Menu

Reading goals/888 lists revisited

Just wondering how you all are doing on your 888 lists or other reading goals for the year? I've only read about 19 of mine so far. I keep getting distracted with books not on my list. At the moment I'm reading The Ecclesiastical History of the English People - Bede. So...how are you doing? What are you reading now? :lurk5:

Although I would not do this again. It has put to much pressure on my reading. I have felt like I have to read what is on the list, or at least finish the catagories. I have changed a few books from my original list. I have only read one book that did not fit into a catagory. I will be very happy to finish, which I should do sometime in June. When I have finished I am sure I will be happy with the accomplishment.

I got started later in the year but I have 13 done so far. I am currently in the middle of about 4 books, I get sidetracked fairly easily. Once school is done I'm going to focus on getting through some of the thick classics on my list.

I may be revising my list some, but I just received an amazon order today and then bought 3 more at the thrift store. Good thing we have a lot of bookcases.

My list is posted on my elegant lion blog.

I've read about 26 and am currently on The Woman in White, also on my list, which I am loving!! My 888 list was meant to keep me on track just slightly so that I'm more intentional in what I read, but I find gems along the way and can't help myself. :D

I've read about 26 and am currently on The Woman in White, also on my list, which I am loving!! My 888 list was meant to keep me on track just slightly so that I'm more intentional in what I read, but I find gems along the way and can't help myself. :D

I've read about 21 so far this year and right now I am also reading The Woman in White and enjoying it a great deal. I have changed my list somewhat but knew I probably would - that's all right.

I'm not doing as well as I'd hoped. :(

My Mum is here for an extended visit (3 months) and I've spent most of that time chatting or hanging out with her, leaving very little time for reading.

I've read 23 books from my list so far, and a few others that weren't on my list.

I hope to get back on track over the summer weeks. I have enjoyed the list as my 'go to' for guided reading choices rather than the total randomness of previous years.

An 888 list is a list of books you want to read this year. There are 8 categories, 8 books in each category, and 8 books can be duplicated. If you read everything on your list, you end up reading 56 books. Unless you're like me and keep reading other books too.:001_smile:

An 888 list is a list of books you want to read this year. There are 8 categories, 8 books in each category, and 8 books can be duplicated. If you read everything on your list, you end up reading 56 books. Unless you're like me and keep reading other books too.:001_smile:

Ok that seems MUCH more manageable... I was picturing Eight HUNDRED Eighty Eight books on your book list!

Tell me more about this list. What are the 8 categories? Are they books you pick for yourself or is there a list somewhere?

The 8 categories are whatever you decide for them to be. Mine are:

Books For School

Books Acquired in 2006 I Haven't Read Yet

Books Acquired in 2007 I Haven't Read Yet

Poetry

Books From the Shelves I Haven't Read Yet

History/Biography

Kids' Books

Mystery

What a neat idea! I've never heard of this before but since I am a list maker of all things, I find this intriguing. It would probably help me to get out of my reading comfort zone too. I'm curious about the process you used to go about choosing 8 topics and 8 books for each topics? I'm sure I could do it, but it seems like it would take a few months for me to complete that sort of list, not something I could come up with in a day or two.

What a neat idea! I've never heard of this before but since I am a list maker of all things, I find this intriguing. It would probably help me to get out of my reading comfort zone too. I'm curious about the process you used to go about choosing 8 topics and 8 books for each topics? I'm sure I could do it, but it seems like it would take a few months for me to complete that sort of list, not something I could come up with in a day or two.

I found it to be quite intriguing as well and spoke to my irl friends about it yesterday. For me the 888 sounds a bit overwhelming and I was considering doing a 530 instead. HA! 5 lists of 3 books each where none overlap. I too am a list maker, so it is no surprise I have come up with 5 categories but will have to do more research before adding books to my list.

I am currently reading 42-45 on my list. I have really enjoyed it, but I always read from lists. I've also added several that weren't on my list.

Here is what I'm reading now.

42. Watership Down by Richard Adams (read aloud to kids)

43. The Grey King by Susan Cooper (audio book with kids)

44. The Autobiography of Malcolm X

45. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay (Chabon) (audiobook)