Menu

Kindergarten, Your first day??

We started a few things August 1, but we'll have an "official" first day when the PS kids go back after Labor Day. The neighborhood bus stop is our front lawn, so it's momentus when the school bus runs start up! :glare:

I'm not exactly sure what my plan is yet. School cones possibly, pictures, a special breakfast, and a park trip!

Edited by Zuzu822

We started a few small back to school traditions that year. I let him pick whatever he wants for a special breakfast (that year it was pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream, subsequent years it's been doughnuts). I do a treasure hunt for him where the treasure is something school related (new supplies, new lunchbox, etc). I take a picture of him (and this year my second one starting K) with a sign saying "First Day of _______".

The first day of school in general I make lighter. The first day of K for my oldest we did a little phonics, a little handwriting practice using shaving cream to write the letters in, and a math game. Then we read our Five in a Row book (what we use for K) which was Ferdinand, went out for tapas at a Spanish restaurant and went ice-skating (for fun and it was free). The other two years we've just done stuff here but it's still light. We usually do something fun for recess, either go to the pool or for a bike ride or to a park.

Another thing I forgot to say was that our very first day of K we did on Labor Day with my husband home from work. It kind of just ended up that way but I was really glad. It was more special with Dad here. The last two years we've started in August. This year we'll start again on Labor Day due to other stuff going on in August, and I'm excited to have dh here again for the first day.

Edited by Alice

We'll have our first day this Monday. DS will be starting Kindergarten:) I'm nervous about not only adding him, but also adding in preschool with the boy I babysit! I tried to do preschool with all the boys last year and it didn't work out too well. I won't be trying to do them together this year. So I'm worried about the time it will take to teach them separately! Preschooler won't be more than 15 min. per day. We just want to make sure he knows the basics that will make kindergarten easier for him next year.

I don't have any special "first day" stuff planned this time. I had a little pile of treats/small gifts back when DD started K. I did get them "awesome" notebooks.

I might make alphabet pancakes that morning. They like that:)

Has anyone started this year already with Kindergarten? Can you remember your first day with Kindergarten with your FIRST homeschooler? Our first day is comming up in about 3 weeks and I am getting nervous! Please for those who have BTDT I'd love to hear all about it.

It was a couple years ago, but I remember the first day of K with dd. When ds went down for a nap, we got out all our books to start. We did the first lesson in each subject. It was so easy! :hurray: And the first day didn't take much time at all. I had forgotten just how simple K is. You will be fine!

My first day with my boys (I started them together, even though they are 9 months apart in age) was great. It was really fun. We did a lot of fun thematic units in preschool and kindy. My poor dd, who started kinder this year kind of got shafted. For her it was just, "Ok, honey, let's do your phonics lesson!" :blush: I feel so bad, but the boys have so much going on with their lessons now that I just can't manage fun thematic units with DD, too. But, I console myself by the knowledge that she gets away with doing so much more than the boys did at her age, just because she does it with them.

My oldest is kindergarten this year too. I'm super nervous even though we do school daily now. The plan is to take her out for breakfast, do one of those kidercones, and take a picture. People are really starting to pressure us about homeschooling. I'm hoping that after it starts they'll be quieter. Doubtful