Menu

listening to a foreign language

Have you ever been half listening to something in a foreign language-- like me sitting here knitting and not paying attention otherwise-- and everything that's being said in this language seems to make perfect sense..... until you realize you don't speak that language and don't have a clue what they said?

It seems like I am most likely to do this with french or german. IDK why.

A woman at my church suggested that we listen to Spanish TV in order to get practice listening. What we could find turned out to be Spanish soap operas -- pretty funny that we could understand it without knowing much of the language. It goes to show that non-verbal communication goes a long way.

It's not exactly the same thing, but if I'm listening to something in one language and typing in another, I will not notice myself switching to the other language while I type. I also accidentally type words I'm speaking when someone interrupts my typing.

There is a lot of common vocabulary in languages with shared history. I bet you recognize a lot of those words even if you don't have any formal practice with the language.

I speak fluent German. Listening to Dutch drives me batty because it is similar enough to the dialect that I am familiar with that it shares some vocabulary and intonation that I feel like I should understand everything but I only understand bits and pieces.

I speak fluent German. Listening to Dutch drives me batty because it is similar enough to the dialect that I am familiar with that it shares some vocabulary and intonation that I feel like I should understand everything but I only understand bits and pieces.

LOL I do that with BBCAmerica all the time when the closed captioning is turned off. It's in English, I know should understand what they're saying....

But that may be it tho. Some bits of conversation probably have a familiar cadence or root words and my brain says, "hey we know that!" Still, it makes me feel a little like the 13th warrior.

I'm in Turkey for the summer and there are days when I suddenly understand everything and days when I don't understand at all. I never know what kind of day it's going to be. Sometimes I wonder if the people around me switched to English, then I realize I'm just having a "good understanding" day.

LOL I do that with BBCAmerica all the time when the closed captioning is turned off. It's in English, I know should understand what they're saying....

LOL - when I was in Germany, a British woman was giving me a ride home. I tried giving her directions in my American English, which she didn't understand. So then she said, "Do you mean..." in her British English which I didn't understand. Then we decided to just switch to German so we could understand each other! :lol:

LOL - when I was in Germany, a British woman was giving me a ride home. I tried giving her directions in my American English, which she didn't understand. So then she said, "Do you mean..." in her British English which I didn't understand. Then we decided to just switch to German so we could understand each other! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I speak (well, understand) Afrikaans as a second language, and listening to Dutch is a similar experience for me. If I "hear" rather than try to actively listen, and if I don't overthink it, I can understand more than if I try to listen.

Have you ever been half listening to something in a foreign language-- like me sitting here knitting and not paying attention otherwise-- and everything that's being said in this language seems to make perfect sense..... until you realize you don't speak that language and don't have a clue what they said?

I had that happen when I first started listening to Irish traditional music, before I studied the language. Very peculiar feeling.