Menu

Dining in Colonial Williamsburg?

I've been looking through the taverns in Colonial Williamsburg with the idea that we'd have dinner in one of them once - but then I saw the menu prices :eek:.

We'll have 10 in our group (4 of children's menu age) and one meal would set us back, oh, probably $250+.

So, while it would be fun, we may need to scrap that idea. Any other fun ideas for eating? I assume we'll be there at least one full day, so we'll need to have lunch and dinner. We could bring a picnic for one meal if that's an option. Or, if you really think a tavern meal would completely be worth the effort, we'll budget it in.

We'll also be visiting Jamestown and Yorktown, if you have any advice for those areas as well.

Thanks! We are getting excited for our trip!

I've been looking through the taverns in Colonial Williamsburg with the idea that we'd have dinner in one of them once - but then I saw the menu prices :eek:.

We'll have 10 in our group (4 of children's menu age) and one meal would set us back, oh, probably $250+.

We visited Col. Williamsburg in the spring of this year and with one picky eater child and my eating style (I eat light), I couldn't see the expense. I've heard both sides: it's a great experience vs. what a sham.

I think given that you have so many kids and are looking at a bill of $250 -- that you'll feel ripped off at the end of it all.

To keep their very worthwhile enterprise going, CW is overcharging on food. No doubt about it.

I'd vote for taking carriage rides with the horses if you want to have a real yesteryear experience. You need reservations. We didn't spring for it and now I regret it.

One AWESOME restaurant that isn't colonial at all, but is super good:

Sal's by Victor

1242 Richmond Road (Rt 60), Williamsburg, VA 757-220-2641

I can't say enough about Sal's. We ordered out and picked up a pizza for our room and dh also snagged dessert. The tiramisu was incredible. Afterwards I'd wish we'd eaten in Sal's because I stuck my head in and they had a great family atmosphere. It's close to CW, but not inside the historical neighborhoods.

But note that there are two Sal's in Williamsburg, both owned by different people. The other one might be fine, but we loved Sal's by Victor.

Alley

Stephano's Pizzaria on Henry St. (relatively inexpensive, not glamorous at all)

The Peanut Shoppe, Prince George Street (again, inexpensive, absolutely not glamorous) The sandwich counter is in the back of the store and there are only two tables so you'd have to take your food and eat on the park benches at Merchant Square.

The Cheese Shop is ok - I think their prices are higher than the Peanut Shoppe and the lines are ridiculous.

There is a tavern (Chowning's, I think) that offers BBQ sandwiches and sodas around back. There are picnic style tables and it is all under a green arbor of sorts. The food is still not what I'd consider cheap, but it is cheaper than eating inside the actual tavern and when you're hot, tired and hungry it's nice not to have to walk all the way into Merchant's Square to eat. Also, you'd get to eat at an actual tavern. The sandwiches are huge, so smaller chidren could share perhaps.

Also, you can buy a large insulated plastic tumbler for $10 with soda at the food stand on the Palace Green and behind Sheild's Tavern on Duke of Gloucester Street. You get free refills through the end of 2011.

ETA: Oh, and for a snack you could get the gingerbread cookies at the Raleigh Tavern Bakery.

Also, you can buy a large insulated plastic tumbler for $10 with soda at the food stand on the Palace Green and behind Sheild's Tavern on Duke of Gloucester Street. You get free refills through the end of 2011.

Wonderful ideas - plus, a friend recently returned from CW, and has lent us her 4 "free refill" tumblers to bring on our trip. She actually called them to make sure she could pass them on to a friend to use. :hurray:

Do the carriage rides involve a guided tour (someone telling stories and/or pointing out details) - or are they just the ride?

Wonderful ideas - plus, a friend recently returned from CW, and has lent us her 4 "free refill" tumblers to bring on our trip. She actually called them to make sure she could pass them on to a friend to use. :hurray:

Do the carriage rides involve a guided tour (someone telling stories and/or pointing out details) - or are they just the ride?

I don't know what the carriage ride includes - it was too expensive for us, lol. Maybe someone else here knows.

We did a carriage ride last year; the open carriages are more expensive than the closed ones, so ask about that when you book the ride. It was not a guided tour, just a ride around the city. I can't remember, but the driver might have pointed out a couple of particularly interesting sites. Kinda pricey for what it was, IMO, but the kids enjoyed it, and since it was the second year in a row we'd been to CW, this was the one thing that they really wanted to do.

As for dining, the King's Arms Tavern is nice, but yes, very expensive. We did lunch at Chowning's last year, and while it still wasn't inexpensive, it was more reasonable than dinner and did still give us the tavern experience.

Another vote for Sal's by Victor. It is absolutely delicious! We usually eat dinner there after visiting the Colonial area.

Last year we tried The Cheese Shop and it was really good. We have eaten at King's Arms Tavern several times, but only during lunch. It was a good experience and the price wasn't bad. We've also had Chowning's and it was okay. It seems like I remember having something called bubble and squeak. I really like the peanut soup at King's Arms. Someone mentioned The Raleigh Tavern and that is a great spot for a snack and a cold root beer or ginger ale. Their Sally Lund bread is delicious as well. Oh yeah, their cheesecake is also.

We have done the carriage ride twice. It was not guided and it is pricey. We enjoyed it, but I think I liked the ghost tour more!

They have great prices during homeschool days.

Have fun!