Menu

Fine Motor-Scissor Skills?

fruitofthewomb

So we are only 3 days into k year but I see a bit of a hole-fine motor. She has great pencil grasp but strength and scissor skills are just ok. Not behind or anything but I don't have any thing formal to work with her on it. Is there a good workbook or should I just make up my own? Or just not worry about it yet?

You could make up your own if you want. When my oldest went for his K assessment prior to starting, she gave him this furry face picture to cut out. He cut straight across the face. She handed me the picture and said we needed to work on cutting skills over the summer. :lol:

So I drew some squares, circles, and triangles on a piece of printer paper and told him to cut along the line. With practice, he learned well enough to get through K at least. His scissor skills still aren't great, but he can cut things out.

My second child learned earlier, now that I knew that really I should be letting them use scissors despite my urge to keep all sharp objects like that FAR away. :D I got the R&S preschool ABC series, and the books include cutting/pasting pages. So my 4 year old now cuts at least as well as my 7 year old. :tongue_smilie:

Kumon has a really nice little workbook. It makes some fun cutting and glueing crafts. I think its a bit expensive though (least for me) . We just use lots of construction paper scissors and glue . Draw picture have the kids cut it out and glue. You can always tie it into whatever your studying or reading too. Read 3 little pigs then draw a simple picture of it and cut and paste.

Kumon Play and Grow, Jigsaw Puzzles, and Easy Crafts are all great. So it I Can Cut! (my Sam's Club had this one last week).

Easy Crafts is the most difficult--my ds7 did it last year in 1st grade, and I don't think my ds5 would've been able to do it. He did the other Kumon books instead. He also did Mead Snip It, which was gerat, too. I bought the Mead one at Walmart for a reasonable price.

Edited by JudoMom

Is it that she can grip the scissors but isn't cutting accurately, or is she having problems with actually opening and closing the scissors? If it is the latter, there are scissors you can get that have a spring that opens automatically. It can be disabled once the child has increased strength. Otherwise, you don't need any fancy books unless you want them (Klutz make a lovely one :D). You can just draw lines and shapes with a marker.

I bought some Scholastic workbooks during dollar days that included cutting pages. The nice thing about them is being able to print as many as we want, but otherwise they aren't too fancy. They do have a nice progression, I think. Lately DS4.5 has been enjoying cutting coupons from the Sunday paper.

She can cut, just not very accurate. Sharp cut in lines give her trouble (like zig zags). She does ok with circles, triangles, squares and straight lines but like a simple doll outline (all I can think of right now) or something like that makes her frustrated and she ends up cutting it into little pieces :tongue_smilie: She had OT eval a few months ago (she has brain tumor but is doing great, good prognosis, no side efffects so far but we have to have lots of evals, blood work, MRIs, etc) and they had no concerns. Its just that I don't want to ignore the scissor skills and other fine motor tasks just because she is on par now. I looked at HOD LHFHG and they had a workbook (Rod & Staff I think) that was for fine motor skills. I thought I might buy that but wanted to see what others thought or recommended first. Sorry for the ramble...

I like to print my own from this website....

www.worksheetworks.com

If you go into English Language, then Writing, one of the options available is to make a scissors skills worksheet. You can make the shapes big, small, many, few, etc. I am still working with my 7 year old and that's what I print off for him. I will start working with my soon-to-be-5 year old with this sheet next month.

I like to print my own from this website....

www.worksheetworks.com

If you go into English Language, then Writing, one of the options available is to make a scissors skills worksheet. You can make the shapes big, small, many, few, etc. I am still working with my 7 year old and that's what I print off for him. I will start working with my soon-to-be-5 year old with this sheet next month.

This is a great site - thank you for sharing!

My DD was like that last year (her K year). Held the scissors awkwardly, didn't cut smoothly, etc . I bought her the Kumon cutting workbook and forgot about it. We never really worked on her scissors skills (I know, bad mom). Fast forward to today. . . she discovered the workbook and wanted to do it. I've been pulling out pages for the last hour for her to cut and she suddenly is cutting correctly and smoothly.

She can cut, just not very accurate. Sharp cut in lines give her trouble (like zig zags). She does ok with circles, triangles, squares and straight lines but like a simple doll outline (all I can think of right now) or something like that makes her frustrated and she ends up cutting it into little pieces :tongue_smilie: She had OT eval a few months ago (she has brain tumor but is doing great, good prognosis, no side efffects so far but we have to have lots of evals, blood work, MRIs, etc) and they had no concerns. Its just that I don't want to ignore the scissor skills and other fine motor tasks just because she is on par now. I looked at HOD LHFHG and they had a workbook (Rod & Staff I think) that was for fine motor skills. I thought I might buy that but wanted to see what others thought or recommended first. Sorry for the ramble...

We are using the Rod and Staff books and definitely seeing progress with Do It Carefully and Finding the Answers. Almost all of Finding the Answers is cutting, matching, gluing. My son really likes that book, although he enjoys all cutting. :D He is still a work in progress as far as proficiency is concerned, but we've made strides using those books!

I also give him popsicle sticks and a glue stick and let him make puppets out of stuff in his regular coloring books (usually race cars.)

Edited by Hwin
overuse of "really like"

My girls adore the Kumon workbooks. I thought it was silly to spend $6 on something for them to cut up, but then they arrived and I saw how much they loved working on them. There are approximately 40 projects in each book and the projects are very fun. The paper is heavy too which makes it easier for them to hold the page and cut at the same time.

I give my kids (and my babysitting kids) scrap paper and scissors and just let them have at it until they master the actual grasp and and can do more than single snips (as in opena nd close repeatly in a row). At that point I just draw lines on the page with marker and carry on. By 3.5-4 they usually want to draw their own lines and circles and cut on the line. We do have the kumon cutting book but have not used it yet, since they have always done so well with the above.

I like Kumon Let's Cut Paper (haven't used the others recommended here).

Also, I let my kids chop up paper regularly. The biggest difference is holding the scissors correctly. Definitely emphasize that! My DS loved cutting pictures out of his coloring books. Construction paper is fun to cut. Ads might be fun for a little girl to cut out her own "paper dolls" and accessories.