Menu

Got Miquon in the mail, now what?

mlbuchina

I was so excited about getting Miquon for my dd6. After reading other threads about it, I really feel this is the way to go with her. The thing is, I don't know if I can teach it. I am so used to teaching with Saxon, Miquon is very intimidating to me.

I have the student books and the annotations book and the rods. Now what? How do you schedule it?

:bigear:

I didn't schedule anything. I sat with my dc, gave them the first page in the orange book, opened the Lab Notations book to that page, and went on from there.

Of course, before I even did that, I had taken the Lab Notations book to Kinko's where I had the spine cut off and the book drilled with three holes to put in a three-ring notebook. That way I could open the book where I needed it to be and it would stay open.

You really, really need the First Grade Diary. That, in my opinion, is where the meat of the program lies and gives a very good accounting of how Miquon was taught as it was developed.

Enjoy!

This! While you're waiting on that, do some free play with the rods. Make trains and stairs. My son loves when I place them in a bag and he picks out a certain color. Also, you might check out this pre-Miquon booklet.

OK, I would not cut the spine off the Lab Annotations Book in the first place...

Read Notes to Teachers for ideas on how to start rod play and then do a quick read though of The First Grade Diary to see how the program is designed to work.

Don't just dive into doing lab-pages as you might get freaked-out (needlessly) by the first pages in the Orange book (which look quite odd I will admit).

If you can not resist, just think of strange shapes as "cutie bunnies" or "flowers" and know you are just looking at different types of "sets." It is no big deal. Same with Upper-Case and Lower-Case letters, just different sorts of sets. DO NOT PANIC!!! :D

If you don't panic, and just read the teachers materials the whole thing will make sense. In the mean time let the child play with the rods and have some fun.

If it helps you to know, I almost had a heart-attack when I saw a book full of what looked to me like an alien IQ test. What the heck?!

If you get past that reaction (not everyone does) you will see teaching with Miquon is very natural and easy. Blast though the First Grade Diary (you can return to it again for further study) but a fast read will help you get a big picture and when it "clicks" you will know it.

Best wishes!

Bill (who has been there)

Read Notes to Teachers for ideas on how to start rod play and then do a quick read though of The First Grade Diary to see how the program is designed to work.

Bill (who has been there)

Remember my quest a few months back for "math lab" materials? You recommended Miquon (thanks, Bill). We now have all of Miquon, except for the First Grade Diary. I've read the introduction to the Lab Annotations, and that seems to explain the material well enough that I have a grasp on it (at least for now). Or, I think I do. ;) Is FGD necessary? :bigear:

Remember my quest a few months back for "math lab" materials? You recommended Miquon (thanks, Bill). We now have all of Miquon, except for the First Grade Diary. I've read the introduction to the Lab Annotations, and that seems to explain the material well enough that I have a grasp on it (at least for now). Or, I think I do. ;) Is FGD necessary? :bigear:

For me the FRG was the heart of the whole program. In it I (who was a sincere, but still very uncertain math-teacher) got to see how a master teacher approached teaching children. Reading how she did it opened a flood-gate in my mind. I stated thinking " I would do this", and "I could do that", and "wouldn't it be better to incense this"?

Not everyone may have the same reaction. But if there are two books that made lightbulbs go off in how I though about math, one was Liping Ma, the other was The First Grade Diary.

Bill

For me the FRG was the heart of the whole program. In it I (who was a sincere, but still very uncertain math-teacher) got to see how a master teacher approached teaching children. Reading how she did it opened a flood-gate in my mind. I stated thinking " I would do this", and "I could do that", and "wouldn't it be better to incense this"?

Not everyone may have the same reaction. But if there are two books that made lightbulbs go off in how I though about math, one was Liping Ma, the other was The First Grade Diary.

Bill

Oh. :001_huh: Well that changes things, if you put FGD in the same category as Liping Ma's book. Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics was/is that kind of book for me, too. It's what put me over the edge with Horizons. :banghead: I kept thinking, "This is the way I was taught math... which is why I stink at math." The TM for Horizons would provide the lovely instructions to "teach the student(s) the concept of place value using place value materials." Really? REALLY? The rest of the guidance was more along the lines of how to make inexpensive place value materials out of cardboard if you're too cheap to buy the blocks.

So helpful. :glare:

When I read KTEM, I realized it's not my fault that I'm a math dunce. :D However, it is my fault if I remain one. And if I pass that on to my three girls. Thanks, Bill, I'll get the diary. Here's one teacher who needs all the help she can get.

Oh. :001_huh: Well that changes things, if you put FGD in the same category as Liping Ma's book. Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics was/is that kind of book for me, too.

The FGD is a much more modest book. I don't want to give you the wrong idea. I just felt like I was reading the diary of a mentor. I could see how she taught, how she thought about math, how she deal with children's individual problems, and I was inspired.

It is not so grand a book as Liping Ma's. But while Ma made me profoundly aware of what I did (and did not) want for a math education, after reading her I still wondered how (practically speaking) I was going to get there?

Lore Rassmussen helped me there. I could see how she taught, and it helped me find my inner-teacher. I'm afraid to over-sell the book as who knows what reaches people?

It's what put me over the edge with Horizons. :banghead: I kept thinking, "This is the way I was taught math... which is why I stink at math." The TM for Horizons would provide the lovely instructions to "teach the student(s) the concept of place value using place value materials." Really? REALLY? The rest of the guidance was more along the lines of how to make inexpensive place value materials out of cardboard if you're too cheap to buy the blocks.

So helpful. :glare:

When I read KTEM, I realized it's not my fault that I'm a math dunce. :D However, it is my fault if I remain one. And if I pass that on to my three girls. Thanks, Bill, I'll get the diary. Here's one teacher who needs all the help she can get.

I don't know about Horizons (no experience there) but I kept thinking "this is like my math education" :glare:

Not going to do it to the next generation. No ma'am.

Let me know what you think, will you?

Bill

Note to self: get First Grade Diary. ;)

We just received our wooden intro set today. We've had the plastic ones for a while (the connecting ones) but these work better for things like the shape building and the Alphabet Book, as they don't have the little connecting knob at the end. Whee - so excited to get started.

Note to self: get First Grade Diary. ;)

We just received our wooden intro set today. We've had the plastic ones for a while (the connecting ones) but these work better for things like the shape building and the Alphabet Book, as they don't have the little connecting knob at the end. Whee - so excited to get started.

Don't get me going on those connecting rods :glare: :D

I don't want to build up The First Grade Diary too much. It it is a simple, gentle, practical, modest little book that takes a reader alongside the author teaching the First Year of Miquon. I would see a fully rational person reading it, thinking it was "nice", but wondering what I was going on about.

It was just *the* book that this (somewhat apprehensive about how *I* was going to teach math "differently") dad needed at the time. Many of you are no doubt more evolved than I was at the time. Not to mention of few who will think it's all wacky :tongue_smilie:

BTY:think of the book as First Year Diary (not First Grade) as the discovery method in Miquon is fantastic as a Pre-K or K introduction to math.

Bill

I was so excited about getting Miquon for my dd6. After reading other threads about it, I really feel this is the way to go with her. The thing is, I don't know if I can teach it. I am so used to teaching with Saxon, Miquon is very intimidating to me.

I have the student books and the annotations book and the rods. Now what? How do you schedule it?

:bigear:

I recently made the switch from Saxon to Miquon. I've read the FGD and the Annot. and felt comfortable enough to start my dd4 on them. I've blogged a couple posts about it here. We were in a real groove with them and thoroughly enjoying them when we had an unscheduled move. It's thrown off our whole end of the year. I was planning on schooling year round and we ended up having to take three (almost 4) weeks off. We literally just picked up our regular schedule again this past week. I am hoping to do some more Miquon posts soon.

Also, I don't know if you ran into this little workbook already but its great as a gentle intro to using the rods. My dd2 LOVES it and both girls get excited when I pull the rods out.

But it worked for *me* to do that. Possibly *you* are able to use the Lab Notations without doing so. Maybe you don't need the Lab Notations; I do. :tongue_smilie:

I love the Lab Sheet Annotations book. *I* would just prefer to keep it as a reference book and not cut the spine off.

Bill

Ok Bill, I have to ask, why don't you like the linking cubes? Honestly, for me, the rods seem less well defined. Maybe I'm missing something?

I will admit that I messed up math for my oldest in the elementary years. Even though he's ok now, I am trying not to repeat that with my younger two. Anyway, you opinion is much appreciated.

Denise

Stop it, Bill.

:glare:

You are perilously close to making me buy Miquon. I have kept away from it for years now. My kids don't do manipulatives except for art purposes. Stop making it sound so good!

:tongue_smilie:

:iagree: I had everything planned out and bought. Now that I've been reading all these threads, I'm thinking I need to buy this and chuck the others. Of course, since money grows on a tree in my backyard...:D

Denise

Ok Bill, I have to ask, why don't you like the linking cubes? Honestly, for me, the rods seem less well defined. Maybe I'm missing something?

I will admit that I messed up math for my oldest in the elementary years. Even though he's ok now, I am trying not to repeat that with my younger two. Anyway, you opinion is much appreciated.

Denise

The rods are less defined. That is a "good thing." Children don't (can't) count them. This gets them used to seeing combinations of values, as opposed to counting.

They find the parts together make a "sum", and that the whole less a part yields a "difference." These are fundamental skills to learn if you are going to peruse Singapore or other whole-parts math program.

So better to start with good fundamentals, rather than with a manipulative that encourages counting.

The C Rods also resemble in form and in function the whole-part diagrams (including the bar-diagrams) one will face in Singapore Math. I wish Singapore had included C Rods as an intrinsic part of the program. I really think they missed the boat on this. But parents can use Miquon and C Rods to give their children the "concrete" part of the concrete>pictorial>abstract progression that Singapore Math sets up as the ideal (but in reality largely neglects the "concrete" in favor of the pictorial).

Did I sufficiently answer your question?

Bill

The rods are less defined. That is a "good thing." Children don't (can't) count them. This gets them used to seeing combinations of values, as opposed to counting.

They find the parts together make a "sum", and that the whole less a part yields a "difference." These are fundamental skills to learn if you are going to peruse Singapore or other whole-parts math program.

So better to start with good fundamentals, rather than with a manipulative that encourages counting.

The C Rods also resemble in form and in function the whole-part diagrams (including the bar-diagrams) one will face in Singapore Math. I wish Singapore had included C Rods as an intrinsic part of the program. I really think they missed the boat on this. But parents can use Miquon and C Rods to give their children the "concrete" part of the concrete>pictorial>abstract progression that Singapore Math sets up as the ideal (but in reality largely neglects the "concrete" in favor of the pictorial).

Did I sufficiently answer your question?

Bill

Yes, that is an excellent explanation. So, it is my own background that steered me towards the linking cubes - something to count. Thank you very much, Bill.

Denise

Stop it, Bill.

You are perilously close to making me buy Miquon. I have kept away from it for years now. My kids don't do manipulatives except for art purposes. Stop making it sound so good!

:tongue_smilie:

For little ones (like ones who can barely write) it is so awesome. They play. They learn all the basics of whole parts math. You can give them a bunch of equations, say 3+[ ]=5 and they can run off and solve the problems themselves. Just turned 4 year olds feel so big and competent and autonomous when they can do it themselves.

You can say: Show me all the ways you can find to make "9" and their minds and fingers move making stacks of all the possible combos. It is heart-warming stuff!

And does it sink in! They are learning. It is not being "talked at", they are the active partner. Not to say there isn't a teacher-intensive aspect to a "discovery" math program for little ones. There is. And parents need to study.

That way when Johhny or Suzy says look Mommy 5 and 3 is the same as 3 and 5, you know to say: "Yes darling, you have discovered the Commutative Law." And then set up some further "proofs" of the Commutative Law with rods. Fun stuff, and when they are done playing with it they "own" the Commutative Law of Addition. They discovered it after all ;)

Bill

Yes, that is an excellent explanation. So, it is my own background that steered me towards the linking cubes - something to count. Thank you very much, Bill.

Denise

You would not be alone. The Singapore HIGs (which I think are pretty good in most respects) use linking rods. I wish they used C Rods instead. Any of the linking rod activities can be "translated" to C Rods quite easily.

But anything you can do to get you child to start out seeing "groups" that make "parts" and combinations of "parts" that make a "whole" (without counting) is a good thing.

I made many kinds of cards. Ones with two rows of red dots (for Ten), ones with 5 Yellow Dots and 5 Blue Dots in a row (to emulate an AL/RS Abacus, we used dominoes to add sums, and all sorts of dice. Anything I could find or create to get my child to see "sets" (groups) without counting them.

Bill

For little ones (like ones who can barely write) it is so awesome. They play. They learn all the basics of whole parts math. You can give them a bunch of equations, say 3+[ ]=5 and they can run off and solve the problems themselves. Just turned 4 year olds feel so big and competent and autonomous when they can do it themselves.

You can say: Show me all the ways you can find to make "9" and their minds and fingers move making stacks of all the possible combos. It is heart-warming stuff!

And does it sink in! They are learning. It is not being "talked at", they are the active partner. Not to say there isn't a teacher-intensive aspect to a "discovery" math program for little ones. There is. And parents need to study.

That way when Johhny or Suzy says look Mommy 5 and 3 is the same as 3 and 5, you know to say: "Yes darling, you have discovered the Commutative Law." And then set up some further "proofs" of the Commutative Law with rods. Fun stuff, and when they are done playing with it they "own" the Commutative Law of Addition. They discovered it after all ;)

Bill

Not. Helping.

Where is a PP tree when I need one?

The C-Rods also work really nicely for illustrating bar models with the Singapore word problems :)

You wouldn't be able to do that with marked rods (linking).

You can also use the rods for fractions (think Miquon discusses this in the annotations). Let the orange be 1, and now the white is 1/10.

I also really like how Miquon does division - showing it as a binary operation and going to mixed numbers right away instead of showing as a quotient and a remainder.

You would not be alone. The Singapore HIGs (which I think are pretty good in most respects) use linking rods. I wish they used C Rods instead. Any of the linking rod activities can be "translated" to C Rods quite easily.

But anything you can do to get you child to start out seeing "groups" that make "parts" and combinations of "parts" that make a "whole" (without counting) is a good thing.

I made many kinds of cards. Ones with two rows of red dots (for Ten), ones with 5 Yellow Dots and 5 Blue Dots in a row (to emulate an AL/RS Abacus, we used dominoes to add sums, and all sorts of dice. Anything I could find or create to get my child to see "sets" (groups) without counting them.

Bill

How do you add sums without counting? I'm referring to the "dominoes to add sums," (sorry, I haven't figured out how to partial quote). Can we just have coffee one morning and discuss elementary school math? Seriously, I want to get it right this go around.

Thanks.

Denise

The C-Rods also work really nicely for illustrating bar models with the Singapore word problems :)

Yep, because they are essentially the same thing.

Yep.

You can also use the rods for fractions (think Miquon discusses this in the annotations). Let the orange be 1, and now the white is 1/10.

Fractions and decimals. We recently worked on decimals. I took a base-10 flat (normally a 100 value) and said: Let's change the value to 1-Unit (that is to say "One"). Now Orange Rods formerly 10s were now 1-Tenths and the other Rods were now Hundredths. It was so easy.

I also really like how Miquon does division - showing it as a binary operation and going to mixed numbers right away instead of showing as a quotient and a remainder.

:iagree:

Bill

Bill

Dana - yes, the division issue came up w/my oldest. He was so frustrated because he knew the answer was a fraction and thought the remainder instructions were dumb (his word). For him, a kid who figured things out quickly, he was frustrated by this type of instruction. Once I wised up, thanks to Myrtle and the whole math gang here, and switched him to Russian Math, he was much happier. Well, he threw a few pencils but he still preferred it. So, I do understand that part of it.

Denise

How do you add sums without counting? I'm referring to the "dominoes to add sums," (sorry, I haven't figured out how to partial quote). Can we just have coffee one morning and discuss elementary school math? Seriously, I want to get it right this go around.

Thanks.

Denise

For sums greater than 10 you make 10s and Units.

So, 8+7. 8 needs what to be a Ten? 2.

If 7 gives 2 to the 8 so it can be a Ten the 7 becomes a what? 5. Very good.

So now have 1-Ten and 5-Units. In our funny language we call 1-Ten 5-Units "fifteen."

A child can do this with or without rods.

For sums less than Ten they can play with rods and learn the relationships easily. If they have a 3 rod and a 2 rod they can prove it to themselves (easily) that the sum is the same as a 5 rod. Through playful exploration the combinations sink in.

Same with finding "differences."

Bill

Paypal tree. Aka money I don't need for silly things like food instead :lol:.

My 3-year-old is at the perfect stage for them. Blargh.

Look for Miquon stuff here on the For Sale forum.

I imagine a fair number of people order it, take one look, think it is the weirdest thing they ever saw, think they could not possible teach it, and sell it cheap.

It's how I got mine ;) :D

Bill

Look for Miquon stuff here on the For Sale forum.

I imagine a fair number of people order it, take one look, think it is the weirdest thing they ever saw, think they could not possible teach it, and sell it cheap.

It's how I got mine ;) :D

Bill

Oh, I did :lol:. $33, $40, $30+shipping. Not bad at all; I just don't have that now. We're burning through curricula so fast right now that I already blew through the HS budget for the foreseeable future just to stay caught up on what we have.