Menu

Artistic Pursuits?

Well, I used Artistic Pursuits with my ds7 twins this past year, Book One for their first grade. I'll be real honest with you and say that I'm about half-way through. I found it hard to get in an art lesson a week with Artistic Pursuits. I think a third grader would find it a little condescending. The first grade student might have fun, but I don't know that he would learn much other than the types of media available to work with. Some things we enjoyed, much I needed to give more direction on that was found in the book.

I disliked it enough that I will be making a change for next year. Is it a bad program? I don't think so, but it wasn't what we needed since I have two boys who want to improve in their drawing more than experiment with different forms of art.

Do not worry about the ages on Artistic Pursuits. I think you could use the k-3 all the way through elementary school. What we did this past year was to do the reading about the artist and the looking at the art work one day and then the project on another day. It worked out really well for us and I was pretty much able to get through everything I wanted (I did a combination of book 1 and book 2 so I could follow along with our history).

We have both Artistic Pursuits 1 (for my K-er) and Meet the Masters for his age ... so far, I prefer the Meet the Masters program, which is interesting & fun for him, and has us doing things we wouldn't otherwise. I haven't actually gone far with the Artistic Pursuits, which seemed boring for his age, and am hoping to use it another year; if you do a search for Artistic Pursuits you can find some posts from others who felt similarly about AP1. Those folks find Artistic Pursuits 2 to be much better, and as I recall it is also appropriate for early elementary. I wish I'd found that before I purchased AP1!

We're combining MTM with Art for the Very Young, which delights me as someone who has worked with children and studied art history -- it's a bit of prep work sometimes, but my son is not normally wild about art projects, and he's had so much fun with these.

good luck!

Edited by serendipitous journey
added information