Menu

I still can't pick a Latin ... questions inside

ChrissySC

I spent years and years with French. So ....

Will a classical Latin resource be closer to "science"?

Is there a predominately independent program? Or one that could be taught one day a week and worked on later by the child?

Can you include the resources, or items, that you used?

One of the things that has attracted my daughter is the ability to use what she will learn - like reading Green Eggs and Ham in Latin (but I assume this is not a classic version, right?) What do you get for your children to practice reading?

Confused? I am. I had hoped to avoid this, but she read the WTM board! Gah! As if! :lol:

I see everyone is like me. I read the recent Latin discussions too.

I do not want a fluff program, but pronounciation and reading ability are both important to me. A certain amount of grammar is necessary. However, this is not why we want Latin.

And yes, I want my child to be able to practice with translated books, such as Dr. Suess.

I know that there is a difference between classical and ecclesiastical Latin, but I want whichever is closest to science.

Anyone?

Two options that come to mind:

Latin for Children + readers of your choice and a Latin dictionary.

Visual Latin + Getting Started with Latin + readers of your choice and a Latin dictionary.

Latin for Children is the more traditional choice, and has a DVD and chant CD available. There isn't much translation included in this program, so that would mostly be whatever books you bought.

Visual Latin are DVDs (that my boys LOVE) and there are 30 lessons on each DVD, and 30 printable worksheets. There is a good mix of grammar and translation, but the exercises are short. Getting Started with Latin introduces 1 word or concept a day, and then the student translates 10 sentences. My 4th grader will be doing this combination this year, and LfC next year.

When you say science here, do you mean you want a Latin program that familiarizes your child with the parts of modern, scientific language that are derived from Latin? Or do you mean you mean to teach Latin as it was used when it was the language of science itself (what's referred to as Neo-Latin)?

If the former, there are books that teach just the Latin and Greek roots of English words, which doesn't have all the benefits of a full course of language study, but is interesting in itself and would no doubt help with standardized tests and with familiarity in general with words that often turn up in the technical lexicons of scientific disciplines.

If the latter, there really isn't a Neo-Latin study program that I know of, but studying the classical model of Latin will be more useful for whatever period of the language you then go on to study. I think of it as maximizing backwards compatibility.

When you say science here, do you mean you want a Latin program that familiarizes your child with the parts of modern, scientific language that are derived from Latin? Or do you mean you mean to teach Latin as it was used when it was the language of science itself (what's referred to as Neo-Latin)?

If the former, there are books that teach just the Latin and Greek roots of English words, which doesn't have all the benefits of a full course of language study, but is interesting in itself and would no doubt help with standardized tests and with familiarity in general with words that often turn up in the technical lexicons of scientific disciplines.

If the latter, there really isn't a Neo-Latin study program that I know of, but studying the classical model of Latin will be more useful for whatever period of the language you then go on to study. I think of it as maximizing backwards compatibility.

As dd is only 10, what she has communicated to me is the desire to learn Latin as it would apply to scientific language today. I would, however, enjoy a neo-Latin study from what you have described.

I think what it comes down to is a classical Latin approach.

I was looking at the resources mentioned by the poster above. I am sure that I will be back with some minor questions, but from the both of you would those items in the previous post be considered classical?

I really like the DVD idea (Visual Latin) .... I know. Mom is such a slacker! I want her to control how fast she proceeds with this. I can pick it up in the evenings or on the weekend.

I truly like the idea of combining resources too. (Using Getting Started with Latin for example)

TIA for all of your comments and suggestions!

We use Latina Christian here. It is not secular, and ecclesiastical pronunciation. However I *believe* the writing is the same, and that it is not very difficult to transition to classical pronunciation if you become proficient in Latin. My ds was a little to young to start last year, so we will do it again this year. The 10 lessons we did were great which is why I am not switching, I think it was his readiness rather than the program.

I spent about 3 min a week correcting from the teacher's manual, then every 5 weeks would be about 20 min of my time for review. From the mom point it was my easiest subject. This is how we did it.

Day 1 He watched the DVD by himself

Day 2 He filled in as much of the workbook as he could from memory, and went over flashcards

Day 3 He watched the DVD with the workbook and completed the pages. I corrected

Day 4 He went over corrections and did reviews. If it was a review week I gave him the quiz.

I like the program for a lot of reasons

It is easy for me

there is a clear way of progression that does not involve me trying to learn Latin. (first form)

The have free supplemental worksheets on the website and other resources there like word games in Latin.

I hope that helps.

Nicole

We use Latina Christian here. It is not secular, and ecclesiastical pronunciation. However I *believe* the writing is the same, and that it is not very difficult to transition to classical pronunciation if you become proficient in Latin. My ds was a little to young to start last year, so we will do it again this year. The 10 lessons we did were great which is why I am not switching, I think it was his readiness rather than the program.

I spent about 3 min a week correcting from the teacher's manual, then every 5 weeks would be about 20 min of my time for review. From the mom point it was my easiest subject. This is how we did it.

Day 1 He watched the DVD by himself

Day 2 He filled in as much of the workbook as he could from memory, and went over flashcards

Day 3 He watched the DVD with the workbook and completed the pages. I corrected

Day 4 He went over corrections and did reviews. If it was a review week I gave him the quiz.

I like the program for a lot of reasons

It is easy for me

there is a clear way of progression that does not involve me trying to learn Latin. (first form)

The have free supplemental worksheets on the website and other resources there like word games in Latin.

I hope that helps.

Nicole

Any translation?

My dd started with GSWL and is now using Henle. Both have lots of translation.

I think independence level may have more to do with the age/child than the program. GSWL can be entirely independent, though that's just an introduction. I think Latin is better as a daily, rather than weekly, event. Just like math, it might help for you to go over the lesson with your child, and then leave her to try the exercises by herself.

So, I got my RR book out again, LOL

Latin for Children + readers of your choice and a Latin dictionary.

Visual Latin + Getting Started with Latin + readers of your choice and a Latin dictionary.

I read some more .... If I wanted to work with these three resources, how would you start?

I tend to lean towards GSWL(translation) and LFC (readers and DVD lessons).

I am sorry to be so in need. I just need to wrap this up and get it ordered. We start reviewing grammar and math in 10 days. Full onset of school is 9/1. *sigh*

I've only researched Latin and have no real-life experience but if my kids were your dd's age - I would think that Latin For Children would be ideal. It has the classical pronunciation and appears to be pretty rigorous on its own. You could always get GSWL when you complete LFC A.

I think Galore Park Latin Prep looks like loads of fun - purchased here: http://www.horriblebooks.com/galoreparkbooklist.htm

Sample Pages found here: http://www.galorepark.com/product/parents/127/latin-prep-book-1.html but this is for the older child. Something to consider after LFC.

Either way, I think I would start with LFC A - you can always move on to Lively Latin or Visual Latin or whatever you want. LFC seems to be a good fit with a child who knows a decent amount of grammar (having completed R&S 3? - that would meet the criteria). It is fairly rigorous and will get her started! Then you could move on to B and C or consider LL or something else as she gets older.

I personally just purchased Sing Song Latin and Minimus in an effort to just whet their appetites for Latin. Next year we will probably start with LFC A.

I continued researching, and I think that you are right. I thank you for your help!

This is what I will use. She is mid-way through RS4, and moving quickly. This would serve to provide grammatical enrichment, cover pronounciation, and provide reading/translation to a certain extent.

It meets what I want. :) Anyone have comments? Did I determine or infer something incorrectly?

I think Galore Park Latin Prep looks like loads of fun - purchased here: http://www.horriblebooks.com/galoreparkbooklist.htm

Sample Pages found here: http://www.galorepark.com/product/parents/127/latin-prep-book-1.html but this is for the older child. Something to consider after LFC.

Latin Prep is designed for about age nine/ten and up: 'Year 5' is the age equivalent of US fourth grade. I used it with both my children (slowly) from age nine. Hobbes' school starts it at age ten. It may not be what the OP is looking for, but....

Laura

Latin Prep is designed for about age nine/ten and up: 'Year 5' is the age equivalent of US fourth grade. I used it with both my children (slowly) from age nine. Hobbes' school starts it at age ten. It may not be what the OP is looking for, but....

Laura

Thank you Laura, I was having a hard time understanding age "readiness". According to the Galore Park website it was under the 11-13 categorization. Either way, I'm sure you can adjust the speed if it is too rigorous!

Thank you Laura, I was having a hard time understanding age "readiness". According to the Galore Park website it was under the 11-13 categorization. Either way, I'm sure you can adjust the speed if it is too rigorous!

LP starts from about age 10 but goes up to age 13 or so. For future reference, to get from UK 'years' to US grades, you subtract one. So year 1 is K, year 2 is first grade, etc.

Laura

I am using LfC with my daughter, but Latin Alive for me...that allowed me to not purchase the DVDs for LfC. Latin Alive is great! It explains things really clearly, it may be worth buying ahead if you decided to go with LfC, the DVDs are excellent and the book has charts that are a great overview of how Latin works.

As dd is only 10, what she has communicated to me is the desire to learn Latin as it would apply to scientific language today. I would, however, enjoy a neo-Latin study from what you have described.

Perhaps, if that if the end goal, a root study would be appropriate?

English from the Roots up to start? Just a thought.