Menu

Copying things from the library

Without pointing fingers...I want to know if it is ok to copy items you check out from the library...for example, audio books, recipes from cooking magazines, Music cd's and the like. What do you all think...oh it is not for resale...just personal use.

Edited by NEprairemom

Most copy centers will copy 10% of a book for you for personal use, but no more. They'll copy journal articles in their entirely (again, for personal use). If you want to play by the rules, that would probably be it.

The term to search for would probably be "fair use" in google. You can read the guidelines from the government sources, and many interpretations of them. It is not exact, but gives good guidelines, including how much of it you are using.

So, if you are copying a work in entirety to avoid buying it (CD, audiobook, etc), it would be unlikely to be fair use.

Photocopying a recipe or two from a book of hundreds? That is probably fair use.

I worked in publishing for several years, and have a little experience specifically with permissions issues.

Copying any work in its entirety for any reason without written permission is illegal and is theft. Copying a large portion for any reason without written permission is illegal and is theft. It does not matter if you intend to sell it or not--if you want it, you have to buy it OR get permission from the copyright holder.

Fair use generally means a teeny-tiny portion of a work (like a paragraph), and you must cite the correct author.

The only exceptions to this are those works that are in the public domain (usually much older works).

Copying any work in its entirety for any reason without written permission is illegal and is theft.

Just to be anal but the specific crime is copyright infringement. Stealing a copy of the book is theft. Theft is taking a piece of property and denying the proper owner it's use. The victim is the owner of that copy of the book.

Copying a book in it's entirety is infringing of the exclusive rights of the copyright holder to make copies. You're not denying the owner of the book anything, you're denying the holder of the copyright his/hers exclusive right to make copies. The victim is the copyright holder.

It may sound like semantics but I think, in the interest of knowing our rights, it's important to be as specific as possible.:001_smile:

Many of the mp3 or eaudio books available for checkout through our library (from Overdrive) explicitly state they can be burned to disk or loaded to an mp3 player. I'm not sure if there's some code that renders them unplayable after the checkout period has past, but they do say it's ok.

I might copy a recipe or two, but nothing else.

You could actually sit down and copy ALL the recipes in a recipe book and do it legally as long as you did it in your own words. The copyright, as with things like knitting patterns and related "useful" things (crafts mostly, art is different) applies just to the specific text used to communicate the recipe or pattern, not the recipe or pattern itself.

Copyright legislation makes for interesting reading. :)

I worked in publishing for several years, and have a little experience specifically with permissions issues.

Copying any work in its entirety for any reason without written permission is illegal and is theft. Copying a large portion for any reason without written permission is illegal and is theft. It does not matter if you intend to sell it or not--if you want it, you have to buy it OR get permission from the copyright holder.

The only exception to this (as far as I know) is that librarians can make an archival copy of out of print books.

Archives have a bit more leeway because you can't check the material out and a lot of it is in the public domain. There are archival items that can not be copied because someone owns the rights. It can get complicated.

Fair use generally covers 10%. I'll copy out several recipes, photocopy an article, a short story, or a picture. I won't copy audio or video at all.

It may seem like savings, but by following the rules we encourage people to create, write, compose. They might not make those things public without some kind of recompense. If we don't follow the rules, we lose our access to things and ideas.

Plus, its always at the library. Just check it out again.

Without pointing fingers...I want to know if it is ok to copy items you check out from the library...for example, audio books, recipes from cooking magazines, Music cd's and the like. What do you all think...oh it is not for resale...just personal use.

Yes to copying 1 recipe out of a book. No to copying audio books, music CDs and the like

I don't know. I allow my boys to photocopy books at the library for research projects.

We bring home the copies, and highlight the important text. They use the highlighted parts to make their reports. The original text and author is given proper credit in their reports.

The copied paper either is put in the back of their report or shredded.

We use it as a tool to help us. I hardly think it would be considered theft in any way of the imagination.

I have copied the first few lessons out of several popular homeschool curriculum books that our library owns. I've always assumed that it would fall under the fair use part since I'm only copying a small portion of the books. It allows me to try out a couple of lessons before deciding whether I want to purchase the book and still get it returned to the library on time so that others can check the book out (there's always a long waiting list for these books, it seems.)