Menu

How long are your history cycles?

sahm99

How long are your History Cycles?  

1. 1. How long are your History Cycles?

• We tackle each year individually / no sequence...
    • Two-year cycle (à la SL...or other)
    • Three-year cycle (Omnibus...or other)
    • Four-year cycle (WTM throughout...or other)
    • Five-year cycle (VP...or else)
    • Six-year cycle...or more...

We have been starting out with 4 years, but I am tempted to switch to three years...:glare:

Year 1 : Ancients

Year 2 : Middle Ages...plus some

Year 3 : Modern

Looking at the Omnibus sequence got me thinking, and the more I consider the different aspects, the more I like it...

And, as a bonus, my planning/tweeking-passion would be satisfied for the next 15 years:D. (Just imagine adapting TOG to a three-year cycle...a tweeker's heaven!:lol:)

ETA: And, yes, I would love to hear details!!

Edited by sahm99

I started out thinking 4 year cycle was a great idea - so neat and organized and logical... but then... I realized that I didn't actually want to be confined to someone else's plan.

My older daughter and I spent the first two years of homeschooling doing ancients because she just loved it so much.

Now we've started medieval Europe. I anticipate getting through the renaissance by next year. But then what about non-European history? Plenty of things were going on in China and in the Americas... and my daughter really wants to know about them.

Then what about American history? We really want to use Hakim's books, which look more extensive than just a year long read.

What about the rest of the world since the renaissance?

To confuse matters, I also have a younger daughter who doesn't share an interest in history. Starting ancients in first grade didn't work for her as she wasn't ready and she didn't understand anything. I'm having to come up with something totally different for her.

We did 1 4 year cycle (that actually turned into 5) using SOTW.

We're in the middle of a 2 year (which will actually be 2.5) SL cycle

Then my plan is to start Omnibus with the older 2 (not sure what I'll do with the younger 3 then--it'll be around Christmas of 2012).

I do a one-year "cycle," but I guess that is not a cycle. It is very similar to what Epi Kardia does, as someone on this board pointed out to me. This way we are reviewing every year the big picture of World and American history.

We do world history overview up to Columbus for the first half of the school year, and then an American history overview for the second half of the year. I also have been starting about a month earth (in August) so I can get through my schedule. I am planning it based on books such as CHOW, Builders of the Old World, etc.

I also add in-depth projects about certain time periods, civilizations, or events (2-3 each for world history and American), such as Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, the Revolutionary War, etc. This gives us a chance to get into more details about various important subjects.

We have been starting out with 4 years, but I am tempted to switch to three years...:glare:

Year 1 : Ancients

Year 2 : Middle Ages...plus some

Year 3 : Modern

Looking at the Omnibus sequence got me thinking, and the more I consider the different aspects, the more I like it...

And, as a bonus, my planning/tweeking-passion would be satisfied for the next 15 years:D. (Just imagine adapting TOG to a three-year cycle...a tweeker's heaven!:lol:)

ETA: And, yes, I would love to hear details!!

I am doing a 3 yr tog schedule :)

We've started onto the path of two-year cycles. I never liked the idea of only learning American history in the context of general world history, so we are doing Sonlight cycles - two years of world history, then two years of American history. My kids are spaced about two years apart, so the added bonus is that each child can start at the beginning of a cycle rather than starting in the middle.

I can't answer the poll.

Older son: 4 years world with American integrated (grades 3-6), 2 years world (grades 7-8), 1 year American (grade 9), 1 year world (grade 10)

Younger son: 1 year geography/American (K), 3 years world (grades 1-3), 1 year American (grade 4), 3 years world (grades 5-7), 1 year American (high school level, grade 8), 2 years world (grades 9-10)

We're on a hodge podge History schedule ha.

5 years cycle 1 grammar stage (SOTW 1, 2, Am Hist, HO 3, 4)

3 years cycle 2 logic stage (K12 Human Odyssey Prehistory-Medieval and Early Modern to Modern)

4 years cycle 3 rhetoric stage (Ancients, Middle Ages, Renaissance, Modern)

• 2 weeks later...

We're just starting a cycle, but I am dividing it differently than SWB, and we're doing it semi-unit study style...

Year 1 (3rd & 5th grades): Ancient Egypt & surrounding areas, Ancient China, Ancient India, Ancient Greece

Year 2 (4th & 6th grades): Ancient Rome through the Middle Ages

Year 3 (5th & 7th grades): Renaissance through the Age of Enlightenment

Year 4 (6th & 8th grades): Post-Age of Enlightenment through modern

ETA: While we'll discuss American history in the context of world history as we go, we also do a light summer study of American history. This summer, we simply watched America: The Story of US for an overview. Next year I plan to read aloud some books on early American history.

Edited by momto2Cs

Our co-op is doing 30 weeks of SOTW from the beginning of Volume I. We start with 2 weeks of Creation for SOTW I and move on from there... so from Grade 1- the end of Grade 6, we'll cover SOTW 1-4 :) We have a couple of extra/review lessons along the way in some of the years. Then American for Grades 7 & 8 and MFW for Highschool. :)

For VP, history in elementary years is 2-6 (4 years), and then 3 years for 7-12. That is what we are planning on following. It just works better for me. They get a good overview in elementary school. Lay a foundation with the Time Line, and then we begin to flesh it out a bit more in 7-9. and in 10-12 we can delve in a bit deeper.

I'm not sure what materials we're using for 7-12 yet... but that's sort of my project for this year to get those things well planned.