Menu

Planning Books

I came across http://www.wellplannedday.com/ today and it looks very close to what I'm looking for but not quite perfect. Does something similar exist that is 1) undated and 2) prefer secular - not a deal breaker though, I can always cover up the religious bits with cute photos/ articles of interest. I really like the idea of a preprinted planner that I can work in, and it seems to have all the extra thing I like, but, yeah... the dates are all wrong for us and I'd prefer something undated.

I like to go to the teacher resource stores to find my planner. I spend a very long time each summer looking through each one until I find the one closest to 'the best'. They always have seating chart pages and substitute teacher pages but I just rename and use for something else. I use to make my own but grew weary of that. Good luck!

I just recently discovered The Homeschooler's Journal. I posted about it on the K-8th board and it received great reviews. I just placed my order.

http://www.christianbook.com/the-homeschoolers-journal/9780978541309/pd/97152?item_code=WW&netp_id=116164&event=ESRCG&view=details

http://rainbowresource.com/product/sku/017347/bd73269d09728bcb119ae068

I previously tried The Well-Planned Day, but it didn't work very well for me. I prefer a pre-made planner also, although donnayoung.org has some amazing free resources for creating your own planner.

I just recently discovered The Homeschooler's Journal. I posted about it on the K-8th board and it received great reviews. I just placed my order.

http://www.christianbook.com/the-homeschoolers-journal/9780978541309/pd/97152?item_code=WW&netp_id=116164&event=ESRCG&view=details

http://rainbowresource.com/product/sku/017347/bd73269d09728bcb119ae068

I previously tried The Well-Planned Day, but it didn't work very well for me. I prefer a pre-made planner also, although donnayoung.org has some amazing free resources for creating your own planner.

I've been using this and like it quite a lot. They also have one for high school.

I ended up making my own, using some pages from Donna Young's website and some I made myself in Publisher.

My personal pet peeve -- most homeschool journals assume an August-May schedule, 180 school days per year. They don't have the space to count field trips or activities "off season." Also, many homeschoolers don't follow that August-May schedule.

I ended up making my own, using some pages from Donna Young's website and some I made myself in Publisher.

My personal pet peeve -- most homeschool journals assume an August-May schedule, 180 school days per year. They don't have the space to count field trips or activities "off season." Also, many homeschoolers don't follow that August-May schedule.

We go year-round, so, in the Homeschooler's Journal, I simply note the date on the cover when I start, then the date when it finishes and move on to the next one. The weeks are undated, which works well. The field trip section is separate and undated, but I usually end up jotting the field trip or other activity information in the notes section of the week when it occurs. The biggest adjustment for me is the 2 page yearly planning spread. It's 12 months, but, since we don't start in a consistent month, I just draw a heavy line, indicate the year and then start back around (noting the year change). It's a bit messy, but functional. The weeks pages don't necessarily cover a full year for us, but it works out.

We go year-round, so, in the Homeschooler's Journal, I simply note the date on the cover when I start, then the date when it finishes and move on to the next one. The weeks are undated, which works well. The field trip section is separate and undated, but I usually end up jotting the field trip or other activity information in the notes section of the week when it occurs. The biggest adjustment for me is the 2 page yearly planning spread. It's 12 months, but, since we don't start in a consistent month, I just draw a heavy line, indicate the year and then start back around (noting the year change). It's a bit messy, but functional. The weeks pages don't necessarily cover a full year for us, but it works out.
I'm way too OCD for that to work for me. :tongue_smilie:

That is partly why I switched to schooling by the calendar year. I like my start and finish records/school plans to start and end in a uniform manner. Our school records are now Jan 1 to Dec 31.

If a curriculum gets run over into the next year, I'm fine with that. But I can't stand my records to overlap.

I love the Well-planned Day planner, but if you are secular, I'd skip it. There is a ton of stuff in it you'd have to cover up.

A long time ago I ordered this:

http://www.narhs.org/store/dailylogbook

It is for high school and includes 53 weeks of undated pages as well as a place to log time spent on each course (needed to keep track of high school credits). It is completely religion free. It worked very well for us.

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. I think I'll pay a visit to the local teacher supply shop and see if I can find anything of use there. I'll have to wait until it stops snowing though, so might be a few days now. I keep seeing lots of things that have *some* of what I want but none of it is all in one place. I'm envisioning this as a kind of overall record book of the year for the kids so I'd like to find the right thing.

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. I think I'll pay a visit to the local teacher supply shop and see if I can find anything of use there. I'll have to wait until it stops snowing though, so might be a few days now. I keep seeing lots of things that have *some* of what I want but none of it is all in one place. I'm envisioning this as a kind of overall record book of the year for the kids so I'd like to find the right thing.

Snow??? If I may be so bold, where in the world are you? The thought of snow right now sounds wonderful.

Snow??? If I may be so bold, where in the world are you? The thought of snow right now sounds wonderful.

well right now I'm in bed cos it's too darn cold to get out ;)

I'm in New Zealand, watching a one-in-ten years snow storm blow by outside my window... it happens so rarely the city shuts down and we all hunker down until it goes away. It'll be gone by the end of the week and everyone will talk for months about what they did in the "big snow":lol:

well right now I'm in bed cos it's too darn cold to get out ;)

I'm in New Zealand, watching a one-in-ten years snow storm blow by outside my window... it happens so rarely the city shuts down and we all hunker down until it goes away. It'll be gone by the end of the week and everyone will talk for months about what they did in the "big snow":lol:

Sounds a little like Virginia. We usually get fewer than 6 inches if we get any at all. But every once in a while we get a real whopper. We take a thousand pictures and talk of nothing else for weeks.:D

Sounds a little like Virginia. We usually get fewer than 6 inches if we get any at all. But every once in a while we get a real whopper. We take a thousand pictures and talk of nothing else for weeks.:D

I find it very amusing after spending a few winters in Scandinavia where life just goes on... our whole city just shuts down. Then again we're all just hoping the earth stays still while the snow is here, because more collapsed buildings and prolonged power cuts would be a very bad thing with all this snow around.

I find it very amusing after spending a few winters in Scandinavia where life just goes on... our whole city just shuts down. Then again we're all just hoping the earth stays still while the snow is here, because more collapsed buildings and prolonged power cuts would be a very bad thing with all this snow around.

Everybody says that about the DC area too. Everything shuts down. We are a very transient area and folks from out of town think it's ridiculous, but then, it doesn't make sense to devote a large portion of the municipal budget to snow removal when it's only an issue every five or so years. When I lived in Nebraska as a child the schools never closed - they were prepared for it. I'm glad we don't have to worry about earthquakes on top of snow - yikes!!