Menu

Looking for intriguing non-fiction to add variety to my teen's reading ...

Looking for intriguing non-fiction to add variety to my teen's reading ....

So what are some engrossing, intriguing, fascinating, mind-expanding books that you've read recently? I'm thinking of reads for the layman as opposed to books for someone who's already well-read in a given area. Suggestions are welcome from any area -- psychology, math, linguistics. The sky's the limit.

A couple of titles that I can think of along these lines would be Bill Bryson's biography Shakespeare: The World as Stage.

See: http://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-World-Stage-Eminent-Lives/dp/0060740221

and Quirkology: How We Discover the Big Truths in Small Things by Richard Wiseman.

See: http://www.amazon.com/Quirkology-Discover-Truths-Small-Things/dp/0465090796

Thanks!

Regards,

Kareni

My 10the grade son read Bryson's Shakespeare book this year. He was already a Bryson fan, having read A Walk in the Woods after he did his first several day hike on the Appalachian Trail.

Last summer, my son and one of his friends had much to say about the book Freakonomics. Another economics sort of book that my son found to be relevant to his life was The Real Toy Story: Inside the Ruthless Battle for America's Youngest Consumers.

In recent months my son read Aldo Leopold's landmark ecological book, A Sand County Almanac. This summer, he plans on reading Barbara Tuchman's A Distant Mirror.

For the engineering oriented, there is Petroski's book, The Pencil. I have heard great things about it, but have yet to read it.

Jane

ETA: Uncle Tungsten: Memories of a Chemical Boyhood by Oliver Sachs--this book is pure inspiration!

Sounds like you would enjoy some of the Teaching Company series -- series of lectures on all kinds of things, from music to art to humanities to various sciences to math...

As far as specific books, don't know if these are the types of books that are exactly what you mean, but here are some non-fiction titles I can recommend:

- Through a Screen Darkly (Overstreet)

Wonderful, thoughtful, personal journey of looking for (and finding) Truth and spiritual meaning in films.

- The Mind's I: Fantasies and Reflections on Self and Soul (Hofstadter)

Fascinating, playful series of short essays by a wide range of authors, each followed by a thought-provoking response by Hofstadter.

- The Devil in the White City (Larson)

Intersperses the partial biographies of two men: the brilliant architect who designed and oversaw the building of the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago; and the horrible serial killer in Chicago during the World's Fair.

Message in the Bottle; Lost in the Cosmos (Percy)

Essays on worldview from a Christian perspective.

I just finished a book called The Gift of Pain, by Dr. Paul Brand and Philip Yancey. It's about Dr. Brand's experiences working with leprosy patients in India, how he came to breakthrough discoveries about leprosy treatment, and how this led him to contemplate the way pain is a useful gift in our lives. It has much to say about the psychology of pain, how pain is perceived in different cultures, compassion, and much more. It's not a heavy read, but it's fascinating. Highly recommended, especially if you have a teen who is medical/psychology/missions-oriented.

http://www.amazon.com/Gift-Pain-Paul-Brand/dp/0310221447/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211677535&sr=8-1

My son is reading the following non-fiction this summer. I haven't read them, though, so I'm not sure about them. I'm going to try to at least skim them before I hand them over. I'm using these to round out his peace studies, US history, and government/economics courses. Somewhat weirdly, I admit, but if these do what I hope, they will round out those courses by taking an optimistic look at the future. We'll see. As I said, I haven't read them. (Except sort of, since I read the old Diet for a Small Planet.)

Getting a Grip - clarity creativity and courage in a world gone mad

Hope's Edge (the new Diet for a Small Planet)

and a book about conflict resolution and mediation that combines global and personal methods and whose name I can't remember and its already packed so I can't check

I think every teen should read Dove.

I've seen this book over the years but have never picked it up. Thanks for the suggestion!

I am reading Stephen Ambrose's book "Undaunted Courage" about the Lewis and Clark expedition. There is so much more to that story than I've ever known before - absolutely fascinating.

I'd heard some good things about this book -- thanks for reminding me of it.

For science, I loved Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. I also just finished Blind Watchers of the Sky by Rocky Kolb--an excellent read!

I too enjoyed Bryson's science book; he certainly wears his learning lightly. Thanks for the other recommendation. My daughter might take an Astronomy class at the community college this coming year, so it would be a good choice for her to read.

Regards,

Kareni

... Last summer, my son and one of his friends had much to say about the book Freakonomics.

Yes, my teen also enjoyed this one.

Another economics sort of book that my son found to be relevant to his life was The Real Toy Story: Inside the Ruthless Battle for America's Youngest Consumers.

Hmm, that does sound intriguing.

In recent months my son read Aldo Leopold's landmark ecological book, A Sand County Almanac. This summer, he plans on reading Barbara Tuchman's A Distant Mirror.

I've heard good things about both of these. Thanks for the reminder.

For the engineering oriented, there is Petroski's book, The Pencil. ...

I know I read something of Petroski's some years ago. I think this may have been it. His The Book on the Bookshelf also sounds good.

ETA: Uncle Tungsten: Memories of a Chemical Boyhood by Oliver Sachs--this book is pure inspiration!

I've enjoyed others by Sachs. I'll add this to my mental list.

Any of McCullough's biographies, especially John Adams.

You might find something here:

http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000-senior.html

Thanks for these ideas, Readwithem. That list is full of great suggestions.

Thanks for all the titles!

Regards,

Kareni

Sounds like you would enjoy some of the Teaching Company series -- series of lectures on all kinds of things, from music to art to humanities to various sciences to math...

I've been tempted by those series more than a few times. If only there were more hours in the day!

... here are some non-fiction titles I can recommend:

- Through a Screen Darkly (Overstreet)

I'll admit that this sounded so intriguing when I read th Amazon reviews that I put a hold on it for me to read!

- The Mind's I: Fantasies and Reflections on Self and Soul (Hofstadter)

Hofstadter is a name I haven't seen in a while! I read Godel, Escher, Bach when it first came out.

- The Devil in the White City (Larson)

- essage in the Bottle; Lost in the Cosmos (Percy)

These last two sound good too.

Thanks for playing!

Regards,

Kareni

I enjoyed Atoms in the Family by L. Fermi (about her husband Enrico) and Marie Curie by Eve Curie.

These both sound good.

I just finished a book called The Gift of Pain, by Dr. Paul Brand and Philip Yancey. ... It has much to say about the psychology of pain, how pain is perceived in different cultures, compassion, and much more. It's not a heavy read, but it's fascinating. Highly recommended, especially if you have a teen who is medical/psychology/missions-oriented.

http://www.amazon.com/Gift-Pain-Paul-Brand/dp/0310221447/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211677535&sr=8-1

This does sound interesting. And I have to admit it's not a topic I would have thought of!

Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser, 1776 by McCullough, The Cross and the Switchblade by David Wilkerson, Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris

Thanks for these suggestions. Certainly the first one has received a lot of press recently. I think that I'm afraid to read it!

My son is reading the following non-fiction this summer. ...

Getting a Grip - clarity creativity and courage in a world gone mad

Hope's Edge (the new Diet for a Small Planet)

and a book about conflict resolution and mediation that combines global and personal methods and whose name I can't remember and its already packed so I can't check.[/Quote]

All of those titles sound intriguing, Nan. Please post the last title when the book is unpacked!

Thank you all!

Regards,

Kareni