Menu

My kids do not like Story of the World :(

springmama

I'm not sure why, but they don't seem to enjoy it very much. They do enjoy it when I paraphrase after reading. It is almost as if their brains just turn off when I begin reading. They retain bits and pieces and put the pieces back together all wrong. For instance, after reading SOTW 3, ch 3, they told me that King James was arrested for trying to blow up a building....

huh???

I am not quite sure what to do. I have been supplementing with other books and also reading CHOW to them, so they do get the gist of some of the history I'm trying to teach, but SOTW is just not working out.

I hate to shelve it completely. Do you think it's a waste of time to keep reading it daily even though they get nothing from it?

I thought about buying the audio book and just having them listen to that in the car whenever we happen to be in the car. Meanwhile, I can supplement with easy readers, CHOW, and lower level living books. Maybe someday they'll catch up to SOTW?

Hmmm, I think I would keep going but take it slowly and after every section, read some supplimentary books to really solidify the facts/story presented. We are just starting SOTW 1 and so I hope i don't run into the same issue (I am doing SOTW 1 with a K'er and 2nd grader).

Have you done 1&2 already?

Yep, we've done the other two books and it was just as painful.

This year I have been accumulating lots more living books and my daughter is old enough to have assigned reading, so the books she is reading do pertain to the time period.

However, getting them to know basic facts is going to be hard. In CHOW, we read the chapter about King James. The ONLY thing they learned was that he dubbed his favorite cut of meat "Sir Loin". We had steak that night and I told them it was a sirloin steak and they giggled all through dinner.

But that was it, lol.

Oh, and they liked learning about the black death last year, lol.

Ugh......

Are there other world history books that we could read as supplements? Maybe I can add those too.

Given their ages, I have some ideas to toss around...

I don't think it has anything to do with SOTW, as much as it has to do with narration skills and all of that. Now, granted I think they are probably a little on the young side for volume 3 of SOTW. but from the limited info you shared, I think it's something else going on....

Work on smaller passages to narrate, whether it is from SOTW or anything else.

Teach from SOTW -- help improve their listening skills by teaching from the book instead of just reading out loud. You, as teacher, write on a dry erase board key names as you read about the person. Draw the story. Or have stuffed animals or lego bricks or something to be each character.

Some children, no matter what the story is, need visual helps to retain information.

Another example, you could read that section on Guy Fawkes in the King James chapter, and assign your children or stuffed animals to the roles in the story. You read the story once. Have them listen for their parts..... Then, read it again while they act the story. You can take a role as well, or just be narrator. add in sound effects to the story. You got Guy, and you got Kind and parliament building... Have one child on one side of the table pretend to dig his way to the other side of the table from "underground tunnels". Have someone take a dual role -- be the unknown person who catches Guy in the tunnel with the matches. stuff like that. You might have to cue them, and direct them... but it's a story --- have them act it and tell it again.

I think once you get the kids involved in a multisensory fashion and using more than just sit, listen, and repeat..... they might retain more. (ETA: just like they giggled at supper when you brought up sirloin)

-crystal

Thank you! This is very helpful. I wonder if there is a curriculum that includes ideas such as this.

I don't think it has anything to do with SOTW, as much as it has to do with narration skills and all of that. Now, granted I think they are probably a little on the young side for volume 3 of SOTW. but from the limited info you shared, I think it's something else going on....

Teach from SOTW -- help improve their listening skills by teaching from the book instead of just reading out loud. You, as teacher, write on a dry erase board key names as you read about the person. Draw the story. Or have stuffed animals or lego bricks or something to be each character.

Some children, no matter what the story is, need visual helps to retain information.

Another example, you could read that section on Guy Fawkes in the King James chapter, and assign your children or stuffed animals to the roles in the story. You read the story once. Have them listen for their parts..... Then, read it again while they act the story. You can take a role as well, or just be narrator. add in sound effects to the story. You got Guy, and you got Kind and parliament building... Have one child on one side of the table pretend to dig his way to the other side of the table from "underground tunnels". Have someone take a dual role -- be the unknown person who catches Guy in the tunnel with the matches. stuff like that. You might have to cue them, and direct them... but it's a story --- have them act it and tell it again.

I think once you get the kids involved in a multisensory fashion and using more than just sit, listen, and repeat..... they might retain more. (ETA: just like they giggled at supper when you brought up sirloin)

-crystal

-crystal

:iagree:With all of what Crystal said. We did SOTW3 this past year. My ds10 did GREAT with it (he's above average in everything), my dd8/9 just barely was hanging in there. I would consistently stop and explain things as we read. Sometimes she listened to the CD and then I read it again to her. It helped when she could color on the coloring sheet (it gave her a visual). I need to remember Crystal's ideas as I am going to try SOTW4 with her this next year. We added lots of extra reading (picture books... it's easy with the American history parts) and there were several times I drew things out on the white board to explain. Heh, heh...in this blog post is a diagram of the Henry the 6th chapter!

FWIW... I don't expect my kids to remember everything. I will be happy if in Logic stage, they read something and a little (even if it's dim!) lightbulb goes on in the back of their heads that they've heard something about this before. I'm guessing when it comes around again, they'll remember more than I think they will. My oldest is hitting logic stage this year... I'm anxious to see how much he remembers about the ancients we studied 3 years ago! :001_smile:

My son was not excited about SOTW until I for out the lapbook to make. We read discussed. Looked at the lapbook parts and put it all together. Now he wants to do history everyday. DH is going to help me with and archeological dig in the backyard this weekend.

Mine is young, so I ask him questions mid-story to keep him interested.

My son didn't care for SOTW 1 either. We ditched it and now we're using K12 2nd grade history, lots of documentaries, picture books, and the occasional National Geograhic or Smithsonian article. K12's scope and sequence, even some of it's content, is quite similar to SOTW, but far more engaging for my ds.

Thank you! This is very helpful. I wonder if there is a curriculum that includes ideas such as this.

Yes. Any program that expects Narration includes those ideas. They might not provide what I just wrote "act the story"... but if they say we use Charlotte Mason ideas, and we expect you are using Narration with your child.... then, that is the expectation.

so toward that end, it is not about "which curriculum". It's more of where are some website pointers, a book out there that just says "I need a list to remind me what to do to narrate".

well.. .ok. want some links?

You can easily just print Narration Tips from any source and apply it to whatever book, living book, picture book, SOTW, CHOW, MOH, etc etc etc...

Here is a site to bookmark (or favorite) or print them

http://www.squidoo.com/narration

http://simplycharlottemason.com/timesavers/narration/

and of course, the classic Narration Cube

http://www.pennygardner.com/narrationcube.html

That's plenty to get started. There are lots out there, but no need to overwhelm you. That will be too much as is!

Use it for picture books, living books, textbooks, etc. Doesn't matter which author, or curriculum.

Another benefit in narration - you are sneaking in language arts, public speaking, and "pre writing" lessons all at the same time.

-crystal

My son didn't care for SOTW 1 either. We ditched it and now we're using K12 2nd grade history, lots of documentaries, picture books, and the occasional National Geograhic or Smithsonian article. K12's scope and sequence, even some of it's content, is quite similar to SOTW, but far more engaging for my ds.

I posted a similar thread a week or so ago about my middle daughter not enjoying SOTW, and we will likely use K12, too. We'll be using other materials that don't follow TWTM's history recommendations for a bit, then we'll go into K12 in a few months.

How would one see this curriculum? Is it online only?

I TOTALLY need help in the Narration department and need to start researching this more. Thanks Crystal for the links.

One suggestion would be to try the CD's from the LIbrary and see if Jim Weiss is engaging for them. My kids are asking to hear the STOW1 in the car.

My dd8 did not like it when we did it last year. I thought it was over her head and I didnt feel like she was retaining at all. We switched to listening to the audios and doing the map and the coloring pages. She couldnt even answer the discussion questions so we just discussed them. I thought it was a bust until she asked to listen to the CD's again this summer and then remembered a bunch of stuff from it :) She got excited about the things she remembered and has asked to listen to the CD's again. My 5YO is listening in and asking questions, so I say hang in there!

I was totally skeptical, but now I see the whole "hanging info on pegs" thing and it works!

I'd recommend the CD's to listen to in the car....when I was doing the reading aloud, DS would listen, but it just wasn't really enjoyable for either of us. The CD's are read by Jim Weiss and his style seems to click well with kids - DS loves listening to the CD's in the car whenever we're out and about and asks to listen to them!

We actually do SOTW differently than suggested - we first do a listen through the entire story before digging into the activities, projects, crafts and books we'll read to round out the lessons.

Yup. All the reading is online. Ds loves anything tech-y, so that helps. Also several of the lessons have engaging pictures, short video clips, online activities (like "visiting" the Hagia Sophia), audio stories, or interactive games that help them review past lessons. Review questions are included in each lesson, as is a "requirement" for narration (which we sometimes skip). Each lesson also includes several optional activities, which require no prep whatsoever. I let ds choose from the options or sometimes we just do extra reading, documentary viewing, etc.

I printed out the entire lesson list, gathered supplementary resources, planned a few major projects and field trips, and now we just log-on and go. :001_smile: I have to say ds has retained FAR more history with this approach than he did with SOTW. And he loves it.:D

Edited to add: Sorry, I shouldn't post before coffee. Somehow I read your question to ask "how would one use this curriculum?"

No, I thank you for explaining this, I appreciate it.

It's so interesting how kids take to programs so differently. My boys LOVE SOTW so far. We just started the Ancients together. I think the trick is keeping it fun and engaging. It's easy to fall into creating a dry atmosphere. When I read, I stop frequently to discuss (quickly). You can't read the entire thing and expect them to retain or engage. Stop at interesting points and burst out with, wow, what do you think about that!? Then move on. Afterwards, discuss, have them write narrate a few sentences, read them aloud, discuss their thoughts and then hit up your supplemental materials. We use Kingfisher and Usborne. They read a little of those encyclopedias and then we do an art project together, mapwork and timeline. I also include documentaries to watch. We do one hour, 3x a week. Anyway, we love it and make it fun.

One more thing occured to me, and then I'll end my K12 sales pitch. :tongue_smilie: I really like their maps. The graphics are well-done and appealing, and the map activities are intelligent—quite beyond the typical find and color.

It really does look great but the price was a surprise! K12 is free in our state but I do not want to have to do all of their curriculum. Is the price really 30.00 per month per child for the one subject of History?

TIA :)

I thought about buying the audio book and just having them listen to that in the car whenever we happen to be in the car. Meanwhile, I can supplement with easy readers, CHOW, and lower level living books. Maybe someday they'll catch up to SOTW?

My kids love the audio and retain tons. Sometimes they don't want me to turn off the car when there's an exciting part. We started with book one and have listened to 1-3 several times through now in the car.

It really does look great but the price was a surprise! K12 is free in our state but I do not want to have to do all of their curriculum. Is the price really 30.00 per month per child for the one subject of History?

TIA :)

Yup. This is what I pay to have an easy-on-mom history program that ds loves. :tongue_smilie: We accelerate the lessons (the cost is a strong incentive here), and it looks like we are going to complete K12's 2nd grade history (covering Rome, the Byzantine Empire, Islam and the Middle Ages) in about 4 months. We're more than halfway through now. The rest of this academic year, we'll do American history and geography, following the Core Knowledge scope and sequence for the most part.

It really is expensive. All I can say is that it has been worth the money for us.:001_smile:

I don't have too much to add to what's been said. We just began SOTW I. Just wanted to say the techniques mentioned (having them act out the story with dolls/action figures, listen to the audio, do the projects, supplemental readings, websites) are what have gotten my kids totally engaged. I was so surprised that my 5 year old became as interested as she did. Probably her least favorite part is when I read the book aloud, and she probably retains only a fraction of it, but by the time we do a project or a coloring page, a map, watch a movie, or whatever, she totally gets it and can explain to me what she has learned.

Even my 2.5 year old now knows what the Nile River, pyramids and mummies are. :lol: I never expected that, he is just picking it up from hanging around with us while we do SOTW stuff.

Yup. This is what I pay to have an easy-on-mom history program that ds loves. :tongue_smilie: We accelerate the lessons (the cost is a strong incentive here), and it looks like we are going to complete K12's 2nd grade history (covering Rome, the Byzantine Empire, Islam and the Middle Ages) in about 4 months. We're more than halfway through now. The rest of this academic year, we'll do American history and geography, following the Core Knowledge scope and sequence for the most part.

It really is expensive. All I can say is that it has been worth the money for us.:001_smile:

That isn't so bad if you can do it in 4mos and then also get in some US History :) Thanks for all of the info :)