Menu

The End of Something Magical

I loved to bake when I was growing up (still do.) One of my favorite things were the small bottles of vanilla with the teeny twist off caps. I thought those little bottles were so darling. They reminded me of magical potion bottles.

Fast forward to today...

The little bottles are now plastic. Ugh. And now, the latest bottle I purchased has a flip-top lid. Double ugh.

Remember the teeny tiny bottles of Tabasco that you could get for camping? I LOVED those!

I have been buying vanilla from Costco for several years now... bit honking ugly plastic bottles with a flip top lid. :( But the vanilla is really good... I suppose that's some consolation, but you are right... the little brown glass bottles were special.

The brown glass bottles were the best because you could use the lid as a 1/2 tsp. measuring spoon. The flip-top lids drive me crazy.

I'd forgotten about that. I do remember measuring from the cap.

My husband recently got a bottle of vinegar from the store and it was back in the glass bottle. That surprised me.

The one thing I think works much better in plastic is ketchup. Definitely nicer to squeeze the bottle rather than whapping on the back.

American Science Surplus has bottles in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

I love this store. We can browse there for hours. I just wish the the aisles were big enough to pass 2 carts.

The real vanilla is still in the lab-looking bottles here. Its only the fake stuff that's in plastic flip-tops.