Menu

Movie Quotes for my Classroom

I teach precalculus and calculus. Because our building was used for summer school this summer, I had to clear all of my classroom walls before I left. Now I have a clean slate. I was thinking of putting some fun movie quotes on the walls. We have a new poster printer and I want to have some fun with it. So, what are some good movie quotes?

Are you looking for a particular theme? Something mathy perhaps?

Not like this would be classroom appropriate, but I'm just going to post it because I found it amusing. They have movie quotes going around the ceiling of the hallway at the theatre in our town. One of them is from Airplane!

"Oh stewardess! I speak jive."

That reminded me of how funny that movie is. :D

I always show a clip from Airplane when I teach vectors.

I am looking for some that are inspiring and some that are funny. And if there is some math thrown in, that would be great.

With great power comes great responsibility. Spiderman

Naughty children deserve to be punished. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

We must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope. Star Wars

Do or do not. There is no try. Star Wars

My precious. Lord of the Rings

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. Fellowship of the Ring

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it. Ferris Bueller's Day Off

X never ever marks the spot. Indiana Jones

I do not think it means what you think it means. Princess Bride

If you cannot think of anything appropriate to say you will please restrict your remarks to the weather. Sense and Sensibility

I know the math. Do it! Iron Man

Sometimes you gotta run before you can walk. Iron Man

Like trying to drive a toaster through a car wash. Apollo 13

Failure is not an option. Apollo 13

Let's work the problem people. Let's not make things worse by guessing. Apollo 13

All right, there's a thousand things that have to happen in order. We are on number eight. You're talking about number sixhundred and ninety-two. Apollo 13

We've got to find a way to make this...fit into the hole for this...using nothing but that. Apollo 13

I'm disinclined to acquiese to your request. Pirates of the Caribbean

Savvy? Pirates of the Carib.

If you were waiting for the opportune moment, that was it. Pirates of the Carib.

Edited by silliness7

Might not be appropriate but this is what I'd put in my schoolroom:

"Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities, we didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college! You don't know what it's like out there! I've *worked* in the private sector. They expect *results*." - Ghostbusters

Of course, I'm also a HUGE Ghostbusters fan. :001_smile:

Act, and you shall have dinner; wait, and you shall be dinner.

-Gowron, Klingon proverb, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

In this galaxy there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us.

-Dr. McCoy, Star Trek, “Balance of Terrorâ€

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.

-Captain Picard to Data, Star Trek: The Next Generation, “Peak Performanceâ€

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.

-Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Live long and prosper.

How about some quotes from Stand and Deliver?

wikiquotes

Jaime Escalante: [to his students] There will be no free rides, no excuses. You already have two strikes against you: your name and your complexion. Because of these two strikes, there are some people in this world who will assume that you know less than you do. Math is the great equalizer... When you go for a job, the person giving you that job will not want to hear your problems; ergo, neither do I. You're going to work harder here than you've ever worked anywhere else. And the only thing I ask from you is ganas. Desire.

This quote is from IMDB

Internet Movie Database

Jaime Escalante: Calculus was not made to be easy. It already is.

but this is the quote I remember from the movie

Jaime Escalante’s Legacy

“Calculus does not have to be made easy,†he would say. “It already is.â€

That reminds me of Vector from Despicable Me.

Vector! That's me, because I commit crimes with both direction and magnitude. Oh Yeah!

O.K. I've had way too much fun looking up movie quotes. (from my family's favorite movies, of course) I think I will have to decorate my school room now. Too bad I do not have a poster maker. :glare:

That's awesome. I wish I was teaching geometry or multivariable calc this year.

I don't need easy. I just need possible. - Soul Surfer

Out there is nothing but possibilities. - Solitary Man

If you want to limit yourself, that's fine. But don't let other people do it for you. - Gracie

All this, it's not me. I am more. - Batman Begins

You have so much to enjoy and to be and to do. Your part in the story will go on. - Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Forty thousand years of evolution and we've barely even tapped the vastness of human potential. -Spiderman

Your potential is infinite. You might do anything really. - Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future. -Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring

The path to knowledge is frought with consequences. -Rango

Everything I know, I know from experience. -The King's Speech

This is called logic. It won't hurt you. It will set you free. - American: The Bill Hicks Story

Go, see the world. You will never regret it. - The Namesake

I have five lessons to teach. What lessons they learn is entirely up to them. - Nanny McPhee

Read that book for yourself. Don't read it for no class. - Higher Learning