Menu

Does your library have DVDs

like TV series', a lot of movies, etc....?

On several of the recent Netflix threads on several boards many have said they will just go to the library and watch movies and/or TV shows that Netflix offers.

So, I treaded off to our local library to see if they carried anything.

Nope! Our library is VERY scarce when it comes to DVDs. We have a shelf of foreign films, a few shelves of older movies, and a shelf of kid's movies. There were NO TV series titles, not even things like Masterpiece Theatre.

I asked and they looked at me like I had two heads.

Dawn

Our library does, but it is a very busy and well supported library. It also gets all kinds of donation. I am guessing lots of the DVDs I see there have been donated.

We also have a huge books on CD collection and a digital library that allows me to download audio books from home and play them on my ipod.

Yes. We have a whole section on the first floor for dvd/audio books/cds/computer games/artwork (yes, you can check out a painting to hang oN the wall). First floor also has the computer section, community rooms, cafe, new book areas, reserved book areas, room for traveling interactive displays (this summer is a Knights/Castles thing from a Minnesota museum), little kids section, older kids section, arts/crafts room, room for therapy dogs, space for summer reading club. Upstairs are all young adult and non-kid books, reference, Genealogical Society book section, lots of study rooms of various sizes, periodicals, administrative stuff, and a huge quiet reading room overlooking the Fox River.

It is a very nice library!!! They have bought all the Cranford dvds as they have come out...and anything else I ask for.

http://www.gailborden.info/m/content/view/453/454/

Edited by JFSinIL

We are in a rural county of 50,000. Our library has about 30 public computers, 1000 children's/young adult DVDs, and 2000 adult DVDs. Many are series, from Little House on the Prairie and Beverly Hills 90210 to 24 and CSI. We also have a smaller branch, and I'm not counting their numbers here.

Because DVDs are popular, an effort is made to keep them current. We also accept donations, and many older DVDs (from 2010 or earlier) are obtained that way. Some areas of our county are very poor, some are wealthy (retirees), but I've always been amazed at how generous they are when it comes to donating.

Our local library has a limited selection of things I'm interested in. They do carry things like the DK Eyewitness videos that I'll pick up for the kids. For some reason they charge for "fiction" based DVDs for kids, but nonfiction are free :confused: so we usually just stick w/ educational videos (once every week or two).

DH often uses the library closest to his employer to find movies for us, as they carry a more extensive selection of things we are interested in. We have been watching Mad Men on DVD from the library.