Menu

S/O: Are undergrad science degrees pretty much useless?

Hunter's Moon

When I say useless, I mean in the job market.

Basically, if you get an undergrad degree in a science, it is expected that you will go onto grad. school, correct?

What if the science degree is specialized, such as Biotechnology? Then is it useless, or just a bit more useful than a plain ol' Biology degree?

Interested in Biotechnology (have been for a year), but I know to be a lab scientist I would then need to go on to a lab science program for a year afterwards. Also interested in Genetic Counseling, and that's a Master's program.

Are there really no undergrad jobs for all science degrees?

Just curious :bigear:

Teaching up to the high school level can be an option as long as you couple it with a teaching certificate.

I worked in industry with my BS Physics degree in a lab doing quality control work back in the very early 90's. It was rather boring to be honest. But for more current opportunities, I'll let others answer as I'm not up on it at all.

I see it as a stepping stone degree.

But there are plenty of people with a history, sociology, or psychology degree who are working at something else, where just having a college degree is the point. A degree in science tends to make people think you're smart.

It depends on what you want to do with it, the quality of your institution, your competition, who is hiring, whether you are willing to relocate, and your skills/interests. You could easily go in science related careers such as sales if you are willing to travel and have that personality, with just a B.S. If you want to be a scientist, you must go on in your education and training.

:iagree:

I believe that there are a lot of job opportunties for someone with a just a BS in Biology. I believe others have mentioned things like lab technician or quality control analyst. My sister works in a lab as a technician and has done so for years. She knows that she won't be promoted to run the lab (she'd need a PhD for that), but she makes decent money and has time to spend with her family.

As others have said, a BS Bio can be a stepping stone to other areas, too. I've not heard that to work in a science lab, you'd need anything "extra" above a BS Biology, but if you have aspirations to go into management, then you would probably need an advanced degree.

Brenda

:iagree:

I believe that there are a lot of job opportunties for someone with a just a BS in Biology. I believe others have mentioned things like lab technician or quality control analyst. My sister works in a lab as a technician and has done so for years. She knows that she won't be promoted to run the lab (she'd need a PhD for that), but she makes decent money and has time to spend with her family.

As others have said, a BS Bio can be a stepping stone to other areas, too. I've not heard that to work in a science lab, you'd need anything "extra" above a BS Biology, but if you have aspirations to go into management, then you would probably need an advanced degree.

Brenda

To be a lab scientist (Technician or Technologist) you need do an accredited lab science program. Technicians are usually those with an associate's from a lab science program and Technologists are those with Bachelor's degrees who either started out as a Tech and went to school while working, or who got a Bachelor's and then attended an accredited lab science program. You must pass a test to be called a Medical Lab Technologist and there are other requirements that must be met, such as a Bachelor's and I believe a year in a Lab Science program.

I wouldn't want a management position so I have no idea what I'd become in a lab. I didn't think those with a Bachelor's could become Technicians. They would be considered "over qualified" I would think. I'm probably wrong though, as all labs are run differently.

I just want to encourage you a bit here - don't choose your major based solely upon whether or not you'd need a graduate or post-graduate degree to work in your chosen field. Choose your major because it will be a step on a path to a job you are interested in working. It is very important that you not let the need to further your education totally turn you off of a career - life is really short, don't short-change yourself!

Also, as a graduate student there are many jobs open in the field you are studying - research, labs, TA positions at the university where you are studying, etc. You will most likely be able to work in your field as you go about earning your graduate degree, whether it be an MS or PhD. Many of these jobs aren't open to people who aren't graduate students and sometimes you earn credit for the work you do as well. Additionally, you will gain wonderful experience that will prepare you for a job in the private sector or to continue in a research or educational setting.

A lot of the students coming out of the college where I work manage to get jobs with just a bachelor's in a science field. Many do go on to grad school or med school, etc, but there are always a good number who don't go on in their education who still get jobs in the field they studied.

As you go through your college years, you'll probably want to keep in contact with the career office at college. They can help you figure out what you want to do and what courses/internships would be helpful for the field you're aiming for. (If you just ask professors, though, they will likely steer you toward a PhD program and won't see any other options. That may be all they know!)

Also, any science degree will guarantee to a future employer that you can do basic things like work with numbers.

Just a reminder about grad school -- in the sciences, students usually get paid to go to grad school. In other words, research assistantships and teaching assistantships and fellowships usually cover both tuition and a living stipend.

Depending on the school, the stipends can range up to about $30K per year above and beyond tuition. Not bad, especially when often other living expenses are negated by attending grad school (health insurance might be covered, maybe the student doesn't need a car).

In other words -- financially attending grad school can be a pretty good deal both financially and career-wise!.

When I say useless, I mean in the job market.

Basically, if you get an undergrad degree in a science, it is expected that you will go onto grad. school, correct?

What if the science degree is specialized, such as Biotechnology? Then is it useless, or just a bit more useful than a plain ol' Biology degree?

Interested in Biotechnology (have been for a year), but I know to be a lab scientist I would then need to go on to a lab science program for a year afterwards. Also interested in Genetic Counseling, and that's a Master's program.

Are there really no undergrad jobs for all science degrees?

Just curious :bigear:

Twenty years ago, a person (such as myself) could get an entry level position in a pharmaceutical/biotech company with a degree in biochemistry or chemistry.

I would not get a degree in biotechnology.

Twenty years ago, a person (such as myself) could get an entry level position in a pharmaceutical/biotech company with a degree in biochemistry or chemistry.

I would not get a degree in biotechnology.

Why not?

To clarify, if I do go for a science degree, I plan to go to grad. school. I've been going between Biology w/pre-med concentration or Biotechnology. Is a Biotechnology degree worse than a Biology degree? Why?

Why not?

To clarify, if I do go for a science degree, I plan to go to grad. school. I've been going between Biology w/pre-med concentration or Biotechnology. Is a Biotechnology degree worse than a Biology degree? Why?

I would get a degree in an intellectual discipline (such as biochemistry). This is a personal preference. Biotechnology is a vocational thing, not something to get a degree in, IMO.