Menu

Searching for Human Body curriculum for co-op (gr.1-2)

keglinja

This fall 4 families will be doing Apologia Elementary Anatomy with our kids gr. 3 and up. However, we would like to try something else for the younger kids (grades 1 & 2) as the text is too much for them right now.

We do not need the topics to all be exactly the same, but the curriculum should be easy to implement with little planning - and somewhat hands-on and engaging for 4 rather active kids. We meet 1x/week for about 90 minutes. But some reading could be done at home (minimal).

Any great suggestions out there?

I really like the Evan Moor Scienceworks book on the body. You can use tons of outside reading like the Let's Read and Find Out series, there are simple experiments and log books to complete, as well as worksheets and mini-books. I also really like the TCM book called My Body. Each child gets to make and complete a life size body with all its parts colored and labeled. There are one page read-alouds for each body part. We also really enjoy the Somebody game by Aristoplay.

I used the "Human Body" project pack from In the Hands of a Child for my 1st grader last year. Everything you need is included in the pack - including all reading. The lesson plan is broken down into 10 days. I just did one "day" a week.

Taryn

I would also highly recommend Scholastic's downloadable Easy Make & Learn Projects: Human Body. I used this in a co-op last year, and the kids went crazy over the projects!
Thanks for this resource, I had not seen it before!

Also, along with Little Otter's Science, we're going to do the "Magic School bus journey into the human body" kit. I could do one experiment each week with LOS, but I think that I'll save it as a fun thing over Christmas break or as a review at the end of the year.

The website kidshealth.org has a free Health curriculum for different grade levels that includes printouts, activities, teachers' guides, and so on. I'm actually going to be using it for my 6th grader this fall, but they do also have a PreK-Grade 2 level.

This is the link to the "Human Body Series" for PreK to Grade 2:

http://kidshealth.org/classroom/index.jsp?Grade=pk&Section=body

You'll see it provides links to 'teachers guides' and 'handouts' for each category.

From there, if you look to the left, you'll see that in addition to the "Human Body Series" there's also a "Health Problems" category and a "Personal Health" category, as well as links to the other Grade Levels (3-5, 6-8, and 9-12).