Menu

I'm looking for a book about the Gold Rush

Nakia

By the Great Horn Spoon is actually the SL book I'm trying to replace for my 3rd grader. It's a bit too hard for her to read on her own. I was just thinking maybe I could read a chapter and then she could read one. We did that with a few books last year.

I will look into the others too. Thanks!

My library doesn't have this one, so I was going to order it from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Rush-Fever-Story-Klondike/dp/1550748505/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313360484&sr=1-9

I haven't read this one yet, but do really enjoy her other books.

Wrong gold rush. :) At least, I'm assuming the OP is looking for the 1849 California Gold Rush, not the 1897 Klondike Gold Rush. Ironically, I found lots more interesting books to study the Klondike than California.

By the Great Horn Spoon is actually the SL book I'm trying to replace for my 3rd grader. It's a bit too hard for her to read on her own. I was just thinking maybe I could read a chapter and then she could read one.

We read By The Great Horn Spoon "popcorn style" ("you read a page, I read a page") in 4th grade -- it is definitely of that reading level. If it doesn't work as a reader, do it as a read-aloud at least -- WAY fun! :)

If you want a book as for the student to solo read, try The Secret Valley by Clyde Bulla, at a 3rd grade reading level; a pioneer family ends up moving to California during the Gold Rush, and the children find a gold nugget. Also, the Adventures in American Frontier series has a book on The Gold Rush that might be fun. That series are wordy picture books at about a 3rd grade level -- as are Boom Town or Dame Shirley and the Gold Rush, which might also be of interest. Chang's Paper Pony is a level 3 stepped reader (putting it at approximately 3rd grade level), and it is set during the Gold Rush, but is more about the Chinese immigrant experience as "outsiders".

Edited by Lori D.

Bonanza Girl was a good SL book

That's a good one, too -- and although it is set in Idaho during the "Silver Rush" there, very similar to the CA Gold Rush. Bonanza Girl is at a 5th grade reading level. The PBS Kids website has an interesting section on the Gold Rush: PBS Kids: American Experience: Wayback: Gold Rush. Enjoy!

Edited by Lori D.