Menu

Magic Jack phone or other affordable landline phone services?

We currently only use our cell phones because it seemed pointless to us to pay for a landline and a cell phone. However, we are seeing the benefits of having a landline phone again. We've seen the advertisements for Magic Jack phone and the price seems reasonable. Is anyone familiar with this service or another one like it that makes having a landline not so expensive? Thanks!

We have Ooma phone service and for the most part, we are VERY happy. We switched from Vonage about 2 years ago. Vonage was running $30/mo with taxes. Ooma was $199 for the box from Costco, but we only pay $11/year for taxes now.

We see very little difference between the services in terms of quality.

Ooma.com

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11646479&search=ooma&topnav=&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode%20matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=ooma&Ntt=ooma&No=0&Nty=1&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial

Dawn

We dropped our land line in April, and got a Google voice number. It rings on my cell phone, as well as through the computer when my G-mail account is open. Calls can be made out through the computer as well. No charge for calls within the U.S. No charge for the service. I love the way voice mail messages are transcribed and sent to my e-mail. You can also have them sent to your cell phone via SMS.

I also like being able to have a personal greeting for individuals, call screening, block nuisance #s... I could just go on and on.

It's free!

My uncle uses Magic Jack. I think it is fine except that they just give him a number and his area code is not in our area code which makes it a long distance call to call him. My dad doesn't have long distance so let me tell you that I haven't heard the end of it from my dad. Can't even call his brother who lives down the street. :tongue_smilie:

With most people having long distance on their phones I don't know if it would be a problem, but it is something that my dad finds frustrating. :D

We have Ooma phone service and for the most part, we are VERY happy. We switched from Vonage about 2 years ago. Vonage was running $30/mo with taxes. Ooma was $199 for the box from Costco, but we only pay $11/year for taxes now.

We see very little difference between the services in terms of quality.

Ooma.com

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11646479&search=ooma&topnav=&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode%20matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=ooma&Ntt=ooma&No=0&Nty=1&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial

Dawn

Yep, we have Ooma also and it seems to be working out well for us. Before that we had 8x8 for quite a while and we had issues with it off and on. We tried Magic Jack but did not care for it because the computer it is on has to be running all the time if you want your phone to work. Also, we put it on an older model computer and it was too slow to run it.

We dropped our land line in April, and got a Google voice number. It rings on my cell phone, as well as through the computer when my G-mail account is open. Calls can be made out through the computer as well. No charge for calls within the U.S. No charge for the service. I love the way voice mail messages are transcribed and sent to my e-mail. You can also have them sent to your cell phone via SMS.

I also like being able to have a personal greeting for individuals, call screening, block nuisance #s... I could just go on and on.

It's free!

Ok, call me dumb but I have no idea how this works. How do you talk on the phone through your computer? Who do you have your internet through for your computer? Right now we have Frontier, used to be Verizon. So our landline and internet are through Frontier. We would have to drop Frontier as our internet service provider if we dropped our landline. We don't use a cable service cuz we have Direct TV. What would we do for an ISP?

I hated Magic Jack! We used it to save $$, but changed back to AT & T. The hassles weren't worth it. I'm trying to remember all the things we didn't like (it's been a few years - so who knows, maybe it's better). But there was a delay on the phone that made it very aggravating and aggitating to have a conversation. It was also "staticky" , if I remember right. There were other issues that I can not remember now. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend it. We decided you get what you pay for.

We have Ooma and love it.

To use Voip (any phone service through the internet--Ooma, Magic Jack, Vonage...) you really should have some pretty fast internet or you get problems with static, cutting out, or sometimes delayed voice.

We have DSL through Qwest (8mbps I think) for $15 a month with nothing bundled with it. It was a special going on a couple of months ago. The phone companies don't like to sell you internet without phone, but they will. Sometimes you have to ask specifically.

I would never recommend qwest--their customer service is horrible. But I couldn't pass up the price. As soon as my trial period is over I'm switching back to cable internet.

Magic Jack was the worst phone system we've ever had. There was a delay so you would speak and then hear your echo. Half the time it would start to buzz in the middle of the phone call. My relatives refused to answer the phone if it was me after a while because of the horrible sound quality (not because it was me!). We got rid of it.

That is funny, we had 8x8 for a while too. I think we did a "pay for a whole year upfront" for the best deal. Of course, after I paid I freaked out wondering if they might go out of business like some other company called Sun something or other, and then I would be out of $$. Are they still in business?

Dawn

Yep, we have Ooma also and it seems to be working out well for us. Before that we had 8x8 for quite a while and we had issues with it off and on. We tried Magic Jack but did not care for it because the computer it is on has to be running all the time if you want your phone to work. Also, we put it on an older model computer and it was too slow to run it.

Magic Jack was the worst phone system we've ever had. There was a delay so you would speak and then hear your echo. Half the time it would start to buzz in the middle of the phone call. My relatives refused to answer the phone if it was me after a while because of the horrible sound quality (not because it was me!). We got rid of it.

That's what it was!!! I couldn't remember the other thing that Magic Jack did that we hated so much! It was that horrible ECHO!!! Ack!!!! :tongue_smilie:

I'm with you Jean. We ditched it too!