Menu

Need advice on

I agree with both the above posts. At 2, she really has no clue. It'll be a short phase (assuming she's no longer watching that movie and you don't accidently reinforce the behavior).

Not knowing what it is, it's harder to be specific but I'd usually ignore it and let it die out. Again, without further exposure, it probably will fairly quickly.

However, if it's something in context, a substitution (like "oh frog tongues and turkey legs") sometimes works well. Make it catchy, silly, etc, but I would not use typical adult substitutions as I find that extremely ugly coming from children (well, and I try not to use those myself even!).

If she were any older and it was a bad word (many disney movies unfortunately have adult substitutions or say the first part of a phrase and just don't say the bad word associated....makes me sick)...anyway, if it were bad like that and she were 3.5 or 4, I'd say let her say those into the potty and flush them. You can let her do this every time she feels the need to say it OR have her do it once and for all (like throwing pacifier out and letting garbage man pick it up).

HTHs a little,

I'd teach her some new songs, something else she can retort but not give any focus to the offensive mutterings if she doesn't know what it means. If she does know what it means then teach her it's not nice. I have to do this a lot when the kids are exposed to others who wish to call others names

I agree with all of the great advice that you've been given. Just ignore it and it will fade out. If you react to it then it may stick around longer. I remember ds running around saying "To infinity and beyond!..." Over. and over. and... He's almost 11 and now that is a cute memory:)

Magic cure:

Time

She'll eventually replace it with something else you'd like to change.

No, I've never BTDT, I'm speaking hypothetically. My children, much less 2 year olds, have never annoyed me with their verbal utterances.

Joanne, the mother of the 9 year old who danced in front of church today during the children's sermon