Menu

Elementary Mathematics for Teachers

campmom

By Parker and Baldride. I saw this book(course) recommended on another thread and checked it out, it looks pretty good. I was wondering if anyone had ever read it or used it as a course for better learning how to teach elementary math. It uses singapore textalong with the book for working out problems in the process of learning how to teach. What do you think?

By Parker and Baldride. I saw this book(course) recommended on another thread and checked it out, it looks pretty good. I was wondering if anyone had ever read it or used it as a course for better learning how to teach elementary math. It uses singapore textalong with the book for working out problems in the process of learning how to teach. What do you think?

I couldn't wade through it. I'm not sure why. I do like Ahroni's

http://www.amazon.com/Arithmetic-Parents-Grownups-Childrens-Mathematics/dp/0977985253

which I have read over and over, as well as Liping Ma's book.

I got this book cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Mathematics-Elementary-Middle-Schools/dp/0130116815/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

and have chewed through various parts when I got to that topic. It helped me as a person who had never taught before.

But I couldn't get through the Parker book. HTH

I am a fan of the Parker book. It's shorter and more intuitive (to me, at least) than the HIGs. If I'm having trouble with a particular concept, I've been able to flip to the relevant section, and - bang - I'm ready to go. So much cheaper than buying all of the HIGs. But I am mathy, if that makes a difference.

these other books look good also.

Zoo Keeper is the Parker book only good if you are using singapore? I"m not using it but just want more information on how to teach math well and to understand it myself. I'm not mathy.

Anyone else have any experience with it?

Elementary Mathematics for Teachers is an excellent book that is well worth the time it takes to read. I had already used the Singapore math materials, so I didn't need to do the exercises suggested in the book. I read it before using Singapore math with my younger son, and it made the HIG obsolete. Highly recommended, especially to folks using Singapore math (in fact, in an ideal world, it would be required reading).

these other books look good also.

Zoo Keeper is the Parker book only good if you are using singapore? I"m not using it but just want more information on how to teach math well and to understand it myself. I'm not mathy.

Anyone else have any experience with it?

BUMP

As the name implies, the book is a textbook (a slim volume, though) for elementary teachers, preparing them to use the SM primary math books. So they will refer to specific pages/problems in a SM book here and there. However, when I've read the book (and I only read chapters pertaining to the subject matter we're covering or about to cover), I don't have the SM textbooks with me. You don't need the underlying SM texts to understand the EMfT book's lessons on how to explain multiplication (or division or fractions or whatnot). Therefore, IMO one could totally read the book and apply its teachings to other math programs.