Menu

Am I going to be shunned if I go? H/s group

I'm in a very dense LDS area; so I expect some to be at one..which is going to be held at Barnes/Nobles. I'm semi-comfortable with this one; you know it's going to be just pitching books.

I asked yesterday if they allowed educator discounts for "afterschoolers"..they said as long as I produced a written document by the district indicting I was a home educator, everything is tres' groovy.

I'll ask when I go down to the district if they will state something on paper. Should be interesting huh?

The other two claim to be non-religious in make-up of members. They do more co-op things like trips, events, etc.

It's going to be a couple of weeks before things get rolling. I'll just directly ask..um..but how do I say it politely and without being being defensive sounding? Just state the facts or what?

I'm in a very dense LDS area; so I expect some to be at one..which is going to be held at Barnes/Nobles. I'm semi-comfortable with this one; you know it's going to be just pitching books.

I asked yesterday if they allowed educator discounts for "afterschoolers"..they said as long as I produced a written document by the district indicting I was a home educator, everything is tres' groovy.

I'll ask when I go down to the district if they will state something on paper. Should be interesting huh?

The other two claim to be non-religious in make-up of members. They do more co-op things like trips, events, etc.

It's going to be a couple of weeks before things get rolling. I'll just directly ask..um..but how do I say it politely and without being being defensive sounding? Just state the facts or what?

Well, our predominantly LDS group is fine with us going, and I make no secret of the fact that The Sponge will be starting a charter school in the fall. No issues here. I am still HSing her over the summer & HSing her little sister at K level, so that helps, but a lot of the moms in our group have used the virtual school from the district or are signed up with the charter school where they get to pick the curricula, etc, so it's not a big deal. I'd ask first though.

Both in-person homeschooling groups I was involved in were inclusive of those who homeschooled younger kids while sending older students to a local school, used virtual charter schools (public school at home), or attended the school district's homeschooling enrichment program one day a week. I don't think they would mind at all if an afterschooler inquired about joining. However, it depends on the group. Some groups are more exclusive than others by design and require an application, a signed statement of faith, etc., and I would assume afterschoolers would not fit into the requirements and restrictions of those groups.

Speaking for my own homeschool group, we've got classical schoolers, unschoolers, secular homeschoolers, Christian homeschoolers, cyber schoolers, people who have some kids in school and others at home, and everybody is welcome.

Are you considering homeschooling at some point and want information, to meet people etc? If not, I guess I'm not sure how it will suit your needs anyway as most homeschool groups do things during school hours that your kids wouldn't be able to participate in if they were in school during the day.

Or do you mean for younger kids who aren't of school age yet...? If so I think it's fine to just explain to whoever is in charge that you are homeschooling your younger children and afterschooling your older children and you wanted to inquire as to whether it's okay for you to join, and see what they say.

Whew, I never thought of that!

I'd imagine if they are structured that way I'll get a whiff of agenda very fast though, and that's perfectly fine.

Something has to give here shortly, I'd think by three weeks into September. I need a definite support system by then. Way long detailed story, but uh, ya..something has to give soon.

Well, as far as what format of homeschooling/afterschooling and such is still on the table. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a hybrid, but I'm prepared to have that plan blown out of the water. Right now we are looking at a wait/full list at the local (gag) gifted school (I'm personally not fond of the word) and if that doesn't shake out, I could do regular PS with possible outreach within the school, but again, that depends...

Our last experience with the pull-out classes and teaching was a complete disaster even though they assured me time and time again it was a perfect fit. It totally wasn't. We just kept slamming away at home and wiping up the tears after class let out during the day.

My daughter is 8 years old, traditionally ps schooled, but all over the map on various disciplines. Struggles in math, excels in Language Arts (to an extreme)- there is absolutely NO science scheduled at the ps (isn't that sick?)- so she has to fill in there...History layout to *me* is completely backwards...they teach the kids first their neighborhood/community/city/country...and I think that's ridiculous...I think the ancient history should come first..

Gosh I could ramble on forever on discipline structures and levels; it suffices to say we (the ps and I) do not match on approach so I fill in what I feel they don't do or can't do.

My hope is that by connecting with a group I can find one or two other families that blend or are geared toward just a little bit with subjects we practice, gather those kids up in small groups to work together on things.

Mom all the time gets a little boring you know?

Edited by one*mom

I guess i would wonder what your purpose was? If it's to talk curriculum, they really don't much at daytime activities. Though one of them had moms meetings at night that were practical curriculum/homeschooling informational meetings. The groups I tried were mixed in how welcome you would be. At least one group specified you could have kids also in private school, but not public.

Another was much more laid back and had families with some kids in public and some home schooled. But, this was also the group least likely to discuss curriculum. There were unschoolers, Abeka'ers, public K-12 users, and Sonlighters mixed and they got along by NOT focusing on schooling issues, beyond things like organization and easy lunches. And they STILL had issues where someone publicly said K12 was NOT homeschool and shouldn't be called homeschool and was government trying to regulate homeschooling. The emails flew on that one. :)

As a former full-time homeschooler, current mixed (one child going to private and one at home).........I'm a misfit around homeschoolers. Even the nice ones get a little defensive about the benefits of homeschooling and I find myself defending school (but not too strongly) while acknowledging benefits of homeschooling (but not too strongly). It can be a little awkward. And it DOES come up. They haven't even been confrontational, just making conversation. And that's with my youngest still at home.

We ARE doing a couple of homeschool activities this year. But, already, having to pick up my older daughter is a little bit of an issue. Prime time for homeschool activities is 1-3, and that's the point where I have to be thinking about getting back to her school.

Edited by snickelfritz

Well, I have some response from them. This isn't going to work.

This particular group is geared for much younger children and families, as in K and under. They do little community trips and whatnot. Sort of like a MOPS group does.

The group was formed by a mom who sells curriculum geared toward that age.

Oh well.

The details were not presented very clearly in the initial publication of the group.

Days like this I feel homesick. But I'm never going back there either. Oh well.