Menu

What do you use to teach cursive to the little ones?

juliajulia

I've never heard of teaching cursive first - until yesterday. I've read up on it a bit and think I'm going to give it a go with my 1st and K this year. Can you please point me to a source. I figure I can just make my own curriculum but realistically I know I'll do better if I have a pre-made workbook.

We like HWT here too. For my little guy, I started him with their little chalkboard... It really helped him get started by tracing in big strokes. I did not buy all their chalk bits and sponge pieces and stuff; I used regular chalk and twisted bits of paper towel.

I even did the bit with taking a photo of him holding the chalkboard where he wrote his name in cursive for the first time-- it's a cute shot!

I used Cursive First. I liked the very thorough manual and the font that they use (because every lower case letter starts at the baseline). But I hated the worksheets. They look like someone just printed them on their computer and then photocopied them many times. There are 2 on a sheet, but they are different sizes such that if you cut them in half, the worksheets are not all the same size. They give a ton of space for practicing individual letters but only enough space to write one or two complete words. It was very frustrating for my dd to not be able to write full words. I used the program for a couple of weeks and then began using StartWrite to create copywork (it has the same font that is used in Cursive First that I am fond of).

Thanks gals!

I love the beauty of Pictures in Cursive.

I've realized I'd really like a program I can print off the computer since I have lots of children.

I believe it was MTCougar that said Teach my Joy printed nicely off the computer. Can you just print? Or did you actually mean you can make nice copies? (Hitting 'print' is just so much easier than copying I am discovering)

Seems like there are many wonderful websites that I could just print off sheets for practice but I think I need someone to tell me, "Teach this. Do this stroke like this. Teach this next." kwim?

Thanks gals!

I believe it was MTCougar that said Teach my Joy printed nicely off the computer. Can you just print? Or did you actually mean you can make nice copies? (Hitting 'print' is just so much easier than copying I am discovering)

You can print. It is a digital download, so you just save the file to your computer and then you can print as many copies as you like. Did you see the samples? It comes with little flashcards of each letter, and on the back it describes how to form the letter. The instructions are all there, including which order to teach the letters in.

http://teachmejoy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=5&zenid=2bde966209906400f385a72663671551

The author is on these forums, and she is really great about answering any questions.

Writing Road to Reading teaches how to write cursive with a verbal script that the teacher says and the children memorize and repeat. The children are TOLD how to draw the letters, rather than expected to SEE what they should copy.

They slowly draw a few perfect letters, instead of doing pages of practice.

I've never heard of teaching cursive first - until yesterday. I've read up on it a bit and think I'm going to give it a go with my 1st and K this year. Can you please point me to a source. I figure I can just make my own curriculum but realistically I know I'll do better if I have a pre-made workbook.

New American Cursive :)

OK, what was I looking at before? Talking Joy of Handwriting here...I totally didn't see any download stuff the first time around. Thanks so much for your guidance. I love how she has to letters set up for tracing - instead of dotted line kind of a fill in the blank. I think my son with Down syndrome will do especially well with that! Thanks y'all!!!

The Abeka K Cursive workbook is excellent.

I use Startwrite to generate my own cursive work for mine now, but I started out teaching my oldest with that Abeka wb, Cursive First (the reproducibles are not great - better off with Startwrite!!!), and plenty of messy mediums (chalk, paint, sand....).