themselves :) B&N is terrible.

Same with our local indpendent store. Whenever I went in there, you couldn't find any help, the books were a mess, and when you rang out they acted like they were doing you a favor. I wasn't suprised when they went out of business, but everyone locally blamed it on Amazon. :001_huh: I think they depended on people wanting a physical store, and so they didn't try hard enough.

Edited by angela in ohio

TBH, part of the reason I chose a Kindle over a Nook is because of my frustration with B&N customer service in other areas. I was afraid it would transfer to the Nook, if I ever needed CS.

The TSA broke my out of warranty Nook by smashing it up and down on the rollers several times for no reason.

B&N shipped me a new unit overnight at no charge, and I had 2 weeks to send back my damaged unit at their expense with their packing materials, no questions asked, even though we were on sabbatical and at a temporary address that I could not verify, as we had just arrived.

They redefined above and beyond customer service for the Nook. Nobody should have any fear of buying that device.

I stopped going to B&N years ago, after receiving hassles 100% of the time when attempting purchases. Once they *required* me to present my curriculum, as well as a letter stating that I was legally educating in the state! Being the rebel that I am, once a year I go in, fill out another updated educator's card application, and try to use it for purchasing literature...just to annoy them. :D The last time I went, I had 2 hb classic books that were on the Well Educated Mind list, and was told that they were not traditional educational materials that were used in a classroom, so they didn't qualify for a discount. I left the books on the counter and I'll never go back. The company is incredibly stupid to annoy homeschoolers...if they only knew the $$$ we would spend there if they were supportive!

The last time I went, I had 2 hb classic books that were on the Well Educated Mind list, and was told that they were not traditional educational materials that were used in a classroom, so they didn't qualify for a discount. I left the books on the counter and I'll never go back. The company is incredibly stupid to annoy homeschoolers...if they only knew the $$$ we would spend there if they were supportive!

Well that's just terrible. I'm wondering if they give the PS school teachers the same hassle or how they would even know the difference between us? It doesn't say anywhere on my card that I'm a homeschooler so I don't see how they would know. And I don't understand how a clerk behind the counter could determine what is appropriate for any classroom use. Public and Private schools do read classics and my DD's classroom always had some on the shelf. I never encountered these problems with my card usage at any BN.

It's also terrible that you had to apply yearly. My card is good for 2 years.

I would be having a discussion with a store manager!

The last time I went, I had 2 hb classic books that were on the Well Educated Mind list, and was told that they were not traditional educational materials that were used in a classroom, so they didn't qualify for a discount. I left the books on the counter and I'll never go back. The company is incredibly stupid to annoy homeschoolers...if they only knew the $$$ we would spend there if they were supportive!

I promise I don't work for B&N or anything. But I just can't believe these stories! I've literally never had this kind of problem at ANY of the B&N stores I've frequented. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Not sure exactly where you are, but when doing field trips to the Seattle area, you might be interested in Homeschool Potpourri Bookshop in Totem Lake in Kirkland. You can even drop off curriculum for consignment. they are also online.

ABSOLUTELY THE BEST HS STORE EVER! I moved away from WA but still buy via phone from them. HUGE selection of hs books and materials at great prices.

I could spend hours in there browsing-oh how I miss thee ;)

We're fortunate to have Powell's. I use their Internet store when I need a number of specific items from various locations and have them sent to the downtown store for pickup. [ETA: And of course we go there to browse. :001_smile:]

I am a fan of Powell's. I, unfortunately, have not been there many times in person but I do order from them. I like the ability to mix new and old items, which I can occasionally do on amazon but not to the degree I can at Powells. I like the idea of ordering from them more than amazon, although I admit to liking the convenience of shopping from a wide selection from home a lot.

(I have no educator's card from any store, although I used to when I worked in that capacity. My mom has one and I 've seen her argue with them over what constitutes educational use.)