Menu

Playdough/Fun Dough Recipe Without Salt

You can make a non-newtonian fluid with cornstarch and water (or any other liquid) 3 parts CS to 2 parts liquid, stir together. It's neat stuff, pull slow and it stretches, pull fast and it breaks.

I'm :bigear: for a real dough recipe.

If you can deal with brown playdough, equal parts of smooth peanut butter and milk powder. I'm finally branching out into other recipes now the toddler is inclined to play with, not just eat it. :rolleyes: Mary Ann Kohl's book, Mudworks, has a good collection recipes.

Rosie

I'm curious - why no salt? It's the cheapest ingredient!

I can't stand the way they feel :) They just aren't as nice to play with, in my opinion. And no, I probably won't even be there to play.... I'm just weird that way; I like to make it so that I WOULD like to play with it... if it ever happens :)

Is it the graininess of the salt that you don't like? If that's the case I've used a recipe before that was cooked so the salt was disolved and couldn't be felt. I think I colored it with Kool-aid so it smelled nice too. I can't remember where I got the recipe though:001_unsure:

I agree. If you don't like the graininess, try the cooked recipes w/cream of tartar. Very soft and smooth!

The cooked playdough we use in preschool (and I use at home) is very soft and smooth. It's salt, flour, cream of tartar, water and oil. It can be colored with koolaid or food coloring (and you can find natural food coloring).

I hear you about the grainy texture of the yucky kind of playdough--bleck!

I agree. If you don't like the graininess, try the cooked recipes w/cream of tartar. Very soft and smooth!

Yep, this is the best recipe ever! Great texture.My kids have always preferred it to actual Play-dough - they are almost-11 and just-13, and yes, I *still* have one big bin o' playdough stuff they haven't let go of yet!