Menu

I was wondering if anyone here has gone to one of the LDS Canneries? I am going tomorrow night with a friend to the one in Georgia. I am trying to get a feel for what to expect. I have never been. Any opinions on food quality? Likes or dislikes? Do you know if they take debit/credit cards or just cash? I would like to be prepared to make the most of it. I am just getting started on long term storage needs.

Thanks,

Tracy

I'm pretty sure they would only take cash or check. They probably don't have facilities to deal with cards.

It will be a Spartan little place, clean, with a very simple dry canning setup (unless you're going to a wet cannery; I've never been to one of those--am going in a month or two). You choose what foodstuff you want to can, pour it into the cans, and run the cans under the machine.

I have found the food quality to be quite good, even things like the fruit punch mix that I expected to hate. The dried refried beans, of course, are inferior to ordinary beans. I much prefer the potato pearls to the potato flakes, but they're harder to come by these days, I think (I never just make a plain batch, but they're great for bulking out your mashed potatoes or thickening soup, etc.). Rice, sugar, flour, etc. are all as good as you'd get at the store--note that canning and storing makes the sugar smell funny, but it makes no difference in cooking. The apples are yummy!

There's probably a bishop's storehouse attached to the cannery. Ask for a tour--they'll almost certainly be happy to give you one and it's interesting to know. And it takes about 5 minutes.

I only recently realized how lucky I am to have a cannery just a few minutes away. They're rarer than I thought!

I LOVE going to the canneries.

here's the advice that someone gave me that did help me...

Dress respectfully modest (no cleavage, tight clothing, miniskirts, etc...)-- not that we would anyway, LOL

Be ready to help.

bring cash or check. (ours says no cc, but yours might)

I LOVE the wheat, juices, apples, fruit, refried beans... cant remember what else. LOL

Never had anything bad.

Kids like the potato pearls they sell.

I usually buy in bulk and take home and put in mylar bags. (cheaper than the cans, and is quicker) It sounds like you're going to a canning session?

be polite and you'll have a WONDERFUL time!

Dress respectfully modest (no cleavage, tight clothing, miniskirts, etc...)-- not that we would anyway, LOL

Hee hee! I didn't think of that--but since you're going to be working with food and lifting boxes, you should wear practical clothes suitable for working. They'll give you the plastic haircovers and gloves. So yeah...not a place for wearing your night-on-the-town clothes! :001_smile:

Check prices compared to your local Costco. Right now in our area Costco is cheaper for rice, flour, and beans. I personally love the dried apple slices....I use them to make oatmeal packets with half a cup of oatmeal, a teaspoon of brown sugar, a few shakes of cinnamon and a few apple slices broken up. Add 1 c. of water and microwave 2.5 minutes---fabulous!

My local cannery takes credit cards, but I'd bring cash or check to make sure.

It's pretty fun and easy. Here is a list of current prices:

http://www.providentliving.org/pfw/multimedia/files/pfw/pdf/123115_HSC_OrderForm_US_ENG_28_APR_2011_pdf.pdf

Not all canneries sell all products, so you might want to call ahead and make sure they have the items you want in stock.

Hee hee! I didn't think of that--but since you're going to be working with food and lifting boxes, you should wear practical clothes suitable for working. They'll give you the plastic haircovers and gloves. So yeah...not a place for wearing your night-on-the-town clothes! :001_smile:

No night-on-the-town clothes is probably obvious. The fact that wearing a sleeveless top will make you stand out is not so obvious. ;)

And if you are taking orders, I'd like some apple slices please. :D If only my Mormon relatives new how easy their Christmas shopping could be . . . :lol:

My local cannery takes credit cards, but I'd bring cash or check to make sure.

It's pretty fun and easy. Here is a list of current prices:

http://www.providentliving.org/pfw/multimedia/files/pfw/pdf/123115_HSC_OrderForm_US_ENG_28_APR_2011_pdf.pdf

Not all canneries sell all products, so you might want to call ahead and make sure they have the items you want in stock.

Wow, I'm impressed. The canneries are getting with the times! Now, if only mine would. :lol:

Thank you all for the great hints. I am taking cash to be safe. I am very excited and now I know what to try for sure. Apples and potato pearls for sure! I wouldn't have thought about the clothes. I dress pretty modestly already but now I can double check to make sure I do not wear anything offensive.

Love the oatmeal recipe. I will making it. I will let you know how it goes!