Menu

s/o wedding - makeup and hair for bridal party

I understand how the bride might want someone else to do her hair and makeup for her wedding day, someone who has practiced on her so that they both know what the bride wants. (Although I didn't go that route.) But I don't understand being a bridesmaid and paying someone whom you've never met to do your hair and makeup on the day. Why? Wouldn't you do it better yourself? Or is this another way of getting the bridemaids to all look alike?

I think it would fall under the category of wanting something special for a special occasion.

A lot of girls do this for school dances and senior pictures as well.

Not everyone wears makeup regularly.

Someone might feel more confident having their make-up done by "a Professional" when they are going to be "on stage".

In other words words I think there are a lot of reasons for a bridesmaid to this.

I was a bridesmaid for my sister's wedding two years ago.

Of the three women standing up with my sister:

1. Maid of honor had her hair done at salon with all of us, did her own make-up.

2. I had my hair and makeup done at salon. Hair, for one because it was an up-do, and my up-do consists of a pony tail. Make-up, well, because we where there, and it was fun! Part of the "day"! I wear makeup usually whenever I go out (not a fanatic, I do go to the stores without), so I CAN do my own, but why not get a professional to do it once in a while, it was a nice treat! (and ya know, as a SAHM HSing Mom to three boys, a day at a salon really was a special treat for me!)

3. Third bridemaid did her own hair and make-up (she was not with us for most of the day, just showed up at the church pre-wedding)

I think it is a personal preference, but many reasons could include that 1. It is a "girl's day" prior to the wedding ceremony, to make the bride have fun and enjoy her day, 2. Don't have experience doing hair and make up yourself, 3. Just to treat yourself

It could be a sad commentary on bridzillas wanting all the bridesmaids to look alike.:glare:

I was a bridesmaid for a friend's wedding.

1) She kept saying, "Put more make-up on, Cyndi! You NEVER wear enough make-up!!"

2) She made us all wear Eternity so we would smell the same coming down the aisle. The wedding didn't last long. We should have worn Realities. :001_huh:

I just left getting my hair cut & a bride & her maid were getting their hair done.

It's not uncommon for this to be done for any special occasion (prom, banquet, etc) anymore. I see it more as a special, fun thing--not a bridezilla. Like others have said--most of us don't do those fancy up-dos that really take extra hands sometimes!

I understand how the bride might want someone else to do her hair and makeup for her wedding day, someone who has practiced on her so that they both know what the bride wants. (Although I didn't go that route.) But I don't understand being a bridesmaid and paying someone whom you've never met to do your hair and makeup on the day. Why? Wouldn't you do it better yourself? Or is this another way of getting the bridemaids to all look alike?

I think sometimes it's just a way of treating your wedding party to something nice. And to acknowledge that doing an updo (or other formal hairstyle) and makeup fitting for a formal event can be hard to do on yourself. My bridesmaids and I got our hair done together, I'm sure if one of them had asked to be able to do their own it wouldn't have been a big deal.

I used to be really good at doing people's hair for fancy occasions. I could never do it on myself. It's really hard to hold your arms behind your head trying to use the curling iron for a really long time. Also, it's hard to see what everything is looking like back there and where the next piece should be pinned. I had to prep my hair (aka straighten it, since my hair is very curly) ahead of time and give my friend step by step instructions on how to do it.

well... for my wedding, I had all the girls get their hair done at a salon. It wasn't very expensive - like $20 apiece. I wanted them all to have updos and that isn't something that most people can just do themselves... but their makeup, they were on their own.

I just assumed that's what everyone did unless they just let everyone wear their hair casually. (or, like in my sil's case, we had a friend come to the church and do it for us)

Because it's fun? I've been in a few bridal parties and it was fun to spend the morning getting our hair and make-up done together (well, except for the wedding where the bride insisted we all wear our hair in french braids...:tongue_smilie:).

Because it's fun? I've been in a few bridal parties and it was fun to spend the morning getting our hair and make-up done together (well, except for the wedding where the bride insisted we all wear our hair in french braids...:tongue_smilie:).

:iagree: I had a hair and make up girl come to my house and do all our hair and make up the morning of my wedding. Actually, 2 came. We watching movies, snacked, and made mimosas. I paid for the whole deal and it was a blast! One of my favorite wedding memories. They could request their hair how they wanted it - I was fine with up or down, and could request particular make up if they wanted too. It did make a difference in our pictures.