Menu

I am just wondering about this whole "troll" thing...

I am relatively new to this board. As a matter of fact, this is the first board I have ever been on. Sometimes I wish I would have never stumbled upon this site because it is so darn addicting. Anyhow, my question comes strictly from pure curiosity.

What attributes are considered when a poster is labeled a "troll"?

I have read numerous threads and some of the "controversial". I have noticed that one imparticular poster has been called a troll. I get the meaning of it (well, just put it this way, I know it is not a good thing), but I was just wondering if it was because of offensive comments that warrants this labeling or if there were other things considered.

Let me point out, that I am in no way shape or form saying I agree with anything that this particular poster has posted. It's just after viewng some of the "controversial" threads I thought that maybe some comments from other posters would be equally offensive to some. So... I thought, just maybe, there were other things that contributed to the labeling that I don't know about.

Please fill me in. I don't want to end up being considered a troll because of my lack of knowledge of board etiquette. :001_smile: TIA!

To my understanding, because I have asked a similiar question, it is more to do with that the pster is not really interested in the topic, just interested in getting people all riled up...a "flame war". So a troll would make controversial staements just to make others react and get others mad and aggrevaited. does that make sense?

I know others will be more articulate than I am being this morning.

To my understanding, because I have asked a similiar question, it is more to do with that the pster is not really interested in the topic, just interested in getting people all riled up...a "flame war". So a troll would make controversial staements just to make others react and get others mad and aggrevaited. does that make sense?

I know others will be more articulate than I am being this morning.

But how can we judge whether that is actually the case?

But how can we judge whether that is actually the case?

Only time can lead to that conclusion. Trolls usually do not participate in anything really. They just throw in tidbits to fan the flames and get people riled up. It is hard to discern sometimes. And sometimes it is obvious. I haven't really seen many trolls around here. Some instigators for sure, but I wouldn't call them all trolls. There were a couple that were and others can attest to that better than I.

Troll is internet slang and, despite all the images involving fairy tale trolls, IIRC the origin of the term is in reference to trawling (fishing an area with wide nets) or trolling (fishing an area with many baited lines).

It all came about back in the dark ages of 2400 baud modems and bulletin board systems. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

HTH :D

Another thing that I've seen when someone who is identified as a "troll" is that they create a false persona. Perhaps some of it is rooted in truth, but often there is hyperbole involved if not outright deception. When the hive becomes suspicious, someone usually connects dots to see that there have been conflicting posts particularly related to personal tragedy/family difficulties/etc. Often it seems that the "troll" desires to elicit empathy and create connection in a virtual world because this person is lacking supportive relationships in the real world.

Just my observations!

:) Cindy

I agree with Cindy in that usually, on this forum, when someone accuses someone else of being a troll, what they are saying is that they don't think you can trust the poster to be who they say they are or to be telling the truth about their situation... that they're in it for the reaction only... that they are not sincere, so don't take them seriously. They can be very sophisticated in their way of earning others' trust/allegiance - machiavellian (sp?) even - but in the end they always slip up and people figure them out. Eventually. It's really not that big of a deal, but usually when one is ratted out they end up going away (or reinventing themselves).