Menu

Anyone ever heard of homeopathic turpentine?

Just throwing this out there...it seems like such a strange question.

I see a naturopathic doctor that I generally trust. She's treating me for several things - one is a high eosinophil count that just won't go down. She suspects parasites, so she gave me a little bottle of something homeopathic and said it was turpentine and to take 15 drops now and 15 drops in 10 days.

I can't find much online about turpentine as medicine, except that it was used in the "old days" as a cure-all. I'm very sensitive to any medicine or supplement so I'm a little scared of it. I emailed her to talk about it but I wanted to see what others thought, as well.

Has anyone heard of this or had any success with it?

I think that is it! Thanks!

She did email me back and said that she took a 90 day treatment of it (every 10 days) after a mission trip to Haiti and has seen no side effects. She said the recommendation came from an MD friend of hers and it was the gentlest and most effective treatment she's found.

Almost everything else she's ever given me has been no problem (I reacted to one probiotic a few years ago), and she seems quite good at what she does (chiropractic, acupuncture, etc.)

I think I'm going to try it. :ohmy: It's a very small amount.

It's a very small amount.

So small an amount that it is "nothing." That is the way homeopathy "works." A substance is diluted until there is effectively "nothing" left (except the "vibrations" of the original [often toxic] substance. This is supposed to cure you.

It is all a huge fraud. It won't harm you (other than wasting your time, money, and keeping you from seeking proper medical treatment) but....

Bill

Boy I don't know that I would. I usually have a pretty open mind on alternative methods but that one I would worry about both the side effects and the efficacy.

I know many people that treat themselves with ivermectin and it is commonly prescribed for people, notably children in poverty stricken countries. It's available OTC and quite safe unless you're a border collie. ;) I believe it's somewhat naturally derived too though I'd have to look that one up.

I'd do more research if I were you. I know from treating dogs, horses, chickens, sheep, goats, and cows as well as reading online on human treatment that ivermectin works and has a high safety rating.

Turpentine not so much...

From this page: http://www.henriettesherbal.com/eclectic/ellingwood/pinus_tere.html

Physiological Action—The oil of turpentine is an irritant when applied to the skin or mucous membranes in any considerable quantity. It causes burning, a vesicular eruption, and deep, stubborn ulcerations. In the stomach it produces warmth, increased from an overdose to a burning pain, nausea, vomiting, purging, eructations of the oil, great gastro-intestinal irritation, amounting to gastro-enteritis. In toxic doses it causes renal hyperemia, great irritation of the urinary tract, violent hematuria and strangury, with suppression of urine and albuminuria.

It stimulates the heart, increases the arterial tension for a time, increases the temperature and exalts the mental faculties. Ultimately there is a reduction of physical strength, muscular insecurity, tremblings, incoordination, great nervous irritation, wandering of the mind, incoherence, insensibility and coma, breathing stertorous and labored, from paralysis of respiration; face cyanosed or flushed, pupils dilated. All exudations contain its odor.

While violent symptoms have often been produced by full medicinal doses of turpentine, fatal results have seldom. occurred. Five ounces have been taken by adults with recovery. Children have died from overdoses in a few instances. The agent is eliminated through the kidneys and mucous membrane, and this fact explains its immediate influence upon these organs and structures.

Edited by livingnlearning

Well, my dh's grandmother used turpentine to 'cure' a severe hangnail. I didn't work. She eventually lost the toe. I've also read that during the dust bowl days a little turpentine was added to the damp cloths that were used to cover the nose and mouth during a duster. It was supposed to help prevent dust pneumonia. Didn't work there either.

I suspect this is like a lot of other quack remedies that at best did no harm but many times created more problems. I would be very very skeptical.

But the OP doesn't know for sure what is being suggested for her exactly. But you're correct to point out there are different preparations.

That website uses the terminology loosely, just saying "turpentine" throughout when at the top it states:

PREPARATIONS—

The oil distilled with six volumes of lime water, produces the Rectified oil of Turpentine (Oleum Terebinthinae Rectificatum). This is the form which should always be used in medicine. Dose, from one to ten minims. It should be given in an emulsion for gastric and intestinal disorders. For respiratory disorders, drop from two to five drops on a square of loaf sugar to be dissolved slowly on the tongue, and swallowed with the saliva.

Thanks for your replies, everyone!

I chickened out and haven't taken it - I think I eventually will, but I'm very careful about listening to my own instincts and "gut feelings" and I'm just not comfortable yet. I've done a lot of alternative kind of things, but haven't ventured into homeopathy yet. I guess that's why I'm hesitant.

I appreciate your input!

Total quackery. Find a new doctor.

Bill

So small an amount that it is "nothing." That is the way homeopathy "works." A substance is diluted until there is effectively "nothing" left (except the "vibrations" of the original [often toxic] substance. This is supposed to cure you.

It is all a huge fraud. It won't harm you (other than wasting your time, money, and keeping you from seeking proper medical treatment) but....

Bill

Absolutely. Homeopathy is fraud, quackery, snake oil. A way to separate people from their money and give nothing in return.

Absolutely. Homeopathy is fraud, quackery, snake oil. A way to separate people from their money and give nothing in return.

I know nothing of turpentine use, but there's a lot of homeopathic medicines out there that do work. People have used them for centuries with great success. I have for over a decade. Not everything works for every person every time, but neither does modern medicine.

It may not be for you, and that's fine, but to call it a fraud and quackery is a bit much.

To the OP, if you're feeling unsure I'd look at something else to get the same results. I don't think you should ever take anything (natural or synthetic) that you're not comfortable with.

Boy I don't know that I would. I usually have a pretty open mind on alternative methods but that one I would worry about both the side effects and the efficacy.

I know many people that treat themselves with ivermectin and it is commonly prescribed for people, notably children in poverty stricken countries. It's available OTC and quite safe unless you're a border collie. ;) I believe it's somewhat naturally derived too though I'd have to look that one up.

Ivermectin is far from harmless. My sister and her family were prescribed this by a dermatologist when my nephew had scabies, and my brother-in-law had serious problems with it and is still having complications.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/ivermectin-side-effects.html

I know nothing of turpentine use, but there's a lot of homeopathic medicines out there that do work. People have used them for centuries with great success. I have for over a decade. Not everything works for every person every time, but neither does modern medicine.

It may not be for you, and that's fine, but to call it a fraud and quackery is a bit much.

To the OP, if you're feeling unsure I'd look at something else to get the same results. I don't think you should ever take anything (natural or synthetic) that you're not comfortable with.

Homeopathy works - to the degree that any placebo treatment works.

I actually thinks there's merit in placebo treatments but homeopathy's claims and pseudo-scientific explanations leave a bad taste in my mouth. It's also not something that's been used for centuries as the hypothesis (it hasn't even close close to being an actual working theory) of miasms that homeopathy is based on was only proposed in about 1830. It's newer then a lot of more conventional medicine and unlike that conventional medicine, has little to no research to back up it's claims.

Again, I DO think it works to some degree. But placebos do generally work to some degree. The deception in homeopathy lies in claiming it's more effective then any other placebo without any evidence that's so and in charging people for something a sugar pill could achieve.

Edited by WishboneDawn