Menu

Jane Austen's "Emma" and "Sense and Sensibililty"...watched for 1st time!

My dh and dd took a church camping trip this past weekend. My friend "C" was born and raised in England. She moved to the States about 30 years ago.

She spent Friday night with me....yes, a friends/moms sleep over! Two friends 50+ having a sleep over...it was a blast.

We watched "P/P" again. We drew it out this time playing some scenes multiple times. I have the BBC version which is the.best.

Well then C asked if I've ever watched Emma and S/S? I said no. I have a copy of S/S, but have never watched it. She brought over Emma for me to watch on my own during the weekend. And I did. She left Saturday morning.

Among my household duties, homeschool planning, errands, exercising, etc..I continued the movie marathon and watched Emma and then S/S.

All I can say is WOW! I love these movies. It has had an effect on me...now I want to curtsey! :lol:

My dh loves them just as much as I do :001_smile: and he's a Mister Manly Man (athletic, blue-collar, sheet metal worker, iron-pumping MAN).

We (me & dh & 3 kids) quote the movies all the time - British accent and all!

btw, do you mean tea as in tea or tea as in teA?? ;)

My dh loves them just as much as I do :001_smile: and he's a Mister Manly Man (athletic, blue-collar, sheet metal worker, iron-pumping MAN).

We (me & dh & 3 kids) quote the movies all the time - British accent and all!

btw, do you mean tea as in tea or tea as in teA?? ;)

Definitly tea (the kind in a cup). No, no teA. I edited to say tea and cake. Maybe that won't sound so um intimate.

Actually, I think watching those movies makes me less likely to want teA because my life doesn't match up. I should probably stop watching them for that reason.

I just rewatched S&S again, the BBC version. I cried and cried when Elinor's heart was breaking. I LOVE that movie.

And the disc comes with Miss Austen Regrets which is another great one. I felt like I really got to know her personality. I don't know how true it all is, but it's also a very charming movie.

Have you seen Persuasion? Another must see.

Did not know about that one, thanks.....will check it out!

I love them all too! Which versions did you watch?

Mary

My British-born friend loaned me the BBC version to P/P a few years ago. She hooked me on it and I bought my own P/P - BBC version! All BBC versions....I did watch part of the American version of P/P and found out I much prefer BBC versions!

I just rewatched S&S again, the BBC version. I cried and cried when Elinor's heart was breaking. I LOVE that movie.

And the disc comes with Miss Austen Regrets which is another great one. I felt like I really got to know her personality. I don't know how true it all is, but it's also a very charming movie.

Did not know about this one either, but will look into Miss Austen Regrets...thanks.

We watched "P/P" again. We drew it out this time playing some scenes multiple times. I have the BBC version which is the.best.

I know of at least five (or is it six?) filmed versions.

is that the 1982 David Rintoul version? It's my favorite. I ask because BBC is also part of the lavish A&E with Colin Firth that was done a few years later.

Did you know there is one with Laurence Olivier? he was certainly drool worthy - and probably the best actor to ever play Darcy. (though the script and direction left much to be desired. a reflection on the time.) though the best line ever added "you have to be a mummy to be really dignified" was in that one.

I love them all too. I always end up speaking with a very poor British accent for at least a week after I watch one. Makes my kids crazy. We all quote a hundred lines from them as we go about our days - little lines like "to be sure," "perfect in every particular," "that should secure your compassion," "Help them! What do mean help them?" "that is no excuse," and "no, it is the dust perhaps." It's amazing how often these snippets come in handy.