Menu

Disneyland or Legoland?

It's been WAY too long since we've taken a family vacation and we want to plan one with at least one day at the beach. Since we live in AZ, Cali is the closest spot for that. We'd also like to visit either Legoland or Disneyland. Let me rephrase that, I think we should go to Legoland because none of us has ever been there. My husband isn't "sold" on Legoland and thinks we should go to Disneyland, even though 3 out of the 4 of us have been there. Our kids are 7yo and almost 13 (end of this month).

What say ye, hive?

(caveat: I'm looking for suggestions and input from those who have been to both. Thanks!)

It's been WAY too long since we've taken a family vacation and we want to plan one with at least one day at the beach. Since we live in AZ, Cali is the closest spot for that. We'd also like to visit either Legoland or Disneyland. Let me rephrase that, I think we should go to Legoland because none of us has ever been there. My husband isn't "sold" on Legoland and thinks we should go to Disneyland, even though 3 out of the 4 of us have been there. Our kids are 7yo and almost 13 (end of this month).

What say ye, hive?

(caveat: I'm looking for suggestions and input from those who have been to both. Thanks!)

I'm sorry I'm not qualified to answer because I haven't been to Disneyland...only Disneyworld once when I was a kid. When I think of Legoland I think of the place in the Mall of America where there are big stuff made of Legos. Is there an actual Legoland with rides and stuff that compares to Disneyland?? In my mind there's no comparison.....go to Disney. But, maybe there is a cool Legoland that I'm not aware of and I'm too tired to google it. Soooo....why am I posting? I don't even know. Sorry!

Legoland isn't as big or involved as Disneyland, but it's nice if you have DC who like legos. I think the rides are more targeted for a younger audience, and might be boring to a 13 yr old. It's also something that really can be a solid single day, while Disneyland can't (although DD keeps pointing out that they have a waterpark now), unless your kids are like mine and will get stuck in the creations center and spend most of the day building!

The rides at Legoland are geared toward younger kids so it may not be fun for your older. Alternately, you may want to do it now before they get too much bigger. The Lego displays are cool and I think there is a Star Wars thing going on right now. They do have a water park and also the Sealife Aquarium is sorta attached.

Legoland is definitely not as big, but that could be a plus if you're only coming for a day.

I was born in Southern California and lived there for the first 31 consecutive years of my life. I used to be a Disneyland annual passholder (so I've been there COUNTLESS times) and I've been to Legoland a few times.

I really enjoy both parks. How many days are you staying? What time of year?

Disneyland:

Disneyland is more of a "vacation experience", and you can really stay on-property (unlike Disneyworld, if you can't afford Disney's official hotels there are several affordable 'friendly neighbor' hotels in easy walking distance of the parks.) You'll have Disneyland and California Adventure, lots of great Disney-experiences and dining options.

It is also *Disney*. It is more expensive, more crowded, etc.

Keep in mind Disneyland is NOT Disney World. It is just not the same kind of experience. In some ways, it is better, but it is not as immersive or anywhere NEAR as vast as WDW. However, it is more quaint, accessible, and "historically Disney". There IS enough on-site to fill a whole vacation if you want (you can't do Disneyland or even California Adventure all in a single day) - but there are other attractions within 10-15 minutes if you want to mix it up. Knott's Berry Farm, water park, etc.

Legoland:

Legoland is a much lower-key park, and the focus of the attractions is interactive, and especially good for younger kids. They also have a new aquarium right next door though I've never been. One advantage is that Sea World and the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park are not far (and SD Zoo is, IMO, the best zoo in the country.) You're also not far from Mission San Juan Capistrano and some great beach locations.

While Legoland has a lot for very young kids (in fact, I think it comes out ahead of Disneyland for the preschool crowd) it also has plenty for your 7 and 13 year old, especially if they like legos.

Either choice would provide opportunities for an excellent vacation, IMO.

- If you want a more traditionally touristy, commercial, have kids that are fans of some of the Disney films, shows, etc, and big on WOW factor and the "magic" only Disney can provide - Disneyland is your choice.

- If you want something more educational, relaxed, lower-key, have a lego-maniac in your family and want some of your vacation to include more off-site outings, go Legoland.

Either location allows for a day-trip to the beach.

Edited by zenjenn

Unless your 13 year old is REALLY into legos, I think Legoland would likely be kind of boring for her. We went when mine were 3, 6, and 8, and even the 8 year old was looking a little jaded (we went after spending a few days at Disneyland; I think it would have been better to do it in the opposite order). The rides are mostly dressed up off the shelf kiddie rides of the sort you'll find at any local amusement park (with a few exceptions). It's a cute park, and we appreciated the lack of lines, but, IMO, it's really not in the same league as Disney.

The rides at Legoland are geared toward younger kids so it may not be fun for your older. Alternately, you may want to do it now before they get too much bigger. The Lego displays are cool and I think there is a Star Wars thing going on right now. They do have a water park and also the Sealife Aquarium is sorta attached.

Legoland is definitely not as big, but that could be a plus if you're only coming for a day.

:iagree:

I wanted to do both (it's only about two hours apart) and dh said no - honestly if you have to choose I'd say Disney.... sorry

We are coming at it from the passes perspective, but we have Legoland this year and are having lots of fun. It is completely lower key and not as exhausting. The lines are shorter, the atmosphere more relaxing. They added the aquarium and also a water park inside Legoland recently, so you can lay on a lounger while your kids splash at the water park. There are indoor areas where the kids can just build with Legos and catch some shade. There are a couple shows to watch, and of course the "brick shop" areas. We like it.

That said, we do Disney passes every few years because it is just ... Disney. Sooooo many rides, so much to see and do. It is more the frantic frenzy of fun than our little jaunts to Legoland. :)

I used to live in Southern California and went to both OFTEN. We had DL annual passes for years and years and we went to Legoland during homeschool days at least twice per year.

If you can only pick one, I would pick Disneyland. We are Disney folks who love legos too, but out of the two, DL will appeal to the greater span of ages and folks.

However, if you can go to both, DO!

You can also look up when homeschool days are for both places AND there are very often free kids' passes to Legoland, which would help you.

Dawn