Menu

Do you think CLE Math can be used secularly? opinions please?

babygemma

In the Math, yes. My daughter is in the middle of Math 100 and the only thing that might have anything religious sounding would be the word problems, which you read to your child and is only 2-3 sentences long. Very easily made secular.

We homeschool secularly (I am not a Christian) and use CLE Math. After trying several different programs with my kids, I finally caved and bought CLE. It actually works for them. It's exactly what they needed.

As for what religion it contains...there are bible verses sprinkled here and there. They are easily ignored though as they have more to do with the theme of each book than with the actual math. I'm not even sure my kids notice it is there.

Also, some of the word problems are of a religious nature. Most are just things like "Preacher Bob passed out x number of Bibles during Sunday School" or "What was the average church attendance during the month of August?". Those things don't bother me at all.

I know definitely in Level 600 I had to cross off a problem here and there when the question had you read a bible passage to get information for a math problem. We've used Levels 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 and I only remember those types of problems being in 600. They also had a chapter on tithing in level 600, but I had my son do it because it was a good lesson on percentages. I used it as an opportunity to explain different beliefs.

YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!

We are not Christian and we LOVE CLE!!!!

The language arts, and definitely reading, was too religious for us.

My girls know this is a Mennonite curriculum and when it does come up, I use it as a wonderful opportunity to learn.

Edited by natnclay