Menu

More organizing/decluttering questions

Do you have a RULE for tossing?

I found a HUGE plastic bucket/bin full of CORDS. It was like this in California in our home and got transferred here like that and 6 years later, it is still a jumbled mess and never been touched.

Do I have permission to toss the entire lot of it?

Dawn

Wow. One year? Hmmmmm.....

Now, what about things that hold some sentimental value, but you know you won't ever hang up again because it just is very 80s or 90s style, but it was given to you by someone special????

Just find a box for that stuff?

Dawn

Absolutely.

I've started tossing things out I can't identify or haven't used in a year.

Do you have a RULE for tossing?

I found a HUGE plastic bucket/bin full of CORDS. It was like this in California in our home and got transferred here like that and 6 years later, it is still a jumbled mess and never been touched.

Do I have permission to toss the entire lot of it? Permission Granted

Dawn

Toss, toss, toss. Find a bag and put 20 things in it, and toss it..guilt and thought free. Let it become a habit.

http://www.flylady.net might help. Keep going!

Wow. One year? Hmmmmm.....

Now, what about things that hold some sentimental value, but you know you won't ever hang up again because it just is very 80s or 90s style, but it was given to you by someone special????

Just find a box for that stuff?

Dawn

Def toss the cords.

I was just reading an organizational book and the advice about sentimental items was to ask yourself "Will this person mean any less to me if I get rid of this item?"

Sometimes in situations like that DH and I will say to one another-

"if we really find we regret throwing this out, we give ourselves permission to rebuy if needed."

The need to rebuy very, very, very rarely has happened. Knowing we could replace it if absolutely necessary makes it easier to toss/donate.

I go by the 1 year rule here too. (The exceptions to that rule are extremely rare. At 38 years old I have probably made less than 10 exceptions total.)

Photo book with captions/paragraphs:

Just because an object causes you to feel sentiment does not mean the object is valuable and worth keeping. If you're using objects to trigger memories, I suggest taking digital photos of each of them, writing out the cherished memories the object triggers, uploading the photo and caption/paragraph to an online site that will print them in a beautiful hardbound book, and keep the book for yourself and your family members.

Sentimental items: have a clearly defined limited space.

I have a cedar chest. All of my sentimental items are contained in that chest. If the chest won't close, then it's time to throw things away until the lid closes. (No exceptions to that rule.)