Menu

Being induced Wednesday

I'm being induced Wednesday. Dilated to a 2, no change in the last week. No anticipated change in the next.

When they induce, they start pitocin and break water at the same time -- has anyone else heard of this? I'm really scared of having my water broken at a dilation of 2! But she says they have a really low C-section rate with inductions of 2nd time moms (IE my first birth was vaginal-after-induction -- but the induction was done differently.)

We move on the 15th and really need this baby out before that.

I understand your anxiety about having the baby before moving. I'd be more afraid of the petocin then the breaking the water. Perhaps you could ask them to wait a few hours before starting the pit to see if your body will do anything on it's own. I had two induced by only breaking water with the understanding that we would begin pit if nothing was happening in six hours or so. Both times my body kicked right in. I was, however, dilated to a 4-5 already. I don't think it would hurt to ask if they could wait and see for you. Good luck!

I've never had them break my water right when starting the pitocin. I've been induced with both of my babies. They always have me come in the night before and they put something on my cervix to cause it to "ripen." And it does that all night. Early the next morning, around 7 or 8, they begin the pitocin. After several hours, they broke my water with baby #2....I don't remember them breaking my water with baby #1.

I've never had them break my water right when starting the pitocin. I've been induced with both of my babies. They always have me come in the night before and they put something on my cervix to cause it to "ripen." And it does that all night. Early the next morning, around 7 or 8, they begin the pitocin. After several hours, they broke my water with baby #2....I don't remember them breaking my water with baby #1.

This is pretty much how my induction went with DS #1 (except that my water broke on my own before they came back to discuss breaking it)

Doctor says the gel to ripen is not necessary because I am already dilated to a 2.

With DS #1, they DID turn off the pitocin after a time to see if my body would pick up labor on its own (this was after my water broke) -- and it didn't. They had to restart pitocin to get my labor to continue.

They did induction that way with Diva. I wasn't dialated at all when I went in...in fact, when I think about it, they had to run the pitocin for at least an hour b/c they weren't able to break my water the first time.

She was a VBAC.

They did induction that way with Diva. I wasn't dialated at all when I went in...in fact, when I think about it, they had to run the pitocin for at least an hour b/c they weren't able to break my water the first time.

She was a VBAC.

So it was successful? That's good to hear!

I would push for them to delay the pitocin by several hours and see if labor kicked in on it's own after they broke my water. It's normal to be dilated for weeks before delivery with no change though. Is there a reason that no change is expected during the next week? I do understand being anxious to get baby out, especially with the upcoming move, but since your due date hasn't even come yet it's very possible that you would go into labor within the next week. Just a thought.

I'm curious why you would say there is no anticipated change in the next week? That is completely impossible to predict and if your doctor is suggesting that there's some way they can tell that, then I would find their knowledge of birth suspect. (Sorry if that sounds harsh... I'm just not sure how else to say it.)

Just yesterday my midwife and I were discussing how quickly a woman can go from one state to another. She said if things are really ripe then it can be a good indication that labour is coming soon, but she has also had women go from a very hard cervix with little dilation to giving birth *within hours*. So you just can't tell, really, and at this point you have a whole week for your body to do what it's meant to do!

Have you considered trying any natural induction methods between now and next week? Intercourse and nipple stimulation are two common recommendations. You might also try homeopathics, alternating Cimicifuga and Caulophyllum. (One works to strengthen contractions and the other works to ripen the cervix... I can't recall which is which at the moment, and my notes are in the car.) There's also red raspberry leaf tea and evening primrose oil supplements.

Sending easy birthing vibes your way! I hope your body cooperates and you go into labour without needing to worry about either of those interventions.

I'm the weirdo in the bunch, but I would ask for pit first, and water breaking later. IF for some reason the induction doesn't take, you can always go home and try again if your water is intact. But once they break your water you are on the 24 hour clock, and if nothing happens in that time you may end up with a section. Whatever you do, just remember YOU are in charge. The doctors and nurses can SUGGEST whatever they want, but its your body and your baby. You will be fine!

Yep.

I ran into problems delivering her, but nothing to do with the induction. She had a massive head, and wouldn't 'pop up' out of my pelvis, so they used forcepts. *shudder*

Ouch. But actually, that could very well have been related to the induction methods used. Induced labours can cause more issues with presentation, leading to more intervention.

I would push for them to delay the pitocin by several hours and see if labor kicked in on it's own after they broke my water. It's normal to be dilated for weeks before delivery with no change though. Is there a reason that no change is expected during the next week? I do understand being anxious to get baby out, especially with the upcoming move, but since your due date hasn't even come yet it's very possible that you would go into labor within the next week. Just a thought.

Due date is tomorrow. I have no history of going into labor on my own. Nothing the doctor said. Its family history and womanly intuition telling me this, that's all. I would LOVE to be wrong and go into labor on my own this weekend. I'd feel ever so much better about that. But my gut says no.

My sister never went into labor with her first -- finally ended up being induced at 42w 3d and ended up with a C-section after 24-ish hours of labor when her 10lb 13 oz baby girl never dropped. She had repeat C-sections with the next two.

DS was 8lbs 15 oz born vaginally at 39w6d. When they removed the pitocin as a trial, my body never picked up and "went into labor" on its own.

I was a month overdue for my mom (Due Aug 6th, born Sept 4th -- they used to let you go a long time before going into labor) A big baby, though not over 10 pounds in size.

And I know my mom was 11 pounds at birth. Though no details of how far overdue/etc. she might have been.

DS was 8lbs 15 oz born vaginally at 39w6d. When they removed the pitocin as a trial, my body never picked up and "went into labor" on its own.

:001_huh: The average first time birthing woman goes into labor at 41w1d. You don't have a history of "not going into labor" if you were induced before your body even had a chance to start. A baby isn't overdue until they hit 42w. You are obviously just as free as anyone else to do what you want, but it is medically impossible for the doctor to know that there will be no change over the next week, or that you are unable to go into labor on your own. What is your doctor's actual statistic on c-sections?

I would NOT allow them to break the water if the baby's head isn't engaged. Allowing them to do so, at 2cm, dramatically increases the risk of cord prolapse, a very serious complication. Water should never be broken before the head is engaged well. Also, breaking the water puts you "on the clock", so if the pit doesn't work as fast as they like you are automatically a surgical birth. Also, given that you are not in labor yet the baby may not be in the very best position for birth yet, and breaking the water takes away the "wiggle room" the baby has to squirm and rotate into position. And of course, increases the chance of infection and fetal distress from pinching the cord.

The success of an induction is best predicted by something called the Bishop's score. Ask what yours is. (it doesn't sound high).

And I hate to say this, and pull the sick baby card, but as stressful as giving birth in a new city would be, having a baby in the NICU while in the midst of a move, because you forced labor before the baby was ready, would be far worse.

Also, being induced does greatly increase your risk of c-section, which would be awful in the middle of a move, if it can be avoided. My good friend felt sure her induction would be fine, as she had been induced with her first and it went great. But this time the pitocin didn't work, and she ended up with a c-section. She tells everyone she can not to do it now.

If you MUST induce, or even if you don't, lol, evening primrose oil, inserted vaginally, will start softening your cervix to help get it ready for labor.

Refusing to be induced also can lead to C-sections (My sister refused to be induced -- went to the very limit her doctor would allow and ended up with a C-section.) so it seems there are risks each way.

I was induced 3 weeks before date (emergency) and I was not even 2cm. They began with Pitocin and at a point a little later (after I was in labor), they broke the membranes. This worked out fine for me. I'm sure it doesn't work out fine for everyone, but personally, I did have to wonder why everyone always talked as though the worst thing in the world would be an early induction. I did not even think it was especially painful, but maybe I'm just a super-professional hypnobirther! :D

That ds was my longest labor, but that is a relative term, as he was born in 9 hours.

I would NOT allow them to break the water if the baby's head isn't engaged. Allowing them to do so, at 2cm, dramatically increases the risk of cord prolapse, a very serious complication. Water should never be broken before the head is engaged well. Also, breaking the water puts you "on the clock", so if the pit doesn't work as fast as they like you are automatically a surgical birth. Also, given that you are not in labor yet the baby may not be in the very best position for birth yet, and breaking the water takes away the "wiggle room" the baby has to squirm and rotate into position. And of course, increases the chance of infection and fetal distress from pinching the cord.

Yes, this is wise advice. For us it was a matter of possible life or death to the baby and time was of the essence. Breaking water does put you on the clock and ups the c-section risk for sure.

Refusing to be induced also can lead to C-sections (My sister refused to be induced -- went to the very limit her doctor would allow and ended up with a C-section.) so it seems there are risks each way.

Didn't you say she was induced, and then had a c-section? If she was induced at 42w when baby wasn't engaged and they did a c-section, why would you assume that being induced at 40w wouldn't lead to a c-section?

Well...at that point the other option is changing doctors, lol, unless BPP showed baby wasn't doing well. But yes, sometimes the choice is induction or c-section, for health reasons. We aren't talking about that here. We are talking about convenience reasons. Scheduling an elective, non medically needed induction around a move date.

Very little sensation in anything.

It's a family trait, I nearly gave birth in a car and completely unaware of it once..same thing with my sisters, my mother, etc.

I had an audience of 17 medical staff in the room to witness it, it's rather rare I hear to birth this way.

I could have been more stressed filing my fingernails..

My last daughter was a completely planned as an induction, I don't recall any significant dilation before going in.

My mother used to joke that the family did the "drop em in the field" and keep on plowing.

Edited by one*mom